The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Great and welcome to the Asylum HighwayChile :thumb

The best maps can't replace the local knowledge even for a master trip planner like R-dubb and so with you in WA and Mully in South California (and I'm sure others) we'll have a much better coverage!
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, welcome. It's great to have you on-board.

All dirt is unrealistic for sure. The idea is to stay high and traverse north. The other problem in The Cascades (has nothing to do with closures) is that the many ranges are separated by large rivers or dammed lakes. That's why the roads are all dead end. The only way through is over highway bridges which tend to be at the bottom of the hill. The beauty of the Pacific Crest Trail is that it stays above all the deep water crossings except the Columbia River. Unfortunately, that's not possible on a GS.

I'm going to post a bunch of larger scale maps on Smugmug to give the draft route detail. Then if you can ride some of it and let me know what you find, that would be fab. I can also e-mail S&T files for any portion that interests you or anyone else for that matter. Just let me know from the small maps which sections you want files of. I can e-mail Garmin files as well. Just need to know which map set you wish to use. Thanks.

:dj
    R-dubb
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I can help Mully scout the Southern stuff (If he'll let me !!!)
  4. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    You only need to know one thing about riding with Mully. He always goes first, cause the man does not like getting dust on his cloths. :rofl :rofl

and Toad, I know you don't have a problem with that....

R-dubb
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Yeah, yeah.

R-Dubb how long are you going to be off two wheels? Are you thinking about this trek next summer?
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    please post more detailed route info. I do know the pacific crest in washington goes through a number of wilderness areas, and much more is nonmotorized, anyhow sounds like a good time, of course you could paint your bike puke green pass off as a park worker, strap on a chain saw, look the part
  7. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    let apply "fight Club" tecnology to this canandrum...
    if R-dubb's aprove of course...

We have ADVrider menbers all over the place,,I'm sure we have some "close"(in reach at least) to each part of that Awesome trail.

I will propose to get 'explorers"sign for each section,then they will provide a "scout finding" on a predeterminated format,,you know pictures difficulties,,ranger trouble,interesting features,trail difficulty,gas camping,,etc.
    that way we multiplied the efford into many more facets,and diminish the "maybe" tedius scouting process(you know you can only go so long in a week end,),if was done by one person ,,will take forever specially the farder it gets from base camp....

you see the military training comes to play...

Captain ,My CAPTAIN at your service I am:ricky
  9. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is certainly an excellent aproach. It will take me some time to boil down each section. This must be done to communicate where I believe potential roads are. No point sending folks out to ride roads that don't string together. One of the biggest issues will be finding locked gates and then locating an good alternate. Since I know the middle works at least in some predictable way. I'll work each end by posting a sequence of maps on smugmug. Then the ideas will flow more easily.

I work with AAA, US Forest maps, Topo! USGS, Benchmark Atlas, MS S&T, and Garmin.

MS S&T is the best for communication and has a very complete database of "open" roads. Doesn't say squat about road conditions.

Benchmark has very good topo and road condition information. Not very complete, however.

Forest Maps are great in terms of detail, but expensive and large, also hard to read. I have most but not all of CA.

Topo! (USGS) gives a good idea about terain, but you can't find the roads. I use it as a cross check only. not very helpfull, imo.

Lastly, Garmin Mapsouce kind of sucks for planning routes, but in the field with waypoints loaded properly in the GPS, it saves tons of time and tracks information flawlessly. There are lots of complications I won't go into.

So, I will communicate online with MS S&T and hopefully be able to issue Garmin files for field work. If waypoints are id'd in Garmin files with a number and then explained in writing we can put together a nice scouting system.

The bottom line is, I'm ultimately looking for a GPS file that takes all the guess work out of finding trailheads and making turns. Otherwise, staying on the route becomes more or less impossible, short of roll chart quality documentation, which would be unimaginable for a trip of this magnitude.

If all that doesn't work, then the next best thing might be paper. AAA maps with US Forest maps to augment.

Be patient, my friends. I'll sort it out one step at a time. BTW, This is great! Thanks for all of your support and enthusiasm.

R-dubb
  10. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    OK, I went into Smugmug tonight and set up galleries to contain maps and comments, etc.

Uploaded over 100 jpegs of each trail section. The scale is still not close enought to read all the road names, but you can see where they are.

Here is a link to the Maps: Pacific Crest Quest

Wooh...it's big.

So the route is divided into 14 sections, each with a gallery, an over view map and detailed maps. As a section gets refined, I'll update the info. The route is currently one big file. I will break it into sections and repost with mileage only for the section as time permits.

