The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    ^ Agreed. There has been something incredibly romantic about seeing these particular bikes complete what has been a massive journey, well beyond what they were intended for when sold new. It was kinda refreshing to see, and makes this seem attainable for the average, young Joe Schmo on an inexpensive bike.

It would just be wrong to replace these steeds with a shiny KTM LC8, or Boxer-engined GS, wouldn't it? :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BruceT, FR700, DaveWave and 8 others like this.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Yes. Yes, it would. :lol3
  3. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to admit something here.....I cried a little when I saw the pic of your three bikes in front of the sign. I had to get up and walk it off. I hadn’t realized how emotionally invested I had become in your story. And what a story!

Thank you is the best I can do, for taking the colossal effort to post as you go along. RRs take a lot of patience and a enormous investment of time so,again, I say thank you.

I would be interested to hearing about what you brought that worked for you or didn’t. Gear and clothes.

Doing that flat lay was awesome, thank you for taking the time to do that, just looking at the pics,it obviously take a huge amount of time and effort.

Cheers, Allen.
    dano619, mikegc and TreasureState like this.
  4. Road Barnacle

Road Barnacle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, one of the most compelling aspects of this trip was that they completed their route on real "working man's" dual sport motorcycles. First, because it runs contrary to the notion that one needs a mega-gillion dollar gorilla sized rolling touratech catalog to do this kind of work. Second, because they did things with those motorcycles that no person in their right mind would do to an expensive motorcycle, such as practically drowning them in salt water. Which, by the way, the photos were completely worth it. The bikes were sacrificial. They never got in the way of the journey.
    FR700, DaveWave, BLucare and 2 others like this.
  5. Gregulator

Gregulator Loves the dirt

Oddometer:
    Great story - just read it in the course of a day and a half. When I saw your username (before seeing Flickr username later) I wondered if you were a Stoltzfus and it tripped me out to see you later mention Honey Brook as I grew up near there (and of course knew quite a few Stoltzfuses back in school). Those roads are great breeding grounds for motorcyclists, I still miss them sometimes. Thanks for putting the time and effort into all these posts, it was really something and I enjoyed it very much. I've been considering climbing recently, after visiting AK and having someone mention the Firn Line podcast. A few episodes of that really get mountaineering ideas dancing in your head, haha, so those portions were a welcome addition.
    TreasureState likes this.
  6. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allen, this is an amazing trek. Congrats on everything! Like everyone here I'm super jealous.

Best of luck on your return home!

Assuming your luggage makes its way back to PA I am interested in buying your handlebars if you're willing to part with them. Got some cheapos from RevZilla and they bent on their first laydown. If my bike can gain even a smidge of the awesomeness from you and your DR then that's a perk. I'm down in Baltimore and could ride up and meet you. I've got a buddy up in Lititz too. PM me if interested.

Salud,
    Chuck
  7. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a film point and shoot with me on the trip and James just had it developed. Enjoy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gordon, kenbob, ChadADV and 27 others like this.
  8. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics... Followed your trip from day one. What's next?
  9. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was expecting to see Indiana Jones in some of those pics! Gentlemen, thank you for your diligence keeping all of us informed and entertained. Your travels took monumental effort and you went over and beyond sitting down at a computer and posting in the evening. I've gotta admit, I'm a bit sad that it's over but I know you're glad to be home. Thanks, again, for a great report and I know you'll be posting on your next adventure wherever it is.

Mike
  10. Zvika

Zvika n00b

Oddometer:
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More great pics! First photo = distinguished gentleman.
  12. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Those photos :clap grainy, imperfect perfection.
    Uke and TreasureState like this.
  13. isb

isb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for taking us along on your epic adventure. It is one of the most compelling reads I’ve had in forever. Wonderful stories and photos. Hat off!

How’s your job hunting going?
    kj37075 and TreasureState like this.
  14. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone, sorry for the late replies. Life has been a bit rushed since I got home; I think I've slept in my own bed maybe four nights so far. This last weekend I was hiking up in the Adirondack mountains with some friends and the scenery was beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it, and I am glad that you enjoyed following along, it's been a wild ride!

I do want to give a complete write-up of our gear, where we got it, and how it performed. I did this in bits an pieces a few places along the report, but never completed it. So look for that in the near future, I really want to make that happen.

Exactly. I really hope that this helped to show people that almost anyone can do a motorcycle trip. It doesn't need to be as long and it doesn't need to go from Alaska to Patagonia, but with a cheap bike and a little drive, adventure can be had! I will always love cheap bikes and it offers so many more options in terms of how the trip can be handled because they aren't 20k machines.

Haha, that's great, there sure are a lot of Stoltzfus' where I live. I agree, there are a lot of great roads around home, not the best for off road options, but there are endless winding roads through the country. Glad you enjoyed the climbing aspect, I highly recommend you get into it, it's so much fun!

I just saw this, I'll send you a PM. I have handlebars and many other parts for my DR that I want to get rid of :)

Thanks, glad you followed along for all that time. I am planning to move to Colorado in a few months and find a mechanical engineering job. More on that in a bit...

Thanks Mike. Yes, it was a lot of work, but I enjoyed posting, the comments, and the advrider community as a whole. If/when I do a trip in the future I will absolutely post it here.

So originally, the plan was to put together a good resume and start searching for jobs a month or so before the trip ended. But I realized that that was not going to happen with how poor or nonexistent internet service was most of the time. So I decided to wait till I got home to start that process. As I said before, I had plans to find an engineering job out in Colorado and move out there a few months after getting home.

A few days after I got home, I wrapped up my resume and started looking for jobs. At the same time, an engineer at a great company out in Colorado messaged me and said he would be happy to put me through the referral process at his company, which is big since connections really help when job hunting. A few days later, someone at RV Industries, where I worked in college contacted me and asked if I wanted to come in and chat about the trip and work opportunities. I went in and we caught up for a while. They would have offered me a job if I wanted to stay local, but I told them I wanted to move to Colorado and would probably be out there in a few months. The next day, the head of the sales department called me and said they have a full-time position available if I could commit through March since they had someone for the position but they couldn't start until the spring. It was a perfect fit since I would be making better money than a part-time random job for a few months and they really needed the position filled. So I start work Monday, a week from today and will be working full time and living at home through March or April. It's really a great opportunity as it also gives me current and relevant work experience as I look for another job. Also, I am incredibly grateful to RV Industries for the opportunity as it's pretty rare to be able to find a good short-term job like this in the engineering field. It really worked out and I'm excited.

In the meantime, I will be aggressively looking for work out in Colorado and I think the extra time will give me a better opportunity to find a job I really like.

On a side note, I cut my hair, I was tired of it. Time for that white-collar life :) Here I am at a good ole American diner with my sisters.

[​IMG]
    TownPump, Gordon, kenbob and 29 others like this.
  15. isb

isb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds perfect. If you hadn’t lined something up, I was going to offer to put you in touch with the manager of the engineered systems group where I work. He is hiring application engineers and engineering techs for inductrial controls work currently. Also, we are a distributor for Woodward Industrial Controls who are based in Fort Collins. I can ask if they have any openings if you like.
    stoltzfii, wee-twin and TreasureState like this.
  16. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
    SpiritAtBay likes this.
  17. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    This is really cool, a true US of A success story! A story that shows the American spirit, ingenuity, and drive to reach a goal! The kind of thing, that gives pride and hope for the future.
    The best of luck to all three of you!
    Cheers :clap and the band played on :kumbaya:drums:robin
    stoltzfii, TreasureState and BLucare like this.
  18. Strider1520

Strider1520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, what an AWESOME, AWESOME ride report. Night before last, I came across this and read the first 22 pages in bed - I couldn't put it down - it was like stopping halfway through an episode of Long Way Round - until my wife yelled "TURN OFF THE DAM* IPAD and go to sleep!" Got to work tonight and started back at page 1 and read the entire RR. What a great read - you guys embody ADVENTURE RIDING! Incredible story and fantastic pictures (So many of the shots are cover shots for adventure riding). The drama at the end of the trip.....wow. And then to top it off with the gig when you came back to the states.....I am gobsmacked. What a book, what a movie....... What an epic journey - what an epic read. :clap:clap:clap
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    "On a side note, I cut my hair, I was tired of it. Time for that white-collar life :) "

SELL OUT!! Just kidding, good luck with the new adventure!
    NSFW and ScotsFire like this.
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer: