The PNW Trepidation Tour 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Turkeycreek, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    We left Port Angeles on Saturday heading east on Hwy 101.
    Timberland and farms. Green. Very green.

The weather was changeable through the morning with more clouds than sun and some sprinkles on the windshields. I was excited to cross the Hood Canal floating bridge that takes traffic across Hood Canal of Puget Sound and connects the Olympic and Kitsap Peninsulas. At 7,869 feet (1.490 mi; 2.398 km) in length (floating portion 6,521 feet (1.235 mi; 1.988 km) it is the longest floating bridge in the world located in a saltwater tidal basin, and the fourth longest floating bridge overall. First opened 59 years ago in 1961, it was the second concrete floating bridge constructed in Washington. The bridge did sink 1979. Lynn did not like to hear that.

The sprinkles held off as we approached the span but it was foggy with limited visibility.
    We did get to spend some time on the bridge as they were opening the floating portion to let a boat through. I could not tell if we were on a fixed portion of the bridge or floating section but it was solid with no movement during our wait. (Two years ago while stuck in traffic on the Throgs Neck bridge in New York the bridge was really moving.) The wait was maybe 20 minutes. The lack of visibility and our position pretty far back in the line of traffic didn't allow any photos of the open span.

upload_2020-7-2_14-11-2.png

upload_2020-7-2_14-13-35.png

It was pretty gloomy but I liked it. I have to figure out how to take better fog photos as these pics don't portray the feeling of being there. Fog is pretty rare in the Sonoran desert.

We continued on the loop around to the south of Olympia to Chehalis for the night - nothing special there.

We did another short day riding to Portland to visit my nephew Chris and and his partner Shannon the 28th. Chris is a chef at one of Portland's best restaurants - Le Pigeon. We had hoped to sample his creations but he had the day off and the restaurant is not open for inside dining. We spent some time with them at their home but maintained social distancing. I had not seen Chris for at least 10 years and it was disappointing to not be able to get some hugs. We will have to get back and check out Portland another time. The weather continued iffy as we crossed the very beautiful St. Johns Bridge over the Willamette River.
    A photo from the web
    upload_2020-7-2_14-25-29.png

We turned west towards the coast again and spent the night in Hillsboro not far from Portland.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Dude! You are in Hillsburrito and you didn't give us a heads up? :dirtdog

Where are you guys headed next?

Gustavo
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    We turned west to Hwy 6 to Tillamook. We stopped at the Dutch Mill diner in Tillimook. It is a 50s style diner with some fun decor items.

upload_2020-7-2_21-5-58.png

They also had this but I didn't take a turn

upload_2020-7-2_21-17-40.png

We rode on to south on Hwy 101 - the Pacific Coast Hwy. It was cold and spitting rain with some fog hugging the beaches. Lynn was cold. I was pretending not to be. The views from the bluffs of the storm surf were spectacular. The scene past the green growth on the bluffs was monochrome and mesmerizing. Having spent my youth on the opposite coast I love the ocean. We took our time and made lots of stops.
    upload_2020-7-2_21-34-41.png

But many of the parks and view points were closed including the whale watching station. There were a surprising number of travelers on the road.

upload_2020-7-2_21-35-49.png

We rode on to Newport OR. The weather forecast for the following morning was more of the same.

Tuesday we awoke to rain and fog and 52 degrees. We talked about continuing down to Coos Bay as we planned but we were not enjoying the weather. Change of plan and we headed inland to Corvallis - home of the OSU Beavers - then south to Eugene. The weather was 15 degrees warmer and partly sunny. Much better.

A very different landscape, more farms and small towns, past fruit trees, hazelnuts and grass seed farms This part of Oregon is apparently the grass seed capital of the state, possibly the world.

We turned south towards Roseburg on Hwy 99 an paralleled I-5 for a ways but where the valley narrowed I-5 and 99 were the same.

We stayed in Roseberg which set us up the ride to Crater lake in the morning.

July 1 Rabbit rabbit, rabbit
    We started up towards Crater lake on Hwy 138 following the Umpqua river. It would be amazing on 2 wheels. Three wheels was pretty good though. Finally a mostly blue sky day.
    As we started off I was feeling quite tired with the beginnings of a headache. But the scenery and the winding road were enough to keep my mind off things.

upload_2020-7-2_21-56-18.png

We stopped to check out the Tioga bridge. An amazing wooden structure.

upload_2020-7-2_22-0-26.png

upload_2020-7-2_22-2-21.png

A bit farther up the road We came upon an accident that closed the narrow winding highway. We waited in traffic for some time until the fire and rescue folks did their work and were able to proceed. Now I was more tired than ever. After we cleared the accident we continued up higher. I was not feeling any better. I was just weary. We decided to head back down and Lynn suggested that we get some coffee and maybe something to eat On the way up we past the Steamboat Inn. Looked interesting so we pulled in. They have room, cabins and a restaurant. Very nice place right on the river. We had a very nice (expensive) lunch outside in the patio and listened to the river.

upload_2020-7-2_22-19-5.png

I felt a bit better but still very tired. @bisbonian might be tempted to say that this is to be expected for a man of my age but I hope he suppresses the urge.

We rode back Roseburg and the hotel.
    The plan was to leave for Klamath falls Thursday but we stayed a third night in Roseburg. We rode around town a bit but did pretty much nothing but rest a bit.
    Tomorrow we will head to Klamath Falls.

As I said earlier, many places are closed. Park visitor centers, museums, restaurants. We have eaten most of our meals in our hotel room after running the rig through drive throughs and walk up windows. I'm not complaining, we are out seeing amazing scenery, very much enjoying the ride and spending time together but once we get off the bike we feel sort of locked down. Washington and Oregon are spectacularly beautiful from the mountains, forests and the coast but we will be heading east after the July 4th holiday. We are feeling more trepidation now with the virus spiking and the behavior of people who are not taking it seriously.

The plan at the moment is to head to Reno, then to Carson City and Hwy 50. America's Loneliest Highway. Maybe covid-19 will be taking a more populated route. We will cross Utah into Colorado. There is great riding and great things to see ahead. We have family and lots of friends in the Denver metro area but again, these are not normal times.

From Colorado we will head south towards Sonora. More ride ahead. Boop-Boop-a-Doop.

Attached Files:

4. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be tempted, but I just hope you feel better.
    The rains have finally begun in Tucson, hopefully it's enough to put the fire out.
    Tricepilot likes this.
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bisbonian. The monsoon is a little late. Let's hope it is plentiful and gives the firefighters the help they need to prevail.
  6. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Probably Latitude sickness. You been too far south for too long. :D
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, between all the fog and the planet spinning, relatively, so much slower up here you're probably getting too much oxygen...or not enough...or something. ;)
    Flyin' Monkeys and noshoes like this.
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    It's from the lack of chiltipins and bacanora. All I can get is jalapenos and tequila. I found some chiltipins in a ziplock in my tankbag. I'm saved!
    chilejack and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Friday we rode to Klamath falls the back way. We were both feeling better. We had some interesting twists and turns trying to find roads with one name on the nav programs and another on the street signs. We finally got on track and had a great ride through forests and pasture land. There was a lot of holiday traffic building. A lot of trailers and RV's on the road, more than we would have thought in the crazy time.

We stopped for lunch at a small burger place and a young girl, maybe 7 or 8 years old, was quite taken by the sidecar. She walked back and forth a few times and kept looking at the rig. As her family was getting ready to leave, Lynn and I put our masks on and told her mom that she could sit in the car if she wanted. She climbed right in.

upload_2020-7-5_21-50-56.png

We got into town and kind of hunkered down and did pretty much did nothing. The tiredness was back but not as bad. We walked around a bit and did some shopping for food items. We were able to watch the town fireworks from our hotel window. Pretty impressive display that lasted a long time.

We got on the road again this morning. We rode towards Susanville, CA along great some empty roads. We stopped at Tulelake and rode to the petroglyphs. The area was in full shade so no photos but Mt Shasta was visible to the west

upload_2020-7-5_22-16-57.png

Mt Shasta is 14,179 ft (4321 m)

Tule lake is also home to one of the largest Japanese internment camps from WWII.

Just up the road ....

upload_2020-7-5_22-36-33.png

The truck on the left is a Chevy, the center truck is an International. I don't know my old farm trucks so I don't know the truck on the right. The Chevy and the IH had plates from 1963.

We rode past these sculptures and I had to turn around

upload_2020-7-5_22-43-13.png

I'll post more individual photos of these later.

We got to our hotel and saw this impressive duct tape job.

We are moving slowly, taking it easy. We are avoiding popular venues and avoiding crowds and traffic and doing low mile days. We are in no hurry. We will head to Carson City tomorrow. Virus cases are increasing in Nevada and will continue to do what we can to distance our selves. We have been in contact will many people in the last 18 days and don't want to deliver the virus to anyone if we are carrying it. It might seem that we are denying ourselves much of the great things to see and do but remember, we plan to come back and ride to Alaska next year.
    If we feel good we will turn east on US Hwy 50, the Lincoln Hwy and take it all the way to Colorado. I am thinking that this is probably the road my mom and one of her fellow WACs took on their Seattle to New York drive aft the end of WWII. after they returned from serving in the South Pacific and mustered out. I can't find a plausible alternate route but US Hwy 6 is the only other possibility. I wish I had gotten the whole story of that trip.

Attached Files:

10. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's great that the little girl was able to sit in the sidecar. She is going to have that as a wonderful memory of the day. I'm sure enjoying this report.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    U.S. road map circa 1950--

1950_USHighways.jpg
    DC950, Flyin' Monkeys and Tricepilot like this.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drone.
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Another photo of one of the trucks
    upload_2020-7-6_14-21-57.png
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
  15. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks like an old WW2 Dodge power wagon. I can remember seeing a couple of them as a kid.
  16. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The flat angles of the sheet metal and the head light protectors say 40s Dodge
    Flyin' Monkeys and Tricepilot like this.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love this post especially because having been to see you at your hotel in Mexico, and having enjoyed a score of wonderful experiences with you, INCLUDING chiltipins AND bacanora, I can happily relate to your missing such treats.

That bottle of smoky bacanora you brought me on your visit to my house here in San Antonio, to this day, is a savored memory.
    Turkeycreek likes this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Trice, if you saved that bottle bring it back for a re-fill
    Tricepilot likes this.
  19. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    A short ride today. Tonight we are in Carson City, NV. We had hoped to make the turn east on Hwy 50 but we were buffeted by high winds for much of the ride. I was OK but Lynn felt a bit bounced around in the chair. So we cut the ride short by about 60 miles. We looked at the wind forecast last night and Tuesday will be calm.

We went for Mexican food at Mi Casa Too which was close by. We were going to do take out but we had the dining room all to ourselves. Our waiter was from Puebla and we talked a bit about where we live in Sonora. He came back out with the cook who is from Obregon in Sonora and has family in Hermosillo. He knew the Rio Sonora Valley and the towns. Kind of fun.
    The food was quite good.

This very cool tapestry is from Michoacán. It's about 6 feet in diameter. Our waiter told me it has been there for 20 years or more.

upload_2020-7-6_20-51-6.png

I'm thinking the ride across Nevada will be different than what we have seen and likely hot. We have ridden much of Utah though and much of Colorado.

Thanks for following along.
    liv2day, Animo, poopermom and 5 others like this.
  20. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    World War II surplus Studebaker US6, 6X6 or 6X4 2 1/2 ton

6996257715_857e623589_b.jpg
    Ginger Beard, poopermom, Cal and 3 others like this.