The Pacific Crest Quest

Discussion in 'Americas' started by R-dubb, Aug 18, 2003.

1. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Toad and Inte,
    Riding time the rest of this month is going to have to be when I can squeze it in, holidays and all. Let me know what you have in mind and I see if I can make it. Main problem for that area for me is the 2+ hours each way before getting near any of the PQC stuff. Post a note here or PM me.

David
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here it is, the first of new and improved Garmin Route Files for the PCQ. Some changed substantially. I reviewed all the SoCal legs on Topo. Looked at slopes percentages, trail quality, hot spots. I've posted PDF files with all significant dirt trails mapped, numbered, and shown clearly on high-res topo maps.

I also updated the Garmin route file for SoCal with Gas Stops and numbered Trail Head Waypoints for each of the Topo inset maps.

PDF's will download and open in you browser. They print nicely, in color, on legal size!

Download Files Here

:dj
    R-dubb
  3. richard cabesa

Oddometer:
    R-dubb, I can't open the files. I tried at work and at home. What's up?
    David
  4. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    It works for me; well sort of. I went in as a guest from a different computer to test it. Problem is the Yahoo site is super slow, and these files are rather large. Try clicking the file name once and waiting 5-10 minutes. :(: It's usually much faster. They must be having a problem.

It's like waiting for music to download. The PDF's open in my browser after a long while. Be sure not to click a second time. There should be a small hard drive icon in the lower left while its loading. You don't get a load bar, so there is no way to tell how much progress has been made. Not very informative.

Since the MPS files need to be saved rather than opened directly, they do come up with a download box.

Sorry your having trouble. I'll switch services if it does not improve.

The maps are worth the wait!

R-dubb
  5. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    One more thing. Once the PDF files open in a browser window, be sure to save a copy so you don't wind up downloading again!:1drink

R-dubb
  6. richard cabesa

Oddometer:
    R-dubb, great work man. I can see how much time you got into this.
    Still having trouble opening some of yours. 1B and 1C loaded slow but opened, printed and saved fine. 1A very quickley says done and nothing happens. The MPS files load and save fine but won't open. A prompt says "no program assoc.......blablabla. Icon shows slightly different than the others. Any ideas, I'm a computer dummy.
    Thanks, David
  7. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    I told you several times :): Get a good browser!!! Like the free Opera for example...
    But your right Yahoo is really slow: the average speed was less than 7 Kb/s :arg
  8. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I just tested 1A again. Took forever and a day but it did open. So, all I can say is try again. Yahoo reallly doesn't do well with files over 5megs.

On the .mps file, you need to Save it to a directory you know on download (don't click the Open button on the dialog box). Then open the Mapsource program and click file:eek:pen to the directory where it is saved. (If you associate Mapsource with .mps icons then you can open directly instead. But that's a different lesson.) Then if Mapsource refuses to open the route it means you have an old program and need a free upgrade from the Garmin site. File sharing can be a PITA sometimes!

Take care,

R-dubb
  9. richard cabesa

Oddometer:
    I see the problem now. I don't have Mapsource. :doh

Just spoted the PM, I'll take it there. Thanks
  10. mmoorhouse

mmoorhouse Iron Rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. When is this going to take place? I can help scout some of the So Cal area, if it isn't already done.
  11. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr. Moorhouse,

I don't know what your skill levels are, but there are a few areas in Angeles N.F. where I'm worried about impassible conditions.

Here is a "hotspot" near Arrowhead Lake. This stretch of trail from Crab Flats on up toward Squint Ranch looks real tough. There is a creek crossing at "Deep Creek" that could be too steep and/or deep to get over. Traveltoad mentioned, awhile back, that he though we could make it through here. I'm not sure. Problem is there aren't any enticing alternatives that jump off the map.

If you, or anyone else has time to check this one out, it could answer a big question. BTW, I don't advise going in there by yourself in any case. If you prefer to take a crack at some easier problems, just let me know. I've got a few.

Thanks for your interest. I have a small group lined up to take a run at doing the whole route in early July. We'll see how far we can get.

Rdubb

[​IMG]
  12. mmoorhouse

mmoorhouse Iron Rider

Oddometer:
    I will be up there during the holidays skiing. I don't think I will be able to hit the roads then because of the snow, but I will talk to the rangers. If all goes well i will hit the area on my bike or jeep.
  13. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Gee, I guess I could look outside to get an idea what the weather must be like. It's getting colder and wetter here too!

R-dubb
  14. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I can answer this question, as I've already pre-run that section. See the map below:

[​IMG]

There is one section on 3N34 west of the Crab Flats area that's gnarly: the inset photo was taken looking up from almost the bottom of the rock garden. The whole section is perhaps two miles long (though it seemed longer!), and once you start down the hill there's no going back. While its by no means difficult for dirt bikes, PCQ Challenge riders lacking total commitment, on heavily-laden bikes, or on "street" tires like Tourances may wish to avoid this section and stay on 3N16 (the blue "Alternate" section below the inset) down to 118 at Running Springs, then back up through Arrowhead on 173 and to Cajon Summit. From Dishpan Springs to the OHV staging area at 173 is not bad at all - merely long and bumpy and a few sandy sections.

I think this section is going to be on the second day for those folks starting from Potrero, and the rock garden is perhaps mid-way in a 150-mile section of nearly all forest roads: riders will be tired by this point, and mistakes could be made. Once I've got the whole southern section plotted, I'll include a bail-out route and proper warning.

HTH
    mully
  15. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    I had no idea that photo was taken there. It's interesting that while going through the mapping process, this leg jumped out as being the most difficult area that I've chosen not to avoid altogether. It seems like we might be starting to get in sync.

On a related subject, I got a note this morning from Jerry Counts asking why my latest Mapsource run bypasses Grapevine Canyon in Anza-Borrego State Park (Leg A2). I think he's right. That road should be included. I think I cut it by mistake because the trailhead is a little off track, but the alternative is a rather boring paved stretch. What do you think?

[​IMG]

R-dubb
  16. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's the same creek crossing, there's a 'fun' creek crossing that was paved over a couple years back - through deep creek right in the same area of the map above.

if you're curious "GumbyDave" in the 'dualsport' forum at KTM Talk knows this area - I happened to meet him when I was on a ride up there & he told me about some of the technical/non-technical options
  17. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Grapevine Canyon *IS* included on the paper maps you sent down, and I'm presuming to include it. I hope to have that area pre-run by New Year's.

mully
  18. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    I will get a GPS for the north to central washington cascade routes , I better get it a couple months before setting out so I can figure it out. I can check in with some clubs/organizations/cycoactive for their input.

we need to get some canadians to pick the route up at the border , these mountains dont stop at the border.
  19. OBJMS33

OBJMS33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont have a lot of experience but I am going out to the so. cal areas at least once a week right now and could maybe scout possible legs for you.
  20. R-dubb

Oddometer:

Thanks for the offer. I can't tell which areas you come close to from the message. We'll see if Mully managed to get out and what still remains in the southland.

Here is a section that I added to the SoCal PDF files just recently. You can find detailed trail maps of the C2.31 & C.2.32 sections in the Topo 3 - Angeles.pdf download file at http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/rdubbious.

I don't know the area. It looks like the higher elevation trails will be most interesting, but maybe a bit rough.

R-dubb

Attached Files: