The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    The photo showing the two bikes head on is Magazine worthy. Send it it with a short caption to AMA-seriously. Also, when folks ask about "whats it like in Alaska" while planning thier northbound trip, all they need to do is read what happened when a fellow Adv rider saw you on the side of the road-Thats what its like in Alaska!
    JeepDawg, twodoggy and TreasureState like this.
  2. Jarinland

Jarinland Alaska Man

Oddometer:
    IMG_0061.JPG Hey guys hope you are doing well this is Jarin and Lisa from Juneau. It was great to meet you guys even though you were broke down. Let me know when you are back up running... I might head up to the Arctic circle soon. I'm glad we were able to help out during your breakdown but we were just paying it forward like others have done for us. Contact me went the climb is over ... planning my ride south.... good luck and god bless.
    P.s. Roxy says hi.....roof.
    Jbarth13, td63, wilfred and 18 others like this.
  3. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha I love it! Yes, James left from near Portland to meet us in Canada. Pretty epic that you caught some pictures of him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Baroquenride likes this.
  4. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Long timer

Oddometer:
    rbsride365, Halen, DeeGee and 4 others like this.
  5. Jarinland

Jarinland Alaska Man

Oddometer:
    Good Job Guys I am so glad you accomplished your goal. The next adventure awaits.... God Bless!
  6. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. It's been quite a while since I updated, but then again, cell phone service is rather sparse at 14,000 feet halfway up Denali. Actually I canceled my phone service completely last month to save a few dollars so service is sparse everywhere... :D

Anyway, Denali was incredible. We lugged 110 lbs of gear, stayed in our tent for a full week due to a storm, and enjoyed -30 to -40°F sans windchill. But we returned safe and with all our digits, and we successfully summited! It was truly an incredible experience.

But this is not a climbing forum, I will mainly stick to the motorcycle-related aspects of the trip. We have a website in process, and if anyone has interest in following our attempts at climbing things I will put a link to our website where there will hopefully be write-ups on different climbs we do.

We got back to Talkeetna on Saturday morning after spending 16 days on the mountain. We have been extremely hard working since then, with quite a list of exploits such as eating more than a large pizza per person, consuming huge burgers a few hours later, and cooking pancakes whenever we are not sleeping... :) But seriously, we are very excited to head back to Wasilla and work on the bikes. Mine is still as useful as a rock, but hopefully I can change that. The next week is dedicated to the bikes, and after that Jeremy and I are looking to pick up construction work for a 4-6 weeks while James completes a photography job on the west coast. We found a possible job in western Anchorage. Any suggestions on a good place to throw up a tent close to there? After that (beginning to middle of July) we will set out on our bikes for Northern Alaska and on to Deadhorse! We hope to be out of Alaska by the end of August and after that it is pretty open-ended.

I plan on posting a few of James' pictures of Denali but until then here are a few I got on my phone. Enjoy.

20170530_204822.jpg

20170530_213108.jpg

20170601_221548.jpg
    Shin1ichi2002, td63, 97707 and 52 others like this.
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a free campground right in Anchorage at the site of the Harley Davidson dealership and across the parking lot is Motoquest. It's free motorcycle camping and includes showers! 4334 Spenard Road.
  8. Smilingwolverine

Smilingwolverine I occasionally do things

Oddometer:
    Love this thread! Hoping to do a similar trip in the near future. Sub'd!
  9. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    I posted this a couple places online for help, so we'll see what happens. I might just take it to a shop soon...

I ripped into the bike a bit today. I went through the manual diagnostic again for no spark.
    1 - The cdi unit has the correct voltage going to it and works because I switched it out with the donor bike.
    2 - The pickup coil resistance reads 0.8 ohms which is not within the specified range of 0.1 to 0.2 ohms, but it reads the same as the other dr650 I am checking off of which works.
    3 - The power source coil resistance reads 205 ohms which is within spec.
    4 - my neutral switch and clutch switch were already bypassed when the bike was running and the kill switch going out would not allow the bike to crank so I don't think any of those are the problem.
    5 - I used the ignition coil from the donor bike and still no spark.

