The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Scouting ride report here
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have nothing back yet. It will be a number of months before we can collect most of the scouting reports. Believe it or not most of the scouting so far has been using forest maps, not GPS. Those Northwest riders are not as techie as we who hang around Silly Valley.

What's a GPX file anyway? I'm putting Mapsource files online. Should I be converting to a different format?

I'll be posting a status report in a week or so that will explain the condition of each regional section and include posting some updated mapsource files.

:dj
    R-dubb
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    R-dubb,

A GPX file is the XML representation of your GPS Track/Waypoints. With a GPX file different Mapping Software programs & other GPS' can import this data. I don't use Mapsource (Garmin) so I am no expert, but I believe that with the EasyGPS software, free, you should be able to export from your Garmin to the GPX file format. I don't know if Mapsource can export files to GPX yet (might ask Mapsource). If you want to give it a go I will test on my end the GPX file.

By the way I am in no way associated with Topografix...etc.
  4. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I received a map from Mully with the proposed route marked. Looking at the route north of Rt 14 over the hill to Bouquet Reservoir, I think it's going to be tough. I'll be out scouting on the 17th and 18th, but the last time I was in the area we found this:
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    And this.

Hopefully I can find a side route around. These pictures are not even at the most difficult section. (No, neither truck is mine)
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Wait! The second picture is my truck! The guys hanging on to the front are balancing me so I don't roll the f**king thing!

Here's the one I meant to attach:
  7. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Yep, cars can be really fun too! However it's sometimes difficult to extrapolate on the relative difficulty of a trail for both vehicles: sometime it's impossible for a car and OK for a bike or vice-versa. For example in the last picture there is enough space on the left side for a safe track for a bike. As soon as the traction is poor then the bikes (at least ours!) are in big trouble.
  8. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    You are right JL! What the pics don't show very well is that in all three of them the hill is very steep and very loose. In many places you could not stand up!!! I've spoken to a couple of my wheelin' friends and they think that there are enough by-passes around the more difficult things for us to get through.

Like I said... I'll be out there with the GS and a camera in about a week!
  9. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Cool! Looking forward to seeing the pictures :thumb!
  10. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    This picture gives a better idea. It is a little over 1/4 mile stright down to the road that you can see...
  11. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Good luck TT!

It's beginning to look like there are trouble spots throughout this little venture. Shouldn't be a big surprise I guess, cause the PCT traverses the highest peaks up and down the three states. :evil

I'm working on the last draft piece tonight up in Red Menace territory. At that point the entire route will have been matched between Garmin and USFS maps. The big challenge is what you guys are doing: finding out where the "hot spots" lie and what we might do about them.

Can't wait to see some pics next week. Ride safe and be careful.

R-dubb
  12. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    TravelToad - did you take your GS up that trail? How was it. If you ever need a 2nd rider for one of these scouting trips, let me know. I'm selling my LC4 & getting my new 640 adventure in a week or two - already have the Garmin III+ setup on my old bike.

I'm in Orange County - where's that raoad in the photos with your truck?
  13. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    Rdubb,
    Bad news on the Hwy88 to hwy 50 4wd trail I bought up earlier. Tried to ride up from strawberry south yesterday and the USFS has just cut huge trenches across the trail effectively shutting it down (leftover clinton wreckage !!). This WAS a designated motor vehicle trail!! I'll try to post pics later, but this route is definitely out. Looks like the next best choice through this section is the Silverfork Rd FR7 to FR71 which meets hwy 50 at strawberry (42 mile tract).
  14. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Too bad. I assume the route that is shut down is the one leading up from Caples Lake (highlighted yellow). The route you indicate through silver Fork is a nice road. There are some dirt alternates in that area as well. Going that way precludes a long highway leg up SR88 from Iron Mtn. to Kirkwood, so it's not all bad. Also the caples lake road would have gotten pretty rough in parts I suspect.

Thanks for the info.

R-dubb

Attached Files:

15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Inte, that's A51. It runs from the Bouquet Reservoir up to the Rowher Flat OHV Area. I have not tried it on my bike. Last time I went up it... well the pics above tell some of the story. I almost rolled my truck, the guy in the white Range Rover almost flipped over backwards, another guy ended up with all four wheels off the ground... and on and on. The climb up Texas Canyon is much smoother, but is a very long, steep, loose climb. It's not unheard of to need winch cables to get up it. Anyway... it's on the route so I'll be up there checking it out.

PM me your info and we'll ride!
  16. DesertRat

DesertRat Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As much as it would make me suffer to actually go riding in the trees, I could be persuaded to check out some routes around Lassen. If the weather holds, I am looking for somewhere to go next weekend.
  17. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    rdubb said "I assume the route that is shut down is the one leading up from Caples Lake (highlighted yellow)."

correct. and it was rougher than i had recalled earlier -- even before the usfs mayhem.
  18. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    That would be great. I'll post the section from I-80 up towards Lake Almanor. If I remember correctly, you don't use a GPS?? Do you have a Tahoe NF map? You may have already done the part that goes past Sierra Buttes.

R-dubb
  19. DesertRat

DesertRat Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have stepped into the 19th century and bought a gps. Also mapsource topo and the national geographic topo. I still get lost a lot though.:rofl
  20. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Mike, Here is a link to download the GPS file: PCQ 4 - Lassen. You need to make sure your Mapsource program is updated to at least 5.2. The update file is also on the same download page if you need it. Open the Lassen file with mapsource. It works wiith Roads and Rec, Metroguide or Garmin Topo. Let me know if you have any trouble loading the route. Send a PM if you want to talk about it. I'm around this week.

R-dubb