The plan for Adventure Rider

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Baldy, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    A few months ago we pulled ADV out of SmugMug's data centers. It was a great run there for 15 years because they gave us free hosting and support. However, they got busy buying Flickr so we couldn't get attention for upgrades.

Moving it was a big challenge but @SpecialKev aced it. He made us more secure in the process by upgrading to https and migrating to the most recent version of the software that powers us.

To pay for our newfound freedom, we had to start running ads, but we're working on a subscription plan for people who don't want ads (me!).

We have a new member of the ADV team, @Pauladv , who @rudy1220 has known for years. He is putting together a page of articles that will serve as ADV's home page. Here's work-in-progress with some placeholder text: https://staging.advrider.com/

The hope is to become an unbiased ADV voice for the industry—for riders by riders so we can get first looks to review bikes and gear, break industry news, cover insider stories from pro riders, provide coverage of events like Dakar, AIMExpo in Vegas, etc.

The intent is to tap some of you to write stories, and to recruit pros & storytellers in the industry. I'm working on a story about the Central Rally (which was awesome!) and another about @Cannonshot , the amazing guy who has taken on the role of head mod, not an easy thing to do.

Cannonshot:

[​IMG]

Rudy and Paul are also working on a newsletter to alert us of the best stories & forum posts. They've been working hard on this stuff for awhile, so hopefully you'll start seeing it in September.

Questions? Comments? Never have known you to be shy.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:
    I've come to really like the Xenforo and have been repairing my old ride reports since I don't really go anywhere else socially online.

Thanks for the upgrades and keep up the good work, I for one appreciate your efforts.
    Blue Mule, dave6253 and Baldy like this.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    Thank you for originating, maintaining, and improving a fantastic community! Thousands applaud!
  4. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    The plan for Adventure Rider seems to be commercialization. :dunno
    SirWrecksAlot likes this.
  5. mikejana

mikejana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for do this advrider.com thing, we really appreciate it.
  6. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    seems i can't understand exactly what is the plan.
    a magazine (written by ourselves) and a forum 2 in 1 ?
    something else?
  7. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be a great shame if there were ads all over our pages, but l always wondered why this hasn't happened before, after all, everyone likes to make a buck or two.

Hopefully all will be revealed soon with a more thorough explanation........
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Harvey Mushman

Oddometer:
    Couple thoughts...

Anything that taps the effort @Cannonshot is going to be good.

Seems like running a site with ads and the desire to be "an unbiased ADV voice for the industry" are kinda headed in opposite directions. I'd rather this place be an unbiased ADV voice for the rider, but that's just me.

And what do I know.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful! Thanks for the thousands of hours you put into this beast.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe self sustaining with some cheddar for the owners is a better way to think of it?
  10. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Back in the day, I was active in various forums on topics I was interested in: Slowtwitch (where I wrote my IronMan race report), DPReview, because I like photography, etc. All of our sites were just forums and I got to know some of the owners.

I felt lucky because I didn't have to mess with ads like they did.

They began to complement their forums by hiring editors and writers and at first I didn't like it because it felt too commercialized. They had to get sponsors, show big ads, yada. But over the years I started to get it. Thursday, for example, Nikon introduced a new camera that fascinates me, the Z7. Nikon sent DPReview a pre-production unit and they spent a day putting the camera through its paces. Nice. And then you could dive into the forums to see what other people thought of it. Would you buy the first version or wait for the second? How much can we get for our existing cameras?

That's the direction we're going to try and go. Paul is a professional editor and I think he plans to seek articles that are written by a combination of riders who are active on the site today and writers who can review equipment and cover events. Yes, it will look more commercial than we have in the past, but it will also get us interesting things to read that we haven't been able to get.

Make sense?
  11. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes it does!
    and thank you for the response.

reading the first post , something like "DPReview" was on my mind.
    i don't know how you are going to set it up and i really don't like that idea so much but so far you did it well and thanks to you, me and many other active inmates enjoy this forum.
    i will wait to see...
    crossed fingers for a better ADVrider:-)
    rudy1220 and Baldy like this.
  12. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    I've been here forever. Sure, there have been a few bumps along the way to getting where we are today.
    Underneath all that, there are those in the background toiling away and trying their best to keep this forum the premier motorcycling forum that it has become.

