The Perfect TAT bike (and maybe some other things)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lowerlattitudes, Oct 10, 2020.

1. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 3 of us here discussing the possibility of doing the TAT next year. I currently have a tiger 1050 but am thinking thats more bike than i want on for the TAT so im looking at other options. Possibly a ktm 390 adv. bike or a dr400, have even looked at the honda cb500x. Not going to do anything until after the election. A 250 seems a bit small to me considering the gear. Definitely would prefer water cooled, FI, and adjustable suspension.
  2. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Especially slow healing broken body parts...so not fun!
    :muutt:doh
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  3. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:

After some suggestions from this thread, I am down to a wr 250 / 450 or possibly an older street legal KTM. The yammie can haul like a pack mule from what I have read, has crazy long service intervals for a 250 class bike, has very good suspension even for bigger riders and is dead nuts reliable. I own a KTM and have a bit of bias towards their stupid power but expect to use very little of that on the TAT with my riding style.
    Richarde1605 and dp064 like this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The WR250R does not need much to do that trip. Lower gearing is nice and a clutch lever to open up the friction zone on the clutch. A larger fuel tank. Toss a pair of throw over saddle bags on and ride. The only issues will be altitude robs power from all bikes and you’ll encounter the throttle stop on the WR crossing the Rockies. That is only a short distance of the whole trip and is easy to deal with.
    dp064 likes this.
  5. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My choice is my DRZ400 Suzuki. I have a big tank, comfier seat, Rekluse clutch, and the option of Tusk panniers or Giant Loop Great Basin or Coyote “U” shaped bags. I don’t mind tent camping and really prefer it to moteling it, but I hate camp cooking off the bike for anything more than a cup of coffee. I will detour to find any small greasy spoon twice a day for food and a beer.
    But getting back to bike choice, light and nimble, reliable, and just plain fun is my choice.
    larryboy likes this.
  6. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:

DRZ was on my list but heard handlebars were buzzy at speed, how is mpg?
  7. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say around 50 mpg which my 4 gallon tank means a range of 200 miles easy. I mostly dirt ride my DRZ. The longest day so far has been the White Rim Trail outside Moab UT. It was about 110 miles that went by quick and the bike was perfect for it. Only thing I carried was a few bottles of water in a tail bag.
    As far as handlebar buzz, quite frankly I never noticed it. The bike has medium risers and fat bars. 204C994E-55D2-4DF7-83AC-A961297A5784.jpeg
    dp064 likes this.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think handlebar buzz on a dirt bike would be about the last thing that would deter me from an otherwise acceptable ride.
    larryboy likes this.
  9. BigStu

BigStu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something else to think about is the weight of the bike especially if you are going solo. The larger bikes can be a bit much to pick up after a drop when you are already tired. I ride a crf250l and like the fuel injection and 70+ mpg. The 250's will cruise at 60 with no problem.
    strommonster and djroszina like this.
  10. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:

now im getting into some analysis paral, older ktm 450, newer klr250 or crf250, slightly used wr250...
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    There is a CRF300L for sale in Athens. Look in the FM
  12. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion (it's worth what you paid for it) stay away from the older, smaller euro bikes. You are BEGGING for mechanical issues. Those bikes are not built for the TAT. You will be running the thing wide open for 10 hours a day for 35 days. Sorry but a small older ktm will not handle that. Stick with a new Japanese FI bike. Any of the three in your quote here will do great. I did the MABDR/TAT in 2019 on a CRF250L and it was fantastic. Problem free. I would take either of the other two as well. When I was shopping for a TAT bike in 2017 the klr had just come out and there was absolutely nothing in the after market world for it. So I passed even though I liked it a lot. I'm sure there is aftermarket stuff now. It came down to the wr and the crf. I would have taken either but I got a killer deal on a crf and the Yamaha guy wouldn't budge. At $2400 less, the crf was a no brainer. IMG_2383.JPG
  13. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advice, I think you are right about sticking with Jap FI, I could not find the Athens CRF300L in the FM though?
  14. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
  15. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure that WR250 is 2015 or newer with a 6 speed transmission!
    lowerlattitudes likes this.
  16. BigStu

BigStu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a used (less than 300mi) crf250l for $3500. That is a cheap TAT bike just add racks and luggage. With a crf I would suggest the 14/45 sprocket set up and keep a 13 with you for the mountains if you need it. It is almost identical ratio as the 13/42 but gives you an easy option for lower gearing. You can even go with a 15/45 if you want to slab your way back home although the 14/45 runs 60 plus easily.
  17. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on if he is talking a F or R. The R had the 6 speed in 2008. On the F, it does not matter much, the 6th gear just added more in the middle of the range. The final gear ratios, in 5th on the earlier models and 6th on the 15 and newer, were the same.
  19. lowerlattitudes

Oddometer:
    looking for street legalness
  20. nzedjared

nzedjared Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about doing it on a cheap KLX250s - carb versions are cheap; meets the 21/18” wheel Cheap tire & parts requirement, good suspension, bulletproof, water cooled, ok amount of oil (long enough interval), rack or rackless luggage options as long as you keep it light...and they come in Green.

Sounds like rejetting during the ride Is mandatory but at least no fuel pump failures are possible

The comment on one way rides is wise. Thinking I might rather make it two (or more) loops