The Parsimonious Africa Twin Farkler; or cheap-ass ways I saved nearly $9000

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by chinook1, Nov 7, 2019.

1. chinook1

chinook1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a cheapskate, a parsimonious skinflint, a stingy-ass tightwad. I will spend hours scouring the interwebs because I know, KNOW, deep in my soul someone somewhere will sell me that widget for 10% less. I’ll happily buy factory second, used, knocked-off, and counterfeited goods to save a dime. I think retail price is only for suckers and the apathetic rich.

I’m kidding, of course, but mostly not kidding. To be clear, I do not support straight up stolen intellectual property. Particularly that of innovative small companies.

That said, I feel the world of bolt-on moto accessories is grotesquely over-priced. Particularly from the big-name manufacturers, who often release something of minimal functional value but charge obscene prices compared to the actual cost of materials. I shall stand in defiance of these corporate titans and with my lone voice against the storm, shout, “No More!”

My tightfistedness is kind of a sickness, really. Probably something to do with a low sense of self-worth, having 4 kids, or a clinical need for something to “hunt” (pathetically using mouse clicks rather than trigger clicks). Who the hell knows, but recognizing this as a problem, I was moved to see just what all this investment in time and energy actually wrought. Boy was I surprised. $8782 worth of surprised.

See below exactly how I saved nearly $9000 on farkles, and my thoughts on each. Sure, some are kind of cheating, but I am comparing function-to-function, and I tried to be pretty honest. Frankly I would never, ever have considered buying most of the full retail items listed, so did I save money, really, or did I spend $9000 that should have gone towards my kids anemic college funds? Who cares; its my post so I can write whatever I feel like writing. Read on!

IMG_20190719_173652004_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg
    8lives, vander, Dale402 and 1 other person like this.
  2. chinook1

Oddometer:
    Stay tuned. Having some technical problems posting my spreadsheet...it's gonna be awesome...
  3. chinook1

Oddometer:
    Ok. Not ideal, but see if you can use these (2 page .jpeg of the spreadsheet). If there us outrage i will try to tear apart the original spreadsheet for use here. Seems like you should be able to post a simple table...

budget_Page_1.jpg budget_Page_2.jpg
    Renegade6, Reagan and PhaseShifter like this.
  4. chinook1

Oddometer:
    And some photos:

KLR 650 Amazon special footpegs:

20180629_090257.jpg
  5. chinook1

Oddometer:
    Good shots of the ghetto-genius support struts:

IMG_20190821_074611541_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190821_074626500_HDR.jpg
  6. chinook1

Oddometer:
    Cockpit view showing the DoubleTakes, Motoparty wind deflector, and "GUB" phone holder:

IMG_20190817_165732444_HDR.jpg
  7. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I say well done! Similar footpegs (but for a DR650 instead of KLR) are my go-to pegs for most bikes...not my AT, of course, because they wouldn't fit...and mine came equipped with the high-end Pivot Pegz, a bunch of Touratech stuff, Denali airhorn, Yoshimura RS4, and loaded with purple led lights?!? The lights went in the trash, but everything else stayed. I bought some Amazon shorty levers, Bike Master heated grips, Barkbuster VPS handguards, Shad SH40, and a set of 705s. My only regret: no crashbars and no suspension work, yet. Oh well...all in good time.
    chinook1 likes this.
  8. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I see what you did here! :lol3

The vast majority of your "savings" came from the depreciation someone else experienced selling $13k bike plus farkles for $10k, plus your "$800" hardbags that you already owned!

But nevertheless, bravo! Good job! :beer
    madrider5150, BLZ2DWL and chinook1 like this.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheap were I can be.Built saddle bag rack with some 7/16" cromoly my friend had laying around.Custum fit for my soft bags.Rear luggage rack 79 bucks off Amazon. Best deal I found on a full cage was the Heed bunker bars and bash plate.The Heeds fit nice and are built real tough with beautiful welds. 20191107_195333.jpg
    chinook1 likes this.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great way to save money.I purchased a bunch of cool camel parts from here much cheaper.New ADV riders are a lot like Harley riders.Many get into it,bling out and find it is not there bag.All you have to do is wait to get killer deals.
    chinook1 likes this.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    dragos, chinook1 and sirvelo like this.
  12. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    good job on the buy.
    yes the majority of the savings are from the PO taking a huge hit on the sale.
    They are not cheap, as I bought them new.
    The outex is a great alternative, but it can't really be compared to the am wheels (as you mentioned) The front has no hump. Rear is good to go.
    that said, I've got two seasons on the outex, with zero issues. And you could have saved more on the wheel conversion by going 3m, but its not as good as outex.

reg. the suspension. You can revalve/respring the front and back. If you do it yourself, you're in it for the cost of the springs. i'll make a world of difference.
    https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/the-crf1000-honda-africa-twin-fork-re-valve-procedure/
    chinook1 likes this.
  13. chinook1

Oddometer:
    Nice rack!
  14. chinook1

Oddometer:
    Damn straight!
  15. chinook1

Oddometer:
    I hear you, and appreciate that. Considering the IMS pegs have been out for decades for the KLR and XR, I justify supporting the "theft" by the fact that they more than recouped the development costs of the item. Self-delusional? Sure, maybe. I'd never spend $70 on the IMS pegs anyway, so it's not lost revenue to them. We all have our private logic on these things. I can say for sure I'd never buy a knock off of Camel ADV products or the Doubletakes. I'd rather do without. I respect your opinion, though. Maybe I'm full of shit.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  16. chinook1

Oddometer:
    I know, I know. I've read your write up probably 4 times, and am still totally bewildered. Forks are like technology from the future, so advanced to my pea-brain they may as well be magic. That's ironic considering (as I understand it) the AT forks are actually from the past! :D
  17. chinook1

Oddometer:
    No one is going to compliment my rack supports? Come on! I've only been really clever this one time in my life!

Splitter Rod,MASO 15CM 6'' Adjustable Car Front Bumper Lip Strut Rods Tie Bar Support Tool -Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXG2ZZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_blBXDbZ4DTJY1

Or if you insist on spending more money, and want it totally over engineered

FS Performance Engineering Black Splitter Support Rods 6.75-8.5"(Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTR1RS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9nBXDb7JJG6J3
  18. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Real penny pinching:
    I created 6 gallons of luggage by buying kayaking dry bags off of Amazon $30/each, 4x2 gallon buckets (bag liners) from Home Depot $2/each, various straps $30 on Amazon. Bags mount up to my Africa Twin's Altrider crash bars, specifically the connecting bars, by first mounting to those bars 5" IT server "blank" rack ($15x2) acting as backing plates. Saved $400-$500 compared to comparable soft luggage AND this setup puts 60 pounds of luggage very close to COG vs any saddle setup. Also frees up room for pillion. So cheap it's all completely expendable. Dry bags even have backpack straps.
    chinook1 likes this.
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    lol..circa 1990. I have the forks in a box, re-valved, re-sprung (190LB rider geared up), and with the good seals, and brand new 2018 regular tubes.
    Less than 250km use. They could go to a good home on exchange for the someone else's shitty AT fork
    chinook1 likes this.
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    nice...here I though I was cheap with my LOMO waterproof bags...in the end they weren't that cheap, but work great!, and are tranferrable to other bikes, as long as I get sw motech racks