The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm good to gnaw on it while working with it then?
    yeroc40, KeithinSC and villageidiot like this.
  2. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headlights from a new Mini?
    ChairmanMaose likes this.
  3. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure. I would. :lol3
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. williecoyote

williecoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a pinch between your cheek and gum.
  5. k7

k7 Retired or retarded. You decide.

Oddometer:
    Apologies if this was already posted.

6. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    It has. And it promoted me to look for a 1/2 hr infomercial Porsche put out about the time of the release of the Boxster that had a few Porsche rally luminaries taking slightly modified Boxsters from Mesquite to Phoenix via the AZ strip (You know where I’m talking about, Gerry)

I, alas, have been thwarted so far.
  7. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Look who beeped at me today with its Maserati triple-tone air horn.
    DB55128D-234C-4C87-94A5-F3B4104D7A2A.jpeg

Don’t know it was “Hello” or “Lay off with the brown 911 shade!” :lol3

But I’ll tell you what, that blast is even more effective than the ‘57 Buick horn the 968 has.
    High Hope, villageidiot and waybill like this.
  8. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's something that sounds very similar on Audi:
    KeithinSC likes this.
  9. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Well, the pedals are mostly in. Had to throw in the towel 90% of the way there. Apparently, there’s no such thing as a male-to-male 10 mm x 1.0 adapter, which I need to mount a T-Fitting on my master cylinder, and nobody in town had a 10mm x 1.0 die to make one out of a brass pipe.

Ordered one and it will be here tomorrow.
    BFBE66E5-E2A4-41E2-922A-340B9B01E8AE.jpeg

The good news is that when I was mocking up the pedals, I was afraid the gas pedal would be too close to the brake pedal and I’d have to use the original VW pedal/roller. But once everything was bolted in place, it’s going to be fine. Won’t be able to drive it with army boots on, but that’s why I have 3 pair of Puma Speed Cats. :lol3
    waybill likes this.
  10. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming up for auction Porsche Type 64 #3 oldest surviving Porsche said to sell for 20 million!!! story on autoweek web
    dlearl476 likes this.
  11. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSC07294.JPG
    bokkom and dlearl476 like this.
  12. jhark44405

jhark44405 Beantown

Oddometer:
    Curtis C-46 aircraft in 1957 transport used by Delta Airlines.

delta.jpg
    mick, bokkom, MagyarMan and 3 others like this.
  13. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap! I didn't know I could check my car.
  14. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Squily, mick, spezjag and 5 others like this.
  15. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    I don’t know when it stopped, but GI’s serving in Europe regularly brought home European cars, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Think about it: the transports were only full one way.

According to a family friend who brought home a Speedster, you basically just added “1959 Porsche Speedster” to the bill of lading for your personal effects when you shipped out, and handed it to the load master.

I personally know if two Porsche’s, a Gullwing Mercedes, a Lotus Elan S3, and a Turner that came to the US this way. Apparently, the Army stopped doing it at some point. Probably in 68 when the DOT/EPA refs went into place.
  16. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met up with one of my Dads cousins last night while out of town on business. She was giving the tour and popped open the garage to reveal a Cayenne S and an early 2000s 911 Carrera. When presented with the opportunity to take it out, I had to.

For a basic 911, its spectacular. I don't even care that it has the blobby headlights, the thing is a dream to drive. Its so smooth and natural. The stiff clutch and kind of long throw shifter were like magic, the seats are perfect, I don't feel like im sitting on the ground in it like I do in most sports cars, nicely weighted steering, etc. Only 32k miles on the thing.

One thing I did notice is on startup it smokes a bit out the right pipe, and clears up right away. The left pipe was clean. Any thoughts? Further, the sensor for the engine cover on startup acts as if its open, but once you begin rolling it goes out? Thought that was an odd behavior, but its consistent and doesnt come on over bumps or etc on the highway.

First 911 experience for me. I want it. Its not even the good one. I still want it.
  17. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    :lol3

“I don't feel like im sitting on the ground in it like I do in most sports cars”

Feeling like you’re sitting on the ground is the quintessential part of a sports car experience. It shares that with a Kart.

IMO of course.

“One thing I did notice is on startup it smokes a bit out the right pipe, and clears up right away. The left pipe was clean. Any thoughts?”

They’re a horizontally opposed engine. If they sit for a bit oil can seep into the cylinders. Also, unless the valve cover gasket is perfect, a little oil can drip onto the heat exchanger/exhaust pipe (not sure about a 2,000<. My 78 did it so bad you’d think it was on fire after sitting for a couple of weeks.)

Both go away with regular usage. As my mechanic used to say when I mentioned it: “You’ve got two choices, a $10 qt of oil, or a $5,000 rebuild. You decide.”

PS: The smell of burning oil is also a quintessential part of the sports car experience. Along with race gas and burning rubber. Also IMO.
    slideways and k7 like this.
  18. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    What I've been trying to tell you guys : ) A low/mid mile 996 is a great driving car and corrects nearly every inadequacy air cooled cars had. They have nice feel, balance, shift better, handle better, and with 300hp go like stink, the headlights work just fine. DL is right about the smoke on startup, fairly common characteristic with a flat motor.
    dlearl476 likes this.
  19. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming up at auction. You may need to raid the piggy bank though...

1939_porsche_type_64_image_via_rm_sothebys_100700956_h1557789037.jpg
  20. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah, its a personal preference I guess. Most stuff I get into feels like I'm reaching for the pedals so badly I lack the feel of control, then when I do scoot the seat up the wheel is so in my face I have to put the seat back to a position I feel awkward in, so I've never had an affinity for them outside of a blast on a weekend or something. This could be different.

I figured it was something about sitting, but would have expected it from both, so I figured I'd ask the question. Sounds like her primary is the Cayenne S.

Are these cars victims of the IMS bearing jazz or is that isolated to turbos?