I would be thrilled if some folks want to go out and scout a section or two. Just let me know and I'll set you up with Garmin files, maps, whatever you want. Also, if you know some of the roads or have suggestions for alternatives use the Smugmug comment buttom to make sugestions withing the appropriate gallery.

this could be fun....

R-dubb
  11. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Wow , lot of work you have done. I just rode some of this a couple days ago. Wa/Twisp, hwy 20 etc
    the road FR300 mi 2983 goes right by a inlaws, there is a bitchin camp site black pine lake ( I think) on that rd. nicelake .
    I should be able to cut out some of your pavement. you dont want to fight the motorhomes on hiway 2 by leavenworth.

An alternate end would be harts pass, less paved rd of hwy 20, hellish views

do you want to end in BC?

the guy I road with last week owns some property near lake wenatchee ( GS'er) he knows a lot of that area
  12. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Holly cow! That's a titanic job you've done!!!

I will have a closer look and let you know which ones I can test...

Thanks for doing that, Man :clap
  13. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    that would be great! Just let me know what works.

The reason I'm thinking about ended the route at Slate Peak is because that is on the Pacific Crest Trail and would then allow a 15 mile hike to the border on the trail.

Sounds like you've got some great ideas. keep 'em coming. I've got much more work to do in the part of the world.

R-dubb
  14. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    To make it easy to share information on this project, I've opened a Yahoo Briefcase which allows public file sharing.

I will post Garmin and MS Streets and Trips files for the project in this location: Pacific Crest Quest

There's nothing much there yet!

R-dubb
  15. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Oregon all mapped out, will post some pics later. The Oregon section may be my only trip this summer. I have found a way to get in lots of dirt roads with some gravel, and some pavement, generally parralel to the PCT corridor, in some cases crossing the PCT many times. Most of the routes you will need each national forest map to find the roads, as they are not on road maps.
    I have done parts of it on a bicycle. This route is much more scenic than the other known route farther east in the desert.

Bentspoke
  16. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic!

If I were to send you a set of USFS maps would you be willing to line out your route and make some comments. I would be totally stoked about that! My route gets through Oregon fairly well, but is completely untested!

R-dubb
  17. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just did hwy 138 to old McKenzie Pass (hwy 242) yesterday and this morning. I will post pics tonight in Ride reports. And yes I can help with route road #'s etc.
    I may also confirm the area from 138, south to CA border, in the coming weeks. This section is a little more problematic as there are several ways to do it. Whereas the central section I just did again, has only one really good possibility.
    Red Menace may be a good source to get road numbers for the northern third of OR, since it is in his backyard. I have some general ideas, but he may know some better ways to do it.
    Anyway check out the pics of Oregons most scenic backroad.
    Oh, here is a sample........
    Bentspoke
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I'm going to scope out around Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead (to start) I think I can keep us on more dirt and save some miles... probably not time, but miles. We may have to make some dicisions regarding difficulty... with loaded bikes and all. I'll post a report soon.

Mully... We should get in touch and plan.
  19. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    you can get much closer to the crest in Northern Oregon and Southern Washington than your posted map shows. I was just up in the Gifford pinchot for a week and criss crossed the crest trail numerous times. You can pick up the trail at the Columbia, near Beacon Rock. There is a dirt road that goes North from there past Triangal Rock and intersects Rock Creek Rd. Youcan get to Carson from there and follow panther Creek up to FS60 over Forlorn Lakes and Mosquito lakes, staying very close to the trail or dodge West and go over Cougar Rock(much better ride). Hook around Indian Heaven wilderness and head over towards FS 23( I think-the road from Troutlake to Randle, not the one over Mt St Helens) At FS 90 you can get a dirt road that goes North to Packwood West of the Yakima Indian Reservation and the Goat Rocks Wilderness, go around Raineer and pick up the Natches Jeep trail and hook up over Stampede Pass- the Crest is just East of you.[​IMG]
  20. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    from Detroit Oregon take FS46 north to FS42, US26 north to Trillium Lake(gas at Detroit, Gas at CJs on 26, Gas at Welches gas at ZigZag)Go West around Trillium Lake on FS2612get back on 26 going West about 1 1/2 miles to ZigZag, go North over Lolo Pass to Dee and Hood River; I 84 to Cascade Locks or cross the Columbia at HR to SR 14 and West to Beacon Rock. See prevouss post. Gas in Carson gas in Stabler gas in Troutlake, gas in Randle gas in Packwood. Maybe gas and definately good burgers and huckleberry milkshakes in Northwoods.