The Pine Sol Degreaser Thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hondo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Mine gelled to in an open tub but I just screened off the goo for reuse.
  2. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    I've been using the left over PS to wash the bikes.:deal

I did the 2 Mikunis in the F650. It had been sitting about 9 months and of course I never drained the gas.:doh Just got it buttoned back up and took it for a quick ride. Runs like a champ.:ricky
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tip Hondo.
    just did my dr carb last night.
    disassy, soak, tooth brush scrub in spots, hit it w/ hose (more dirt still cam out) & then air compressor to finalize/dry.

bike runs so much better!!!!
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i had an off idle bog that went away.
    i was amazed how much gunk came out.
    pine sol is the bomb for cleaning carbs.

5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried it with a heavily sludged Opel valve cover. It did take off the areas where the sludge was very thin, but didn't touch the thicker areas. Definitely need to get all the thick stuff off first.

[​IMG]

Right side standing up. The inside was even worse.

I have it cleaned and painted now, and will post a photo soon!

Jim :brow
  6. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Would Pine-Sol also work for cleaning the air filter foam element? Form what was said in thsi thread it sounds like it should.
    TIA
  7. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Not sure about that-

Normally I'd use Dawn dish washing soap for that.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
  9. Ratski

Ratski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just let the carb off my 1970 Siplicity riding lawnmower sit in 50/50 mix for about 48 hours and here are my observations. It did a good job of cleaning the carb body and float and bowl. It did not seem to harm the plastic fuel inlet barb. Cleaned with dawn and water and no flash rust or corrosion as of yet (took it out about two hours ago). Reassembled with a rebuild kit from Briggs and Stratton and reinstalled and ater a minor tweak of the main mixture screw, ran better than it has in the two years I've had it. It was suffering from lack of power and severe surging, to the point I couldn't mow my lawn and finally, it wouldn't stay running. Now it runs great, as much power as you could expect from a 40 year old 7 horse L-head Briggs and idles dead smooth and no surging at all.

My only gripes in the process (and i'm not sure the first one is a bad thing) is that it didn't touch the remnants of the paper or cork float bowl gasket, which for those not doing a complete disassemble is a good thing, I guess.

But my big thing is, and here is a warning for those about to attempt this, IT TOOK THE PAINT OFF! While not a huge deal (its an aluminium carb with a steel float bowl and is stored inside) It was unexpected and kinda dissapointing. So while most bike carbs are unpainted, be careful about puting painted parts in this stuff unless you are ready to prep and paint afterwards.

YMMV

Ratski
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking a little better:

[​IMG]

Jim :brow
    marbee40 likes this.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    try either laundry soap (not detergent) flakes (traditional for thickening gasoline for 'social' purposes) or Cabosil (from a fiberglas supply place.
  12. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    I tried it on the hubs on my DRZ. Didn't work. More of a textured aluminum. FYI
  13. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    :D
    Can any of you Honda guys who have done this tell me where these washers go? I've got three of them, not sure if the fourth is still in place or...:baldy
    This is from a 1982 Honda CB650sc. The carb bank looks very similar to the one in the first post.
    Thanks in advance...

[​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49797194@N08/4778330801/
  14. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are o-rings and washers of approx. that size on each air screw....
  15. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Then get a bigger tub? The big round overflow pans you put under a hot water heater may work. Not costly. You could also try wrapping the hub with cheap terry* towels (Home Despot, 12 packs, Paint dept), setting it over a 5 gallon bucket or other drip pan, and saturating the towels. Add more every half hour. If you have to stay up all night saturating the towels and drinking beer, so be it. Anything for the cause, right?

*Use real terrycloth towels with the loop fabric. Cheesecloth (supermarket) is a second option if you use enough of it. You need a tight wrap and good stuffing between the spokes.
  16. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About tenish years ago or so, I had a 1969 gmc truck, with a carb that really needed to be cleaned bad. I was a poor student that preferred to drink and party with the women all night over having food, so needless to say I didnt have extra cash for carb cleaner.

My mother gave me a bottle of pin sol (think she was trying to hint at something? haha) and one day I had the carb apart, no money for carb cleaner, so9 I used the pin sol. It worked like a charm, and the carb was like brand new as well.

I never did use it again, but its really cool to come across this thread and see that someone else has actually done, or does this!
    husky390 likes this.
  17. Wylie

Wylie Back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Be careful with the ZEP degreaser on aluminum parts, or at least something like swing arms that have a clear coat, I doubt mine will ever look the same again.
  18. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Thank you, that was my suspicion.
  19. Zagando

Zagando BMW uber alles!

Oddometer:
    Took my carb apart and am soaking everything in a Pine Sol bath for a few days (until my new gasket arrives that I ordered today).

Here's the BEFORE shots, complete with varnish crystals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post AFTER pics once the Pine Sol has worked its magic.:wink:
  20. Wylie

Wylie Back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    I personally learned not to soak rubber parts for extended periods of time in Pinesol as they will swell!

The subject of the lesson was a 1994 DR 350R Nissin front brake caliper. I let it soak for four to five days because it was a mess and the fist scrubbing after a two day soak didn't do much for it.

Then I come to find the seal or dust seal one or the other had been discontinued! :huh

I got a bit lucky and resourceful being another 2 days of sitting buried in table salt leached enough moisture out of the seals I was able to reinstall the pistons into the caliper.

I guess that would be two lessons then wouldn't it. :dunno