For me, that means trust, trust that those in charge will do whats best to keep this place what it is, and hopefully will become in the future.

Have at it boys and girls, I'm here for the duration, no matter what you do. Because I trust that you will do good by all of us inmates.
  13. Baldy

Oddometer:
    One very exciting thing for me is I like to take photos and tell stories and there is the possibility I can go to events like Dakar and indulge those passions with this scheme. Oh damn, that would be amazing.

[​IMG]
    DaFoole, ACR, shiryas and 6 others like this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I'm all for all the ideas you have. I think it is great! I would even consider contributing a tech article or two.

My question/concern, is this how you plan to fund ADVRider, and if so, what effect will it have on the forum as it stands?

If you covered this, and I missed it, I apologize!
    Blue Mule and scfrank like this.
  15. TheBear

TheBear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. If you need any Australian content, let me know. I do overseas trips, too.
  16. rudy1220

rudy1220 Administrator Administrator

Oddometer:
    I'll send you a PM :) we're looking for international content for sure.
  17. Pauladv

Pauladv ADVrider.com Content Guy

Oddometer:
    @Baldy and @rudy1220 thanks for the introduction. I am extremely excited to launch our magazine-style content website.

Since joining the team I have been speaking to, video chatting and exchanging emails with many members of the forum trying to understand what y'all most want from an adventure riding content website. Ultimately I am here to serve you.

Many of you have echoed the same fear that many of the men and woman I spoke to also bought up. They feared the site we are working on would overshadow and draw resources and attention away from the forum.

That is most definitely not going to be the case. ADVRider IS the community. Full stop. Anything else is secondary. The new site exists to complement the forum. Most of our content will be written by members of the community and I hope to use the new site to showcase some of the wonderful posts on the forum, such as some of the epic ride reports. Some of the technology I am developing for the new site will hopefully flow back and enhance the forum.

We are looking for contributors. PM me if you are interested in contributing. @TheBear, @JimVonBaden, I am PMing you.
    ACR, Boondoggle and JimVonBaden like this.
  18. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Pauladv welcome!
    will alerts be visible in the new home page?
    or we will have to enter the forum?
    that homepage serves viewing any new stuff but a PM or a response i think is priority.
    i know i can have any page as a bookmark and go directly to the forum,but if i don't have any critical alerts , why not stay and "read" the magazine?
    speaking of that is there a possibility to have a second "alert button"?
    to have our alerts in two categories?
    i mean to have critical alerts like "someone mention you in the the........"
    or "someone quoted your post in the ......." in a different color alert button.
    just an idea....:hmmmmm
  19. Achro

Achro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If the forum is still the priority, shouldn't the "From our Forum" section be a little more prioritized? Adding more space for featured forum posts (cool new RRs, build threads, events etc.) would help new users realize the value of the forum, find a niche, and contribute. Otherwise, people new to the site could easily miss out. That would also help with making the site seem less commercial... I mean you are adding ads, gear reviews, and articles all at once so if the community isn't front and center, you are commercializing.

Unfortunately, other sites like chopcult IMO have been downgraded by focusing more on articles and neglecting the forum. The community becomes one sided and bland...

Also I think a tab for tech articles would be good.

Edit: Still overall a great idea! Really like the gpx embed feature. Just gotta find the right balance on the homepage.
    EastRoad, Night_Wolf and rudy1220 like this.
  20. rudy1220

rudy1220 Administrator Administrator

Oddometer:
    really good feedback, we're super sensitive about this and once the core of the actual content software is done (we're getting there) the last step is solving for how to make the forum have more visibility within it. Our assumption is that most of us will still come directly to the forum first, because that's what we all do :)... but to your point the new visitors are the ones we're going to need to funnel towards the community. We think this kind of content will introduce ADV to a new set of riders or aspiring riders who will hopefully then come to the forum to dive deeper.
    Baldy and Achro like this.