The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. benjbeiler

benjbeiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are awesome. I'm so jealous. Good luck with the bike...I'm sure you will get it fixed shortly if you haven't yet
    I think I may have to plan a trip for me and my boys in about 20 years
    Have fun today!
    stoltzfii likes this.
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Guys!
    Try popping the spark plug cap off of the HT wire and use wire to check for spark, maybe trim back a 1/4" of the wire while your there.
    Best.
  3. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    EPIC! IN!
  4. DooSki

DooSki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I third, you check the safety switches. My kickstand switch presented the same way.
  5. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Great meeting Jeremy and James today at the REI store where I work.

WAY cool you guys brought all your climbing gear to do Denali! And glad to hear you're planning on exploring more of AK when you're done with the climb.

A bunch of us local ADV'ers will be at the Dust2Dawson gathering June 15-16 so hope to see you after that upon your return.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
    stoltzfii and Nanuq like this.
  6. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you can see from my last post, life can be a bit hectic... Tuesday we started the day 600 miles from Wasilla and the end of stage one of our trip. I was pleasantly surprised that we hadn't had any issues that took more than a few hours to fix. What great luck! Well 200 miles down the road my bike sputtered to a stop. I looked down at the odometer and it read 80 miles, which was way too soon for it to flip to reserve. 10 minutes later the side of the road was covered with parts and gear scattered about. A pickup pulled in behind us, and we recognized them as someone we had met at a gas station a few miles back. Jared and Lisa are avid motorcycle adventure riders. They have been all over the world and have helped people everywhere. Today I was next on their list. They were headed to Tok, 30 miles away and they offered to load the bike up and take it there so we could work on it. At Tok, we unloaded the bike and Jared informed us that he had bought us a hotel room. What a guy! They were truly a blessing and incredibly generous. We dug into the bike and swapped numerous parts but still no spark. But once again, Jared and Lisa were to the rescue. They offered to take myself and my broken down ride the rest of the way to Wasilla in the morning. So here I am in their pickup with my bike and gear on the back of their truck, 100 miles out of Wasilla. Jeremy and James are a few hours ahead of me as they left early to head into Anchorage for food and a few last pieces of gear for our Denali climb in a few days. Things don't usually go as planned, but this time it all worked out fine thanks to strangers that became friends. Looks like my bike will be waiting for me as broken down as ever when I return from Denali in a few weeks :)

Thanks everyone for the tips on getting my bike running. I don't think it's any of the safety switches since they were disabled before, and the bike cranks. But I'll go everything again when I get off the mountain.

Here's the bike ripped apart at the hotel.
    20170516_203626.jpg

Some of the food we are packing for Denali. Instant Oatmeal for dayz! 20170517_215632.jpg
  7. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    People can be awesome!
    ChadADV, Halen, RozzyCat and 2 others like this.
  8. stoltzfii

Oddometer:

Up to now I've been putting my own pictures up, but as you can see I'm no photographer. That's where James comes in. From now on I'll mainly be posting his pictures.
    Enjoy

barkman-08839.jpg barkman-08548.jpg barkman-08644.jpg
  9. fdawg528

fdawg528 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome
  10. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Great team photographer you have there!
    Redfish Hunter and benjbeiler like this.
  11. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We have someone to stay with in Wasilla but after Denali I'll have some work to do on the bikes. So I'll hit you up if I need a place to wrench :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    10ecjed likes this.
  12. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Love that first image from James!
  13. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to post this since I found out this is one of the riders I saw while heading home from work one day a few weeks ago here in Portland, Or. He must have just been leaving for the trip that afternoon during rush hour.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Polebridge, td63, wilfred and 15 others like this.
  14. flaldrider

flaldrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I will be heading your way from Florida in a couple of weeks. Maybe we will meet on the road.

Ride Safe and Have Fun

Subscribed
  15. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Actually there are 100% waterproof products but unfortunately leather is not one of those products. Animal hide is designed to breath as mother nature intended.

Enjoy your trip to the end.
    Looks like fun so far.
  16. PostIt

PostIt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks to be a great trip!! I am sitting at my desk in Honey Brook, PA (where a rider is from) reading this!!! Have a blast!
  17. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip, good luck and safe travels!

Couple of things: All that hair is going to get hot south of the border!

Is this your new ride? :) Pic05252017.jpg
    jowul, LittlePosum and ChadADV like this.
  18. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    what a great story of jared and lisa helping out! you meet the nicest people when you break down :lol3
    also great pic with the grizzly in the background.
  19. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey! I'm in. Lot's of parallels here. I'm from central PA, and I've ridden from here to Prudhoe Bay and back. As a separate trip I rode my DR650 around the world in 2014. I've also ridden to Ushuaia from Vina del Mar, Chile. OOh Patagonia, wonderful country down there. You're gonna love it.
    DR650 is a great bike, easy to fix. Said you were cold. The DR has enough amperage for a heated jacket or vest if you're careful, like turning it off a minute or two before turning off the motor, give the battery a boost before shut down. I put in a switch to turn off the headlight and tail light for daytime running too. I had sputtering and engine dying problems too. Turned out to be improper vent to gas tank. Not of help here, since you said no spark. Best of luck! Love those saddle bags! :-)
  20. Motoglobalrider

Motoglobalrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be starting my Alaska to Argentina ride from Anchorage on the 12th June. My facebook page is the big moto adventure. See you on the road. Safe ride, Cheers!
    Max Wedge likes this.