The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm taking a bus back to Punta Arenas. I am going to fill my one side bag with any parts worth anything from my bike (shock, carb, etc.) Up to 50 lbs and sell them back in the states. The rest of the bike I'm selling to a shop here in Ushuaia for $100

Jeremy is selling his bike in Ushuaia for $700 and taking the bus back to Punta Arenas. James is riding back to Punta Arenas and legally selling his bike for $800.
  2. LittlePosum

LittlePosum Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer:
    You have lived out and recorded this awesome adventure and it’s become my favorite ride report!

Glad all 3 of you and each of your bikes made it to the end. Those pictures are priceless.

Cheers!
    TreasureState and NC-Okie like this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Take something off the bike as a memento like the oil filter cover.
    Yuhmak and TreasureState like this.
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, I have enjoyed every post all along your epic trip. it is through your eyes and deeds thaty some of us can expand out horizons, because I loved your story but hell no do I or would I want to do the same. Respect guys and well done, if you attack life in the same manner you are sure to do well. Lastly, the reast of you, its been great to share.
    TreasureState and Redfish Hunter like this.
  5. amp333

amp333 Life is short enjoy!

Oddometer:
    Epic adventure! Cheers to all of you!!
  6. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nightly, I have pulled up adv just to check this thread. It's been a great trip, thanks for letting us vicariously tag along through it all, the good, the sublime, the bad and the ugly. Awesome and kudos!
    torch likes this.
  7. krusty69

krusty69 n00b

Oddometer:
    nice
  8. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    You guys are legends.

Definitely this should go on to a book. Well diserved.

I did this book from my "travel-organization-prepared" trip to Dakar and back, from Portugal, in a very easy way (after you have all the pictures and text arranged by someone who knows how to work with the respective software)

https://issuu.com/gabrielmartins53/docs/livro_ddc_-_preview

This is just the preview. The final book has 282 pages. Once you have the PDF you just need to send it to this Amazon service at createspace.com, then they analyze it and if it is okei it just goes straight to the Amazon online shop.

You should really consider that. ADV Rider reaches a lot of people, and i'm sure most of the guys here would like to have some kind of book about this amazing adventure on their shelfs.

I would!
  9. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When is poor Allen going to have time for that? He has to get a job he hates, a wife that does not like him, a minivan with kids that ignore him, etc, etc... Oh, forgot the community that he will live in bans motorcycles! With proper attribution to the poster above who had those great thoughts! Sadly, there is more than a kernel of truth to a lot of those thoughts.
    twinie and Redfish Hunter like this.
  10. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Cheers to all! Not only was this an adventurious, inspiring, eventful, exciting, and dramatic ride; but it also gathered a group of riders with the same spirit, who were truly concerned with each daily event and the riders. This was and is a top 10 Ride Report!
    I will say again, thanks to all for an most enjoyable adventure....
  11. jeepman63

jeepman63 daplumber

Oddometer:
    again one of the better ride reports, going to be missed by all who were keeping up with them.
    good luck what ever you guys decide to do.
    TreasureState likes this.
  12. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah "fin del mundo". How was the ride? (wink wink)
  13. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    This morning Jeremy and James are ripping into the bikes. Last night someone came to look at Jer's bike but it wouldn't start. This morning, with the voltmeter, I verified it was the starter. It would feebly crank if you hit it with a hammer :) I told him he could take my starter, and showed him how to put the bike at TDC and pull everything needed to get at the starter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He swapped starters and the bike fired right up, problem solved. A few hours later he sold it for $700.

James swapped both wheels with mine since his front tire is roasted and his rear wheel bearings are really close to going out. Now he should be set to rip back to Punta Arenas. He had some play in his rear wheel about 200 miles ago and when he pulled the wheel the bearings moved relatively smoothly but the inner race was loose, definitely close to failing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I ripped into my bike and took everything I possibly could of value. I left the handlebars, shock, and front brakes on so I could roll it to the shop where I am selling the rest of the bike. I'll take the shock and handlebars there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the real question is will these parts get confiscated when I enter into Chile by bus from Argentina?...

[​IMG]
    Gordon, kj37075, SmilinJoe and 10 others like this.
  14. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered just shipping the parts home?
  15. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I would think the Mosko mounting system would have some value too.
    thechief86 likes this.
  16. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    I'd be inclined to keep the carb' as a personal memento.

But hey, I'm more than a widdle wierd, so there is that.
    dano619, TreasureState and kiwial like this.
  17. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Yes, but shipping from Argentina and even Chile is unreliable and expensive. I get a 3rd check-in for $175, so it's not too bad.

I am using my side bags as check-ins, so I am bringing back the mounting system. Hopefully I'll be using them for moto adventures for a long time!

I might keep the carb. Throw a new slide on and it would be a nice upgrade for a lot of bikes. Depends what my next bike is. The slide repair looks good, I checked the screws and they're still tight, but there is no way I would risk my luck and run with that old slide.
    kj37075, DiggerD, elron and 8 others like this.
  18. Strangler

Strangler Detroit, MI

Oddometer:
    Can I ask for a moment of silence for the dearly de-parted....
    aDave, kj37075, garfey and 3 others like this.
  19. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Strangler likes this.
  20. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^this!^^. Lol

I've been following along the whole time. Feels like I know you. That's a testament to your honest writing.
    larryboy likes this.