The Pan American Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stoltzfii, Apr 25, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So when is the next trip?
    Gotta have future excitement to get thru the post trip drudge.
  2. mmehring

mmehring n00b

Oddometer:
    Just read this entire forum in a few days. How did you make the windshields for your bikes? I need a new one for my KLR 650
  3. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a lot to read! Hope you enjoyed :)

My windscreen was from a 2001 BMW F650GS. I painted it because I thought it looked better but it did block some vision. Jeremy made his windscreen from a plastic 5 gallon bucket. It has some curvature to it and is really tough.

I ended up removing my windscreen as I didn't mind the extra wind and liked the increased vision. If I did it again I would use some kind of clear plastic and use heat to make bends in the plastic.
  4. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    No firm plans. I own a DR650 again and would like to do something this summer. Definitely way shorter, maybe in the one week range, but I would love to get out again!
  5. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it! Glad you enjoyed the adventure!
    If I get to North Florida I'll look you up.
    TreasureState likes this.
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you pop up again. Can't go wrong with the DR. If you start another trip, post a notice here.
    :dllama:
  7. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, indeedy, I hope you’ll report on any trips you take.
  8. Hooch Alumni

Hooch Alumni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Allen,
    How is the new (probably newer than we know ?) job ?
    Hope you are doing well!
  9. mmehring

mmehring n00b

Oddometer:
    You guys have definitely inspired me to pursue my own long distance trips. I've also gotten into climbing just from reading about you guys. I bought the mountaineering book Freedom of the hills and I'm thinking I'll join a climbing gym. I live in the mountains of North Carolina so there's good climbing all around me.
  10. mmehring

mmehring n00b

Oddometer:
    What are your thoughts on hard luggage like aluminum panniers versus soft luggage? I'm not sure which would be better. I ride a KLR 650 and I was thinking I would take that bike on my motorcycle trip. My plan was to ride up into canada from north carolina and take the trans canadian adventure trail to the alaska highway and ride up to deadhorse from there. Then when I drove back into the US I was thinking I could take the great continental divide trail that starts in montana and ends in New Mexico. Do you think the KLR would be suitable for this trip? Why did you guys choose the DR 650? How does the DR 650 compare to the KLR on a trip like this? sorry for so many questions at once!
  11. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    I definitely will, stay tuned for this summer/fall!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  12. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    New (ish) job is great! I've been living in Winter Park, CO and working remotely as a sales engineer for a PA-based engineering and fabrication/manufacturing company.

https://www.rvii.com/

It's a great company and they give me a ton of flexibility to work around my play schedule. I'm currently typing this from a co-working space in Ouray, CO, working early and late in the day so I can climb ice at the ice park for a few days. They operate on the principle that if you get your work done and do it well, then flexibility is OK. I couldn't agree more!
  13. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Good to hear! Climbing and motorcycles; two of my favorite hobbies! North Caroline has some beautiful spots and good climbing.

Regarding luggage:
    I will die on the soft luggage hill. We had custom leather soft luggage with the Mosko Moto mounting system. Since custom luggage can be challenging, I would go with an standard setup. I love Mosko, they are a great company and the bags are incredibly tough. They are the top option IMO. Second is maybe Wolfman, although I do not like their mounting system as much.

Kriega is a brand I have no experience with but their stuff looks really, really good.
    https://kriega.us/

I love the DR over the KLR, but they both work great, although specialize in their own areas. The KLR is significantly heavy and will not go as hard off-road. A competent rider can take it into very rough terrain, but objectively speaking I really think the DR is better off road. The KLR is likely better on road, with more wind protection and more mass for stability. The tank is also bigger, although it is easy to put a bigger tank on the DR. The DR is simpler mechanically and has less fairings to remove when you need to work on it.

I like the DR way more than the KLR, but many people are the opposite. It comes down to personal preference.
    TreasureState and ScotsFire like this.
  14. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kriega kit is awesome, really recommended.
  15. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Can't complain about it either good quality stuff but like the Mosko Moto bags the top-end ones with their plastic backplates is as heavy as alu panniers
    I have the ADV-SPEC Magadan soft luggage happy with those so far but haven't taken them on any serious trips so far.
    Also used the ATG Saddle Bags and I highly rate them I just upgraded to the Magadan because of the extra compartments just ask michnus original designer and of the bags, they believe in it they have been using the same bags for years now, however, he did say in the next generation he will improve some aspects of it I found the bags whilst I was out in South Africa visiting the family so far they haven't let me down they are now a well-abused after 8 years
    [​IMG]
    twowings and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I'm a big believer and user of GIVI "plastic" bags. They're lockable and easy on/off. Riding with a friend from Canada in Mongolia, he had nice Ortlieb soft bags stolen. Straps were cut and gone. GIVI's lock to mount with same key. I cannot believe the punishment they will take without breaking! When riding a dual sport event I mount them empty as crash protection. Doing a Durty Dabbers Dual Sport event in Pennsylvania, I caught a rut and went down pretty hard. That bag was twisted all to hell, top popped open and twisted way out of alignment. Raised the bike pushed it back to closing position and that's all! It closed as normal and latched. I've been using those particular bags over 20 years! I think they're the same ones I had on a Harley when I went down on the Interstate at 65 mph around 1998. All scratched to hell but still functioning perfectly. More than anything they protected the bike. I remember when I bought those bags at Daytona in the mid 1990's. I'm looking at them and muttered to myself, "Don't look very sturdy." A guy passing behind me said, "You'll be surprised at the punishment those bags will take." I often remember that. BTW I crashed hard on a different set in Mongolia, and I'm still using those bags too. I did have to replace the latch on that one - $10 and 2 minutes with a screw driver.
    ANY soft bags are better than hard IMHO. South America is littered with a few expensive aluminum panniers I witnessed being being lost after minor crashes loosened their mounts. You go down hard on an aluminum pannier, you either bust up the pannier, break the mount, or the subframe on the bike. Soft luggage absorbs shock. That's more important than the weight savings! BTW the small or medium GIVI's don't weigh any more than soft bags.
  17. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fully agree with this. I have been using these boxes on my XRV AfricaTwins for a good 30 years.

[​IMG]

Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunking Bird! Ha ha! I gave my wife one of those for Christmas. It sits between us at the dinner table.
    :lol3 :imaposer :lol2
    DunkingBird likes this.
  19. mjurchak

mjurchak n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the bump on this RR. I followed it years ago, bought a DR650, modified it for a TAT trip that never happened and sadly, rode it for a few years and sold the the old gal. I bought a T7 working on some mods and planning again to hit the road again. Date set, I'm going this time. Life's too short.
    TreasureState, ktjim and poppawheelie like this.
  20. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read this report live back in the day and just finished a re-read. I don't like to rewatch movies or re-read books, so you where you rate.

Still an excellent report.