The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Well, I just have the old GPS III, can ya get me the detailed, GPS coor, route info in a form I can use for areas ya want me to check?
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah....that's easy. I just load the file into my unit, mark some USFS maps (which I have) and give all the stuff to you. The GPS certainly isn't doing me much good at the moment. Take a look at Cpt. Ron's new thread. Grizzly Peak is about where you would end up. Nice area!

:dj
    R-dubb
  3. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Hey Rad....I bet you could talk Ricky into heading out with you! Course you might be thinking motorhome with Rad Mama too!

R-dubb
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rick, that's a nice route, from Kaiser Pass to Wishon, very purdy but just be sure you're clear: it's not anywhere near the crest, which is way east of those parts. But that general route, from Bass Lake up through The Balls, Clover Meadow, Mammoth Pool, North Fork, Huntington Lake, Kaiser Pass, Dusy Ershim, Courtwright, Wishon, Pine Flat... is great riding. The PCQ sounds like an epic ride.
  5. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I'll try Fish camp to Highway 4 (bear country) sisafied, mordified :yikes I guess this is one way to get me to buy a GPS. I know this isn't the place for suggestions on GPS but I need one like yesterday and no I don't need 48" plasma. I may be looking for a volunteer if my riding partner bails on me.
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Maybe ,,were are we going:confused

My bike is not exaclly falling apart but she needs some TLC..ricky style,,plus I have the "Aqua-pop" presentation the week of the 20 and then the next week,,

but count on me,I'm always for a good ride....
  7. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Not to worry....that section is fairly low in elevation compared to others. Reason being, there are no dirt roads that pass all the way through Yosemite, so we will be passing by on the West side and then climbing up to cross 108 at Pinecrest. There are some roughish trails, but lots of choices if an alternate is required. For GPS there are only two good choices for your bike, IMO. Garmin GPSV or Garmin 176 B/W. We can talk more. Send me a PM. Yeah, you should find someone to go with. For sure you don't want to be out there solo.

BTW, if you only make it from Fish Camp to 108 or even 120, that's OK too.

Thanks for helping out.

R-dubb

Attached Files:

8. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Even the stuff your describing is mostly to far east. You see, in the sierras there are two big problems, or assets, depending on perspective. National parks and Wilderness Areas along the PCT. Wonderful for hikers. Not so good for assholes on motorbikes. Anyway, when you move down the mountain to catch open trails another big problem kicks in, water crossings. There aren't many primative crossings at middle elevations through deep rivers. That pushes the route further down the mountain to pick-up crossings that allow north/south travel. It's a tall order, but there are ways to make it a great dirt adventure and then get back up high as terrain and boundaries allow.

R-dubb
  9. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    some snow recently in north washington, the season is short
  10. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Yupp... I was just looking at a satellite map yesterday. Clearly showed lots of white stuff at the higher elevations. I've come to realize that Harts Pass and Slate Peak are the same! Shows you what I know about your area... I've got the USFS maps for all of OR & WA except Okanogan. They were out of stock and I've reordered from another source.

I would like to send you the Wanatchee and Oknaogan maps for you to review. PM me your address if you would like to do this. In the mean time I'll post some proposed ideas for your review.

Since riding the north will not be possible this year, I'm hoping there will be enough knowledge available to make a July trip from bottom to top possible without much direct scouting. Bentspoke is working on Southern and Central OR. I plan to hit up Red Menace for Northern OR and Southern WA as he seems to know the area well.

California is mostly coming together with a few gaps here and there. Thanks for the weather report. :splat

I'll post some more maps soon.

R-dubb
  11. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Hey Chile,

Please check out these maps and let me know if the route looks like the best way to end up at Harts Pass. Lake Chelan cuts a big swath, so I'm sure that going around the south end is the only way. It also looks like there are no through roads west of Winthrop. if there is a better way to cut across SR20 from the west let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again,

R-dubb
  12. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    10-4,
    I should be able to before the snow flies.
    I have a relative in Carlton that has hiked & worked the back area of this, I will try to post some more images of harts pass, and the road past it. FR314 has active placer mining, road goes to crap in a washout, but passible, just not a lot of fun on a loaded out GS1100 ( buddy) or Quota (mine) both with bags, that haven't been dropped yet.

I'll bring the KLR or transalp . FR314 goes to abandoned mine camp, it almost goes back to hiway 20, to the north is Paysayten wilderness, you would be shot riding there, many forest fires, 2 yrs ago 4 fire fighters died up there poor buggers.

yrs ago I rode dirt alot in the rosyln, tanuem area when it was open-nazi bastards closed it . that can connect to the south through tanuem, manashtash ridge ( sort of ) I havent rode south of this area but I can find those that have.

other buddies have ridin' Wenatchee back roads a lot.
    Tom myers may be a good source for info
    www.cycoactive.com , touratech shop,
    I just got a ohlins for the transalp from them and hit them up for a used GPS, i need to buy one. I will contact them regrading this.
  13. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    the image with my quota in the rocks is where I weenied out and turned back on FS314, any other bike in the shed would of been fine but the weight ( 525+gas+bags+me= 850lbs?? ) caused tires to sink into the rocks and it was a big drop.

Attached Files:

14. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    image 1
    here is intersection slate peak, coming from fr 700, looking west, note sign to slate peak
  15. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    slate peak looking east, note fire smoke in air. this is a parking area to get to the peak is another couple hundred feet up, anyone can drive this part, it is a graded road, smooth. some of it is hairball if you do not like height, the road over hangs a cliff, maybe 1000-1500 ft drop, part is one lane with blind corners. some moron in a car almost hit me head on, this part of the road is easy hance car traffic.

one thing about big MC with street tires is they do not stop worth a crap on gravel

i should be riding today but back to working on taxes
  16. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Thanks man...that FS-314 doesn't look so appealing. :nono Need I say more. Luckily, it will be avoided. I can just see making it all the way to the last two miles and then busting my ass on that stuff! Good move to turn around.

R-dubb
  17. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    anyone else with ideas for the north to central washington area let me know, we can meet up, exchange info etc....
    15 yrs ago this would of been incredible, so much is closed (DNR, timber, county etc..) but i think its possible. I will try to make note of gas, booze stops, chow stops, skinny dippin', (hot springs would be cool also, none on this section thou) etc, I will try to make it so any GS can make it through.

I'll look into any optional route to the north through paysayten wilderness, I really doubt it but I will check in with some local methow valley friends ( I am near puget sound, the other end of hiway 20, 'bout 150 mi west) it would be cool to carry it into BC, and do a simliar gig through BC, yeah sea of cortez to artic ocean, 99% dirt....wait a minute, my butt already aches
  18. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Chile,

I know you don't use a Garmin, but in case your buddy does, here is my latest pass at the Northern Route. I posted a new Mapsource 5.2 file on my Yahoo site. (no user name required to download) I also included a copy of the 5.2 update for Mapsource.

The route is in sync with roads that are shown and appear to be open on the Forest Service maps. I'll put the Wanatchee Forest map in the mail to you tomorrow.

Garmin: PCQ 8 - Northern Cascades Route

R-dubb
  19. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    so R-dubb provided the trail comes together you need to name it. it would make it harder to shut down.
    slammed at the moment, but will find a route up north here.

need to get some BC riders to continue this trail on.
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    R-dubb,

Do you have GPX files for the routes you (others) have already riden?