The Planning of a Monster

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by SuperSonicRocketship, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Seadragon16

Seadragon16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'd be surprised how many people don't use facebook, but like I said, each to their own. I know we wouldn't have had anywhere near so many interactions with ADV members if we'd written our report on facebook and not here.
    Cici likes this.
  2. SuperSonicRocketship

SuperSonicRocketship 50 Nations and Counting

Oddometer:
    Hey folks.

I see a bit of debate over the Facebook vs. ADV platform for keeping a trip log. I think it comes more down to ease of use.

Every device I carry allows use of the Facebook App and Messenger system. The Ride Report is often shared to the F800 Facebook riders page with around 6,000 active English speakers there to help with bike issues. When we had that water pump leak in Norway we put a post up and within 20 minutes we had 20 odd replies and a guy in Sweden called the Umea BMW dealership for us to negotiate prices and schedule. The same in Finland from @Pecha72 . In fact the only way we have been able to communicate with anyone has been the free Internet Phone calls on the FB messanger app. Plus everyone back home, friends family and parents use it.

But the most useful feature so far is the auto-translate system. We can send a message to a Russian accommodation page for example, link it to the trip report page, it will auto-translate and they can reply via Facebook to either our own personal pages or the inbox for the trip report. That feature alone has made it priceless. Average post reach on the Facebook platform is around 3,000-4,000 and 5,000+ on the F800. There's just so many more people there to interact with on a much more accessible platform.

I'd love to keep multiple reports ADV, HU and the website, but with very intermittent access often very slow, I'm struggling to keep up 1 :(

Maybe once we get out of Europe I can source cheaper data packages and have Internet access on hand, allowing me to update more freely. That would be nice as I'd have loved to have a dedicated ADV thread too that I could copy over to HU.

Brucie
  3. rhjiii46

rhjiii46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any posting anywhere about this trip in the last month? Nothing here and nothing on Facebook that I can find.
  4. xbonez

xbonez 2016 Tiger 800 XRT

Oddometer:
    Last I heard, they had to pause the trip to sort out Kyla's visa issues. I'm guessing they haven't resumed yet

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  5. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
    I've lost all interest to be honest. I refuse to get Facebook if I can't read it here.

www.camellero.net
    Seadragon16 and nickguzzi like this.
  6. DMCaton

DMCaton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While it's not as convenient (for the reader) as being posted on ADVRider, you can still follow along on the Facebook page without actually creating a Facebook profile since their page is set to public. I logged out of my profile and tried to load it, it worked after I completed a captcha and clicked something saying I didn't want to log in or create an account.
  7. Cameleer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that in order to read the page you must subscribe, which I do not want to do. Thanks

www.camellero.net
  8. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also a fb hater for various reasons, one being the dreadful blogging upside down style . I was only mindly interested, so I wouldn't be a daily peruser anyway, and coming in on a weekly/fortnightly basis is too tedious.
    Just had a look, not that surprised to see them back - for all the help and info they culled from here.
  9. JGT

JGT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bruce,

Can you give us an update -- when will you and Kyla be back on the road?
  10. Scotriders

Scotriders n00b

Oddometer:
    Was speaking with Kyla just the other day and they are in limbo waiting on the Russian embassy re-processing her visa's.
    Could be a few days or weeks before they get back on the road.
  11. rhjiii46

rhjiii46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It amazes me these folks would post 37 pages about getting ready for a trip then just let it drop! Any word out there?
  12. Scotriders

Scotriders n00b

Oddometer:
    There are still back here in Scotland trying to get all their Russian visa's changed.
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious.

Oddometer:
    ... And I can say from experience that trying to keep up with a ride report while on the road is extremely difficult.

I've tried several times and after a few days/weeks on the road, I find myself so far behind my report I'll never catch up.

There are some people who are really good at it, and I'd like to learn how they do it.

Jamie
  14. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I did it for a 3 week trip last year. When you're pounding out big mile days, it's tiring and the last thing you want to do. I'd think for long-term travel, though, it'd be easier. More non-riding time, not changing locations as rapidly, so a little easier to stay caught up.

I, too, am disappointed that there isn't an ADV thread for the trip. I'll check out the FB page, but advrider.com is my hub for all things motorcycle, I'd imagine I'd forget to check the FB page after a while... I'm curious what their issue is right now, though...
    Cameleer likes this.
  15. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    To the folks following this one... there is now a ride report posted by Bruce.
    Pecha72 and Scotriders like this.
  16. Cameleer

Oddometer:
    Got a link?

www.camellero.net
  17. kriske1969

kriske1969 n00b

Oddometer:
  18. Cameleer

Oddometer: