The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    What an unbelievable adventure!

Thank you for such dedication to keep up the posts while on the road...especially during the incredibly stressful mechanical breakdowns and your health challenges. Most impressed with your positive outlook while having normal differences with your adventure team partners.

Fantastic pictures and videos!

Best of luck with your future plans.
    Dave
    TreasureState and kj37075 like this.
  2. DMWI

DMWI Circus Bear

Oddometer:
    Wow...What an accomplishment!
    Thanks for taking us along on your adventure. You've inspired me, along with many here.
    Best wishes to you and the guys for a fantastic future filled with many awesome adventures!
    TreasureState likes this.
  3. TicoRider7

TicoRider7 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had tears in my eyes when I finished reading this amazing journey. Much respect and admiration.
    steved57, DooSki and TreasureState like this.
  4. PDarnall

PDarnall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This shot is what is all about!
  5. BigToeThumb

BigToeThumb n00b

Oddometer:
  6. amboss87

amboss87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picture in the middle is what its all f^^^^ all About...champs
    steved57 likes this.
  7. atadloco

atadloco Ouch.. Ta Daaaaaa..

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for bringing us all along on that incredible adventure. I wish you the best in the years to come.
  8. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy holidays, and I hope 'normal' life is treating you guys well.

Dunno if you're still checking up on this thread, but I was interested to see what your daily or weekly budget might have averaged out to, if you don't mind sharing.

You guys wild camped, or hoteled it on the super cheap much more than other ride reports I've come across. Did you have an approximate budget going into it, or just tried to keep expenses as low as possible? Have an approximate total cost, etc?

Cheers,
    Chuck
  9. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chuck, I don't check this thread too often, but I do get notifications if someone posts to this thread. The holidays were great and I am really enjoying "normal life" :)

Regarding money: Initially, the trip was going to be 12 months long and I estimated $10,000 total expenses after buying the motorcycle and all gear which was probably another $5000 with most of that going towards climbing gear. Then the trip lengthened to 16 months and everything is always a little more expensive than hoped so I exceed the initial 10k. I'll break it down like this:

5k - Initial startup cost (bike, gear, luggage, etc.)
    10k - I had exactly this amount in the bank at the start of the trip
    2k - Amount I made fishing for the summer in Alaska (It was an all-time bad year)
    2k - Amount I made working construction when I was back in the states post Lyme disease, waiting to see if I was healthy enough to go back
    4k - Borrowed from my parents when we extended the trip

I spent a total of 18k in 16 months. This included everything and there were a few out of the ordinary costs that are in there, such as:

$800 - Flight to Denali Basecamp
    $600 - Bike repair bill in AK
    $500 - Medical bills in Peru for Lyme

But things like that are expected on a trip like this. I would estimate $2500 total in expenses in this category.

Budget wise, I estimated $10 a day for food, $10 for gas, and $10 for miscellaneous expenses such as bike maintenance and lodging. We did not quite hit that, but it wasn't far off as $30/day for 16 months is $14,600. We really tried to stay under $10/day for food as that is a cost you can control if you are disciplined, and the $10/day for gas is a rough approximation of total miles and average gas prices.

A few notes. According to my expenses, I finished the trip with $0 in the bank account. I actually put the last $6000 of the trip on a 0% APR Credit Card that I paid off as soon as I got a job back in the states, well before the end of the 15 month period. I would never finish a trip like this with no money in the bank account as it is always important to have an emergency fund since you never know what may happen. Also, I had the luxury of having my parents and a few other close friends who, at a moments notice, would have been able to loan 5k or more to me if I was really screwed. This allowed me to run things a little tighter than what is probably smart.

I hope that answered some of your questions!
    Gordon, steved57, td63 and 18 others like this.
  10. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, this is some fantastic info and glad things are going well back in the states!

Many thanks,
    Chuck
    Wierdrider likes this.
  11. Champ57u

Champ57u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bravo.
  12. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Today I received a warning that all my pictures on Flickr were at risk of deletion :( Flickr recently started charging for all accounts with over 1000 pictures. I have way over 1000 pictures and hosted everything on this forum through Flickr and we all know how annoying a ride report is that is filled with dead photo links.

All that to say, this trip report lives to see another day, enjoy :)
    ChadADV, Gordon, kenbob and 12 others like this.
  13. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    So when are you going back out on the road??? :augie
  15. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sinking some cash mate. Great rr and awesome pics.
    TreasureState and Uke like this.
  16. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    I don't know. As of now I have no plans for another motorcycle trip. In a few months I am moving out to Denver CO and I'll probably get some kind of dual sport out there. Down the road I would love to do the TCAT but I don't see anything big happening in the next few years; I think I'm a little burned out on bike trips for now... :(

You got it man. Thanks for the kind words.
  17. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for ponying up and keeping the pictures alive. Also, thanks for bumping this ride report back to the top.

Good Luck on the move to Colorado. PA will miss you.
    TreasureState and Uke like this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Lots of great day rides and quick overnights out of Denver. Good luck
  19. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Photo Bucket wanted to start charging me $300/ year. That's why my RTW thread has no pictures, and I no longer have a Photo Bucket acct., but thanks for paying up. I will enjoy your pictures again.
  20. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Ouch, that's rough. Flickr Pro is only $50 a year so it's reasonably priced and offers a ton of storage.