The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    I have actually parralelled the crest trail from Crescent Lake, south of Bend Oregon, North to the Columbia. It is late and I would need to dig out the maps. Much of the route is paved forest service road, often one lane,some is gravel or dirt, some is highway. You need the forest service maps for each Natl forest you pass thru, they are the best source of reliable info. Beware of logging trucks and check the fire situation, particularly in Central Oregon before you go.
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr's Menace and Spoke,

Thanks a bunch for all the good info. I've been busy the past couple of days and haven't had the maps out again. I have most of the CA USFS maps, but need to get some for OR, WA and Southern CA. I'll do that soon.

I'm pleased to hear that my route can be improved upon! Good news so far. I'm sure I'll have questions as I get into it some more.

:dj
    R-dubb
  3. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Toad,

Can I provide you with any additional info? Do you have a GPS? I know Mully has one.

Thanks for pitching in. Have fun and try to stay cool.

R-dubb
  4. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I have a hand held GPS. It's crappy for "navigating" but I can use it to mark points (I kind of like getting lost then trying to find my way out). In the Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead area there are lots of 4x4 trails, it looks like we could use them as a more direct route. I remember them as being GS-able... tough... but GS-able. I'll run them either in the truck or on the bike and post results.

I am going to wait until after Labor Day so things quiet down a little out on the trail.
  5. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the time frame for this trip. Is there one yet? I'm very itnerested, and it so happens, I expect that I will have LOTS of free time in the coming months. Is it more a matter of when it all gets mapped out? I have a topo for SoCal, as well as the complete Delorme Topo (7-CDs). I can try and help with any routes in this area.
  6. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    howdie Spag...

I hate to be vague, but at this point don't have a clear idea of when the route will be ready for prime time. Meaning a single trip for the entire length. My best guess is Summer of '05. This is because there are many sections which will need to be scouted next Summer. The snow does not leave a very wide seasonal window for much of the route.

Mully is working on the southern sections starting in a week or so. Also, I've posted a Garmin file that can be downloaded for Sections A-D. It requires Mapsource 5.0 (free upgrade on Garmin site), and it uses Metroguide 4.0 maps. It will also work with Roads and Rec, for those who do not have Metroguide.

Pacific Crest Download Files

If you are interested in scouting some of the sections let me know. I'll find out which sections Mully and Toad want to work on in a few days.

R-dubb
  7. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Mully and I are going to hook up this weekend (9/7 I think) to get started. Our first step will be to spred out some maps (Mully and I are both map people) open some beers and line up what R-dubb has already done. Depending on how long that takes (translation: how drunk we are) we'll start riding some sections.:1drink :2beer :slurp
  8. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    :eek1 That far away!?!?!?! :arg

Yes, I know your reasons are good and it probably cannot be done earlier BUT... can we try? I'm so impatient as I'm sure many of you are. I thought that between the riders we have in Washington and Oregon + the SoCAL team we could be OK for summer '04.

I will be ready to scout NorCAL beginning of October: just tell me what needs to be checked and let's hope the snow will not come to early this year.
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I'm with you Jean-Luc! I've been telling people that this is on for Summer '04!
  10. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:
    Hear! Hear! Summer of '04!
  11. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I was afraid of meeting a little resistance on that.....

I'm all for making it happen next Summer. If we can get enough folks out to scout, I can keep the maps flowing and updated. 3200 miles not including getting to and from the trailheads is a lot of work.

Let me make-up a little chart for folks to sign-up for Pacific Quest missions. We'll see how it goes. I just sent Mully a package of stuff that covers Sections A-C. I went to USGS and bought maps for OR and WA. They say I'll have them in four weeks...as they don't carry out of state USFS maps.

R-dubb
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    3200miles... 50-60% dirt... on big, fat, heavy bikes... loaded with gear... Oh yeah! This is gonna be good! How are we all going to make the CO thing if we're lost on the PCT?
  13. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Jeez Strider,

Not only do you need to get a bike, but you gotta learn how to ride the sumabitch. Times a wastin'.:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

R-dubb
  14. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    GOOD! To get more folks scouting maybe we should transfer this thread to "Coming events". "Regional" doesn't get much attention...

I know it's a huge work for you but it would be wonderful to have a list of trails already knowned by ADVriders or already scouted and the ones that still need to be done with a volunteer name (and date?) in front of it. Let me know if I can help on that...
  15. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I figure Toad & I will handle from Mexico to maybe the Lake Isabella area or maybe a little further up. With my wife's idjit gUUUUUrl fRIenddddddd from Texas here this week, I plan to get a jump-start on scouting Saturday and Toad's joining Sunday!! :getdown

2004 ? Realistically, its not long now until weather's going to limit high country exploration even if people have the time and willingness. It'll be one helluva "Gypsy Tour" when it comes off if there are also folks who're willing to put up with the "Rolling AdvRider Party" when it comes to their town! `Twil make Hope Valley look like a Sunday school class! :evil

mully
  16. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Hey Mully... Does that mean we're riding two up on Sunday???
  17. jimstrider

jimstrider Adventure StRider

Oddometer:
    FYYFF :arg

Yes, it's been a few years since I rode dirt, but when I did ride dirt, I did it a lot. I am fully confident that I will have my "dirt legs" back in time for this ride.

And I'm just looking for the right bike. I'm sure I'll have one in time to get in a few, if not several, months of practice. :1drink
  18. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    No two-up, though I may take the Disco Saturday - just to get outta range of the two o' them - and scout from Campo north to Banning. Call me and we'll work out a plan. (Does it still count if you scout trail in a 4x4??) :evil

mully
  19. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Can you send me the link for the 5.0 upgrade? On the Garmin site the only one available is the 4.13 and I cannot open your file with it :(:
  20. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    I can get to some of the north/central wash. before the monsoon/snow, I am or know riders that have ridden that area a lot,
    in central wash, so many closures- roslyn, cle elum area was the best off road riding possibly in the universe, a lot is shut down, but I am sure we can find a bitching route , .
    I do not have a GPS, more tech I need to learn......

comments on local watering holes, bike shops, gas would be good.

re the USGS maps, REI ( ya know those tree huggin' granola crunchers) is a good source for maps.

trying to attach image from recent ride , this is harts pass ( go to winthrop, head west 30 mi) looking east, not on your route but general area

Attached Files: