1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Nico

Nico The Garg

Oddometer:
    I can totally related to his not wanting to drive it in traffic, so he wakes very early and puts it through its paces. Dad had a Testarossa that got the same treatment, and his '66 Bonneville has no business being anywhere near typical daytime traffic. (Dad's still pretty pissed about me "stealing" the Testa for a joy ride when he went to Florida to visit family. Not my fault he was less than original with the safe code. :D )
    waybill and dlearl476 like this.
  2. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or just drive a 928. German corvette...doesn’t drive anything like a 911. Great car but so different.

I know of a sweet one owner ‘94 928 gts (auto) if anyone wants something kind of unique.
    dlearl476 likes this.
  3. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Nice report Ken, thanks. Turn 9 is def an attention getter and best worked up to gradually in a rear engine car but can be done flat with a little practice as noted, it sounds like you prepared well.

Interesting about the gas mileage, my old school RSR with mech. slide valve F.I. used to get around 3 mpg but it had a 31 gal tank and was good for about an hour 15 before stopping. Race fuel was around $6.-7/gal in the 70's and 80's so it was a little pricey then too..

As for roads in the Smokies there are likely few places with any that are more fun. In the late 70's there was a group of 8 or 10 of us with 911's and 930's that took long weekends up there on back roads and would fly around until someone's wife or GF got sick then we'd have to rest for a little while.. My mom had a home in Highlands from the 60's till about 5 years ago so I've spent plenty of time on all those roads, heck it's where I learned to (actually) drive in the 60's in a little S 90 coupe.

Locally I usually go out late at night when there's almost no traffic, nice having the roads to yourself not to mention infinitely safer. And why a lot of the car pics are taken in the dark : )
    High Hope, Nico and dlearl476 like this.
  4. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    When I found some old car pics a few weeks ago this little booklet was in among them. It was put out by Porsche in the late 60's I guess to educate their customers and generate some interest in racing. Figured I’d wait awhile then tell a story about the car on the cover and the guy driving it.

5AC36AF8-94E8-4229-BA79-8E6C03ECE63B.jpeg

Today I came across a video of the car and it’s current owner.

In the mid 80’s I was at the Miami Grand Prix with the 910 doing the vintage race as part of the weekend. A dapper gent walked up and said, I used to have one of those. I go, Really! He says I’m Fred Baker I raced a Carrera 6 when they were new and Dick Smothers was my co-driver at the 12 Hours. I told him it was a 910 but he was close enough..

Long story short we went to dinner that night and he came back Sunday for the race and gave me some pointers. For the next couple years he’d go to some of the Fla races with me and imparted a good deal of his racing knowledge especially with the 2.5 911. And more crazy stories than I can remember. His father owned Tonka Toys, basically he had unlimited funds, went racing and hung around with Newman, Garner, Penske, Dick Smothers, etc. We’ve lost touch over the years but I hope he’s still doing ok.

When this video of his 911 popped up I figured it was a sign.

Bors, dlearl476, hpsVFR and 3 others like this.
  5. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talked with the service manager at the local Porsche dealer today regarding the "limp mode" fault I experienced.
    It was related to temperature, but not exactly in the way I expected.
    He said it was very likely due to pre-ignition.
    If there is a next time, I'll try some higher octane fuel.

While not funny at the time, in hindsight it's a bit funny how little issues can cascade into much bigger problems.

I had 1,000 miles on the Dunlop Race 2 tires on the GT3 RS before leaving and was expecting to drive up, do one track day, then drive over the weekend and back home.
    But we added a 10 day stay prior and then a second track day got added, so I was nervous about what the condition of the tires might be during the two days of... spirited driving.

I first imagined I would arrange to have new tires put on but then realized it wasn't practical as it would be too late to have it done Friday after the track session and would cut into too much driving time of I could even arrange for it Saturday morning.

From there I figured I would buy some cheap wheels, have tires mounted, and have them changed out at the track.
    Naturaly, none of the cheap wheels were available in staggered sizes for the RS.
    To add insult to injury, the only wheels available in time were nothing I really wanted.
    But, I wanted good tires so resigned myself to both the cost and undesirable wheels.

After the wheels were switched, I was informed "we didn't discuss TPMS sensors so we didn't install them."
    Argghhh! My wife actually drove that car up (I drove another) and the resulting warning light was going to be problematic (and was - she insisted on driving the other car home).

So here's my "pimped" ride:

image005[2529].jpg
    tjzondrz, Sidewaysxr and slideways like this.
  6. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    High Hope likes this.
  7. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Got so attached to the RS over the past couple weeks that I decided to take the wing off and make it my daily.
    Traded the Touring in on another car.

Would like to make a piece to make this look a little better.
    Thinking of some kind of black plastic.
    Anyone have a recommendation for a material that can be relatively easily worked (some kind of plastic)?

20190510_141624.jpg
  8. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Porsche rekindles its Speedster tradition that should be its loss-leader cheapie! I'll take two, please.
    Sidewaysxr and dlearl476 like this.
  9. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Somehow I don't think it will be a loss-leader or cheapie : )
    Sidewaysxr and High Hope like this.
  10. KenCM

Oddometer:
    It's in the configurator. Starts at $275K.
    I heard there are between 400-500 being shipped to the US.
    Saw the two in the video (or identical examples) at PEC in ATL this week.
    They're nice, but I don't have a surf board.
  11. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Interesting color.

0224F2B3-BF2F-4CF6-8058-0A09A8401395.jpeg
  12. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may want to contact a marine fabricator and see if they can make you something out of black King StarBoard.
    hpsVFR likes this.
  13. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Looks like what I am looking for - ordered some.
    DirtMerchant likes this.
  14. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that looks a lot better than the last time they did a 911-based Speedster. I remember thinking "Pictures probably don't do it justice" and then I saw Nick Cage's car for sale at a B-J auction. Nope, they're just as ugly in person.
    They took everything hideous about the higher tail of a Targa and made it worse by adding the headrest nacelles and the lowered windscreen.
    waybill likes this.
  15. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those wheels don't look half bad. And now you have a set of wheels for dedicated track day rubber. Sounds like a win-win to me.
    Sidewaysxr likes this.
  16. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Late 80s 911 Speedster seemed to have better proportions, top up or down, than anything after... The latest one is just ginormous - made that poor 356 (in the video) seemed like going in reverse...

88 speedster.jpg

1989 - Porsche 911 Speerster 03.JPG
  17. ChairmanMaose

ChairmanMaose OneLessCar

Oddometer:
    This speedster was for sale on Vancouver Island years ago. I wonder what became of it? Does anyone want to guess what car those headlights came from?

519530.jpg
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    You don't realize how salient those two points are.

When my wife first saw those wheels she exclaimed "What did they do to your car?!!!"
    A week later she came in from washing the car (I don't wash cars, I wait until she is embarrassed by how dirty they are and then she washes them) and said "I am embarrassed to say that I kinda like those wheels."
    I had much the same experience - enough so that I 'm considering getting the TPMS sensors put in them.

Road Atlanta was so much fun, and Sebring is so close, that I am reconsidering my heretofore decision to stay off the track.

I've never smoked crack, but I think I have a pretty good idea what it's like as a result of these damn cars.
    dlearl476 likes this.
  19. norther

norther Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer:
    The wheels look good on your car. If anything - a paint job to a similar shade as the rest of the car would look great.
  20. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    928? Miura?