The Pine Sol Degreaser Thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hondo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I put everything back together last night, installed the carbs on the bike and it fired right up. But, I have a leak on the "fuel rail" so I'll be pulling them off the bike and replacing all of the o-rings between the carbs since I'm going to have to separate them. I'm not sure if the Pine-Sol caused this or if it's because the o-ring dried out and now leaks under pressure. Before the tear down, that carb was not receiving gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    PineSol generally does not affect gaskets/rubber bits - that's why it's so popular (as well as cleaning real well). RE: carb needles - I know some air-cooled in-line 4s needed richer mixtures for the center 2 cylinders due to heat. Might want to look at the parts breakdown to see if there is a difference in part #s.
    husky390 likes this.
  3. robSTv

robSTv n00b

Oddometer:
    Dang, I guess I should fully read threads before getting excited...

Had some Pine-Sol on the shelf, but only enough for 1 carb internals, so off to Sam's to get a 2 pack of 100 oz each.

After soaking overnight, guess which one was the old Pine-Sol. (they all looked the same when poured)

EDIT post 6 hours later: Despite the seemingly lack of chemical cleaning action in the new Pine-Sol, it did do a decent job of cleaning the carbs. Some parts, were discolored more, such as jets turning burnt orange, which did not happen with original old Pine-Sol. After only soaking for about 18 hours, a lot of junk was removed and suspended in the liquid from what I thought were fairly clean carbs. Now, I cannot say old is better than new from this short cleaning.

Photo is ingredients of older Pine-Sol

IMG_20180523_084753828.jpg IMG_20180523_084956512.jpg
  4. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's alive and running great.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mslim, 9Realms, Lornce and 1 other person like this.
  5. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ran across this thread. Since the EPA decided to ban real hairy chested carb soak several years ago, mandated fairy fart chemicals, I have been using Pine Sol for carb cleaning for some time. Never had damage to rubber or plastic bits. I used it on a set of 250 Ninja carbs that had had every cleaning trick known to man or beast. The air bleed and pilot passages were plugged. I soaked the parts in Pine Sol for two days and blew everything out with high pressure air and brake cleaner. It worked perfectly. I also used it on a set of 650 Yamaha carbs that looked like tar on the insides. Took 3 soaks to get them clean, but they worked perfectly afterwards.

One thing to remember is use REGULAR Pine Sol, not scented or any other variety. There is a difference in the chemistry. Adding 25% or so water makes it work the best, at least on my experience. As a backup, I still have a gallon bucket of Pre-EPA Berrymans cleaner. Horriblr, nasty stuff that will dissolve plastic and rubber, but will make brass like new. Haven't used any of it for personal use in years, since I use exclusively Non-ethanol fuel in my scooter and bike. Anyway, Pine Sol is the real deal. It works.
  6. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    TSP will eat aluminum alloys so keep an eye out. This is especially true if used hot. Can’t use an aluminum pan for long, stainless steel is good.
  8. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I knew about that. A few quick dunks with a squirt of 175psi air through the orifices between dunks.
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Here is my KLR petock (to give you an idea of how the inside of my the tank is)

I plan to fill the tank with pinesol and let it soak for a week or so.

[​IMG]
  10. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I just through my Xr50 carb. Let's see if adds 20hp.
    SmittyBlackstone and dtysdalx2 like this.
  11. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the DR carb a couple weeks ago after reading this thread. Worked well... and cheap.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  12. Lime

Lime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know when PineSol started but the company I worked for created Pine-O-Cide in the early 1900's. It was used primarily as a disinfectant/cleaner. I couldn't find a photo of the old product container but here is a photo of the Pine-O-Cide basketball team from 1919-1920. The company still sells a newer version Pine-O-Cide II.
    Pine-O-Cide 01.JPG.jpg Pine-O-Cide 02.JPG.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    your experiment came out much better than my xr650r, had to go back to carb cleaner to get it done.