The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jordividalpujol

jordividalpujol n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool to see you on the road again.
    And the thriller came back. I jumped lines of your post just to check whether it started up again or not. Too good it always did! :dllama:
    Amazing wind. The further south the crazier it gets. I drove many miles there with my Citroën 2CV, 80kmh with a nice tail wind... So nice and sync'd tail wind, that when I took my cigarrette out of the window, the smoke would gently and vertically come up as if I was in my living room. Shocking.
    :bmwrider yes, like this.
    See shape of trees (Lenga) down there and exhaust ciclists to realize...
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  2. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's awesome, have a good trip!
    pceire32 likes this.
  3. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW...

A clogged gas cap vent may present the symptoms you experienced.

If it happens again, listen closely to the gas cap as you remove it.

There should not be a hiss or woosh sound.
  5. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Good thing to watch.

@stoltzfii, I had similar issue as yours: turned out to be dirt in the tank and partially clogged fuel line. Sounds like your filter did its job to keep stuff out of the carb. You might pick up another online filter or two as insurance.

Riding alone can be trying for me. (Until I ride with the wrong person. Right?). You’re in the home stretch.

Safe travels.
    TreasureState likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Man this RR is a rollercoaster!! You've definitely got an adventurous spirit man! Goonies never say die!!
    TreasureState and Diddly like this.
  7. pblarellano

pblarellano n00b

Oddometer:
    nice to see you on the road...
    this thread, doesn't let me work in the office.:y0!
  8. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mods should sticky this thread for everyone to see!

What an awesome combination of writing, pics and positive attitude.
  9. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I hope your new issue is solved! It does sound like a tank vent problem, which I have had on many Moto's. Be sure to check all the vent tubes from your carb; it doen't take much to plug up one, so I slit them about 1/2 to 3/4 inch on the bottoms. I assume you have cleaned the tank with all your fueling issues. Even so, try switching to reserve, if it happens again. You may have tried that, just never know what is happening in the tank.

Thanks for keeping life a little more enjoyable!
    TreasureState and kiwial like this.
  10. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been quietly following along since the beginning of this adventure. This has been an epic adventure that we all dream about. Thanks for spreading your hardworking, positive Lancaster County attitude across the entire Western Hemisphere! Finish strong and get home safe.
    TreasureState and Critic like this.
  11. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    With all the gas you have been running thru the bike, I would be checking the bottom of the tank for ....junk...you don't want to run into you non-filtered carb.

I know you just want to ride now...so another hip shot quicky....lay the bike over on it's side...pull the petcock from the tank..inspect / clean the petcock screen...then set the bike up right with out the petcock to do a quick flush of the junk you don't want in you carb..

Do this of course on a cold engine and key off.....

Your doing great...WOOT !

You got one hell of a story going to tell the GrandKids...
    Grynch, TreasureState and kiwial like this.
  12. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you on the road and still smiling! Yeah, those bicyclists are amazing, traveling in every remote corner of the world. I'll never forget the 2 young Swiss girls in the middle of absolutely nowhere Patagonia, 200 miles from the nearest building of any kind, carrying about 5 gallons of water to survive out there, and they couldn't be happier!
    +1 on the gas cap vent. I had very similar issues in Europe, starving about every 5 miles. Turned out to be new gas cap I put on. Supposed to breathe, but didn't. Every time I'd stop, I'd take the cap off to double check gas level, and guess what!? Give it vent. Finally figured it out.
    Re. wind. Watch for swell in earth or anything alongside the road that will break the wind. When you pass the other side you may get a blast.
    I'll just steal this and leave it here. :lurk :ricky
    xulf13 likes this.
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Allen, I went to the Eagles home opener! And it was awesome, almost the same game as the last time we played the Falcons, with same result! I hope you got to watch. They gave out visors with the Philly Philly play diagram under the visor, was bad ass when they ran the same damn play and it worked!
  14. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Today I made it to Coyhaique where I met up with Jeremy and James. I put in almost 400 miles and had zero issues. Tomorrow we will take the ferry from Puerto Ibanez to Chile Chico then cross back into Argentina and head south.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    scudo, BruceT, Gordon and 25 others like this.
  15. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What happened to the Stoltzfii Custom Sheepskin Seat Cover? I would think that you would be wanting it now in the colder weather.

I would guess that Jeremy and James had to be happy to see you back on the bike and rejoining them. Keep Going.
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss! Sweet.
  17. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mad Props!!!
  18. xulf13

xulf13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When the going gets tough......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Ah, always more issues. Yesterday I rode about 400 miles and the bike ran well but was pretty loud in the top end. My bike has always been a little louder than the other bikes, even when the valves were right in spec, so I didn't think too much of it. But towards the end of the day it got really loud, kinda like loose valves but not the same "tic", almost a knock, kinda reminded me of a diesel motor, not good.

I adjusted the valves last night and they were on the loose end of specs so I adjusted them on the tighter side and this morning it was a little quieter and ran better. We drove 60 miles to a ferry from Puerto Ibanez to Chile Chico and by the time we got there, the noise was very noticeable again. It seemed to get progressively worse as we road. It's a loud top end noise that is close to a valve tap but different.

I'm thinking maybe some gasket sealer plugged a oil cooler line and I'm not getting any oil, or not enough, to the top end. I was conservative with the gasket sealer and when I pulled the cover the second time I didn't see any sealer floating around, but there could still be some in there.

Once we get off of the ferry in Chile Chico, I'll pull the head cover and see if I can find any gasket sealer plugging the oil lines, and after that I'm not sure what to check for. But I'm worried if I just leave it, it will blow before Ushuaia, I still have 1000 miles...
    ChadADV and SmilinJoe like this.
  20. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is worse/better than a Soap Opera.