The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. 240ADV

240ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely watching this report.. Safe travels guys!!
  2. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that describes us well haha. I'm also curious to see how the bags hold up. I think if we oil and care for them well they'll last, but time will tell. We sure love them now though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  3. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    The stock seat is fine for now
    We both are wearing bicycle spandex which has padding built in so I think that helps. And we're not too sore from running so that's nice.

10ecjed, tymetrvlr, jaakmh and 2 others like this.
  4. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    I'll be cyber stalking hard on this one.
    :hide

Enjoy!
  5. POD1963

POD1963 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm coming along on this too and am just a wee bit jealous! Enjoy!!
  6. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    It's been a busy last few days.
    Going back to Tuesday, we hit the road and made it a grand total of 30 miles before Jeremy had bike issues. His bike was surging and then cut off at the exit ramp. It seemed to be a fuel issue so we pushed it to a gas station to get out of the rain Jeremy ripped apart the carb:

[​IMG]
    20170509_084331
    by Allen Stoltzfus, on Flickr

Ran great for 6 miles until it died again... so gas station #2:

[​IMG]
    20170509_110210

The problem was that the idle jet wasn't fully seated. With that squared away we cruised.

Camped out in North Dakota:

[​IMG]
    20170510_060533

Wednesday:
    We started out the day with beautiful weather and no bike issues. Until a couple hundred miles down the road I could feel my chain ragging. It was loose so we adjusted both our chains and also noticed that our tires were wearing quicker than we had hoped. So we found a motorcycle shop 400 miles ahead in Canada and made an appointment for 9 am the following day.

We took the wheels off ourselves to save a little $

[​IMG]
    20170511_090116

We made ourselves at home while we waited. They were super chill and let us set up camp in their parking lot while we waited for the tires.

[​IMG]
    20170511_090543

With the tires on we still hit 600 miles for the day. Not bad. And we found a beautiful campsite back a dirt rode.

[​IMG]
    20170510_211205

Thursday
    was issue free. We rode all day, logged 550 miles and ended the day be camping at a rest stop in the rain. Today we woke up nice and early and headed for Dawson Creek where we were planning on meeting up with James who had rode from Oregon. Surprisingly we all arrived at our pre-determined spot, a local cafe, within 30 minutes of each other. It was dumping rain, so we tanked up on coffee and drove to a gas station for shelter from the rain (seems to be a reoccurring theme...) to check out Jame's carb. The pilot jet was clogged so Jeremy cleaned it out and put it all back together in no time.

[​IMG]
    20170512_140933

With Jame's bike running great we started the Alcan Highway in the pouring rain. We drove 100 miles and were completely frozen. The temperature was in the low 30's and there was snow on the side of the roads. And it was still raining hard. We stopped for gas and were immediately warned that there was a blizzard ahead and that there was over a foot of snow on the roads! So we decided we had no other option but to stay put. So we got a cabin for the next two nights. It wasn't cheap and we feel a bit like wimps, but it sure is nice :)
    It's going to snow
    tomorrow as well but we are hoping the roads are clear by Sunday and we can hit the road again.

[​IMG]
    IMG_6800

[​IMG]
    20170514_085611
    wilfred, jowul, US7IGN and 22 others like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an adventure so far... Not looking forward to the weather but Alaska is calling....
  8. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are the leather bags working out for you?

AK is calling me as well. Going to 'dip my toes' this July and ride to Hyder. Then in the near future ride to Anchorage and surrounding areas.
  9. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    So far the bags are great! The are very water resistant but not 100% waterproof. But nothing really is I guess. I like the simplicity of the bags and the stiff leather holds form well. I think it will be very important to clean and oil the leather, but with that they should hold out. Time will tell...

10ecjed likes this.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    What a great start, just getting your license already doing roadside repairs and hitting a storm. Yep, it's an adventure.

I'm thrilled to find this report since about a week ago I was whining about the lack of young people getting into motorcycling and how expensive people make riding with thinking and encouraging each other to go top end right out of the shoot. Please indulge me as I take a trip down memory lane.......

In the early '70s I started riding and touring on motorcycle. At that time we all rode whatever we could get our hands on and packed our gear in garbage bags to keep it dry (I still line whatever bags I'm using with big garbage bags). Every bike was an "adventure bike". Camping gear was whatever we could find cheap. We camped because we couldn't afford to motel so we didn't have a lot of money into our camping gear, we made do with whatever we could find.

You three remind me of those days gone by. You're doing it under your own terms and creating your own adventure without buying into the cookie cutter type of adventures that are the mainstay anymore.

Don't feel like a wimp when you are smart enough to come out of the weather. Getting cold like that reduces your skills and becomes dangerous.

My helmet is off to you and I will be checking this thread daily for updates. :lurk
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might want to fit some waterproof covers for those bags
    Ruidoso Ron likes this.
  13. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Following this RR. Have fun guys!
    If you're looking for something to treat the leather try this stuff. https://www.obenaufs.com/category-s/111.htm
    I use it on all my leather and it works great. Been using it on my boots and gloves for a really long time and it keeps the leather from drying out and the water will just bead up.
    Made in Idaho by a wildland firefighter. I can get several seasons out of my wildland fire boots using it.
    Ride on!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  14. Curtisrides

Curtisrides Goat Whisperer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy from Texas. Get some Leather Honey to keep that luggage tip top.

One suggestion, be sure to properly export your bike as you leave a country and then import it into the next one. And YES you need the original title with you.

Done this trip a few times, as has been stated earlier, oh to be riding with your youth. Good or bad, finish or not, this will be the best time of your life

Curtis
  15. Steve907AK

Steve907AK Obsessed

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this ride report....if you guys get to Wasilla, and need a place to work on your bikes, or just get dry and sorted shoot me a message...
  16. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    So I'm broken down in Tok Junction Alaska, 300 miles from Wasilla. I haven't been able to solve the problem so I thought I would throw it up on here to see if anyone had any ideas.
    The bike shut off while I was riding. It sputtered a bit then shut off. I first thought it was a fuel issue, but I found I wasn't getting any spark.
    So far I have checked the ignition coil, the cdi unit and the voltage regulator by swapping them with Jeremy's bike. I checked for power to the cdi unit. Also I checked the resistance of the pickup coil and it was around 200 ohms which is within spec.
    I can swap any parts from the other bikes but I am out of ideas for what to check. So any suggestions would be great. Thankfully I have a ride into Wasilla so I can get it sorted out there.
    10ecjed and dwj - Donnie like this.
  17. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Hello, I'm just throwing this out there- maybe food for the fodder: you may have already checked this, but is it possible that the carb might have water gathering at it's lowest point. If my KLR sits for a while I have to drain the bowl. Another thought, you may want to pull the petcock and check the filter screen. If it is gummed up or if there is a history of gas products used for gas treatment. It may be impeding a smooth flow- I've experienced this before and one time there was a very faint almost invisible coat of film on the filter screen. I ended up replacing the petcock screen and all is well. Good luck brother, I want to praise your spirit of adventure. I hope all works out. Also, welcome to Alaska! It's my home and I love it.
    TooTallRacing and Haacker like this.
  18. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    No spark ? Have you tried wiring past the ignition switch ? Tried a different spark plug and checked all the grounds ? GL fellas and I hope you get this sorted shortly.
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  19. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Double check your safety switches if you have any: sidestand & clutch.
    nk14zp, Gordon and Ruidoso Ron like this.
  20. Ruidoso Ron

Ruidoso Ron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you should take this opportunity to bypass all of the safety switches.
    yokesman likes this.