Next I went to switch the ignition module. But I didn't have the anti-theft torx so plugged in the donor ignition module to my bike while leaving the module bolted onto the donor bike. I turned the key and the lights came on but it did not crank at all. I also ran the opposite way but my ignition module only turned on the lights but did not crank on the donor module. It seems I am doing something wrong, maybe missing a ground? I will try to find the right torx and actually switch the ignition module tomorrow. After that I am not sure what else to do. Once again, any help is appreciated! :)

10. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's perfect! If we end up working in Anchorage we'll probably stay there.

11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad pick up coils are a known problem on the DR.
  12. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Thanks again! The bike is still broken down. But it's at a shop so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

13. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Well the bike is now at the Suzuki dealership in Wasilla. It might be a bit more expensive than my hourly rate but at least it is in more capable hands! We towed the bike to the shop in the middle of the night which was an adventure in and of itself, but it did make it there in one peice. The shop is backed up but they hope to look at it in one to two weeks. In the meantime we are thinking of riding up to Denali national park and hitting the backcountry for a while. James is still in Alaska but once his photography job is ready to start on the West Coast he'll fly down and Jeremy and I will try to work for four to six weeks.

KemoSabe1943, 10ecjed and Jarinland like this.
  14. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Also does anyone in Wasilla or nearby have a welder or know of a friend with one? I need to do a few minor repairs on the racks and the local shops are booked out and very expensive...

10ecjed likes this.
  15. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re. welding. If you can wait till Anchorage, look up Barbara at Alaska Leather (a moto shop) or Phil Freeman or anybody else at Moto Quest, 4334 Spenard Rd. Ask for help. BTW congrats on the big climb!!!
  16. AKpilot

AKpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this is several days old now but I have a little welder at my house in Wasilla you could use. I will be working on a trailer for the next couple of days so it will be out anyways.
  17. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help with finding a welder. The place I'm working at has a welder that I can use so I'm good now. But I appreciate the help! Here is something I wrote a few days ago but just got around to posting:

It's been a while since an update. But a lot is changing. I left for Kasilof for a salmon fishing job, Jeremy is working with sled dogs on a remote glacier, and James is flying to Portland for a month-long photography job. So you could say the fellowship is breaking. The plan is for us all to wrap up our respective jobs and be back in Anchorage in the beginning of August. So while our trip is taking a little break, it will go back into full gear in August since we will be pushing the weather to drive up to Deadhorse and down into the lower 48 before it gets too cold here in the north. Also, I am flying back to Pennsylvania the beginning of October for my sister's wedding so the plan is to be down in Seattle by then so I can fly out.

Also my bike is not fixed yet, actually it hasn't even been looked at yet. The shop is pretty backed up but they are scheduled to look at it next week. The plan is for the to get it running and I'll wait to pick it up until I'm back in the area in August.
    I'll try to post some pictures of where I'm staying when I have time. It's very beautiful.
    10ecjed and SmilinJoe like this.
  18. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very possible that your problem is a failed "pulse coil". It is somewhat common issue with DR650's and when they fail there is no spark. Procycle sells them for $39.

I should mention, that my buddies bike had a pulse coil issue. Bike ran just fine, day after day on our trip. Woke up the next morning and the bike wouldn't fire. Installed a new pulse coil….and she fired right up.

For $39 bucks…I'd recommend ordering the part. Take it to the shop while you're waiting for them to start working on it. Hopefully they'll let you install the new pulse coil while in their shop. If it works, great…..problem solved. If it doesn't, it's definitely a spare part that I'd want to have in my kit for your travels.
  19. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Jarinland

Jarinland Alaska Man

Oddometer:
    Allen,
    Any time table set for your run south? Into Mexico etc..