The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    why not use the built in ADVrider photo host? [upload pic or gps track]
  2. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    623F60F2-3061-4A14-A835-B53ACC0DC0B5.jpeg
    Uke, tjzondrz, dlrides and 4 others like this.
  3. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never noticed that upload tab either :)

013.JPG
  4. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well damn! How does that work?
  5. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Click the link, open up your camera roll on your phone/tablet.

image.png Select photos, hit "Done."

image.png

The Pics upload to the ADVrider server.

image.png

Select Full Image

image.png

Voila

image.jpeg
    SlowernOlder likes this.
  6. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Chris hit upload pic next to post reply, it’ll take you to your photos. Check which ones you want and click done. Wait for it to load then click full image.

D66A8082-F54E-414D-92F6-A220E3FBA4E4.jpeg

Edit, was hoping someone would beat me to it : )

Those are some cutie pies DL.

Attached Files:

SlowernOlder and dlearl476 like this.
  7. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    New photos of some old cars a buddy took years ago and sent me in an email yesterday, first time I’ve seen ‘em. The 908 and a 956 display car.

upload_2019-10-1_9-10-11.jpeg

upload_2019-10-1_9-14-29.jpeg

upload_2019-10-1_9-15-41.jpeg
    slideways, Uke, UngaWunga and 7 others like this.
  8. High Hope

Oddometer:
    BMW M3.JPG

Well that was easy Bill, thanks! I bought your car's twin, back when my son was 14. He wanted a four seater "for his Crew," automatic, and fun. I got a wild hair that I needed an M3 for a fun car. The perfect storm, I bought it for Jamie, drove it on and off for two years in good weather, then gave it to him on his 16th birthday. He never wrecked it, thankfully!
    waybill likes this.
  9. High Hope

Oddometer:
    Profile rainbow adj.jpg

No Photoshop, just a lucky early Sunday morning rolling along the PCH. I always liked this photo. The B was sweet, but man, the disc brakes and increased power of the C bested it in almost every regard. Except for color. Women swooned and thought it was just the cutest little thing they'd ever seen. It is Auradium Green, a one- or two-year only color in '58-ish. The PO had it resprayed, windows out.
    Uke, Squily, nbsdave and 7 others like this.
  10. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    ICYMI-In 2002 I was back in Denver doing production on the first Lion King tour at my old theater. My long time pal and co-worker thought his days were numbered as a street motorcyclist (I had a 99 Sprint St and he had a virtually identical VFR) He wanted me to help him find a 4 wheeled vehicle that had the same smile factor. After a bunch of dead ends and false alarms, we found a 79 SC that checked the boxes.

Fast forward 5 years and he moved to San Diego, so he figured he didn't need a nice "toy" for the summer twisties, he could DD such a car in SD. He settled on a 330i cabriolet, but none of the dealers in town would give him more than $10K on the SC as a trade in.

He called me one day and said, "If I'm going to give it away for $10K, I'm giving it to you.” I protested that I didn't have the money. He said he didn't care, come get the car, pay me what you can, when you can. This is the day I drove it home. Outside Julian descending into Apple Valley.
    image.jpeg
    Uke, Florida Lime, High Hope and 4 others like this.
  11. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Btw, in the interest of full disclosure. Moments before stopping to take this picture (and change my shorts) I’d experienced the dreaded Porsche off-throttle oversteer. Obviously, it was raining. Went into a rt hand hairpin a little too hot and started to slide.

Luckily, I was raised in the snow and having read enough R&T road tests I knew what to do.

A beautiful two-wheel drift ensued.
    fullmonte and High Hope like this.
  12. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good skills!!! You reminded me of the day I drove home from the tire center with two siliconed shinny new back tires. I was passing a bus letting off passengers on a downhill corner. "DON'T BACK OFF TH GAS, DON'T BACK OFF THE GAS."

It wouldn't have looked good if I'd crashed and it went to court.
    dlearl476 likes this.
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Many years ago, I did a Porsche Club track day at Moroso in WPB, Florida with my 2.5 liter 914/6. In my first session on the track, I had an instructor who never said a word while I was driving. Nothing at all. :scratch
    For my 2nd session, I pre-arranged for a instructor that was a class champion racing 911s (I don't remember his name). He was talking the whole time, and soon he had steering with the throttle only, through a couple of the tighter turns. As we approached a high speed S turn, he said "Never chop the throttle through here - someone died recently with a Ferrari doing that right here".

That's when the slow moving 911 up ahead of me hit the brakes. I didn't have much choice but to lift the throttle, or run into the back of the slow moving car. The 914/6 snapped around, but I caught it and got it settled down in time. :knary

That instructor had me bumped up two levels for the next session. :D
    dlearl476 and budsboy like this.
  14. rwgrif

rwgrif Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been on ADVrider for a couple of years but never looked at the "Shiny Things" section. Lo and behold, I find this thread. 35 year Porsche fan and here's the current stable.
    RWG Cup VIR2-2.jpg

DSCF2936_7_8_tonemapped 2.jpg
  15. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Did a cursory test 1’x1’ from the tip. Only -1db at idle but on the cam the note is much warmer and more pleasant. Couldn’t be in two places at once but it seemed 2-3db quieter, too. I imagine it will be more so when I add the baffle. 593CB3D6-EC28-4A9B-88F5-8F378DCBEC57.jpeg B25936AD-9BE4-4F61-AF0D-0675B2701DCA.jpeg
    I think I hit on a solution for quick R&R:* Anyone know a good source for weld on tabs/springs? The only ones I found online were either 3” long or titanium. I’ll talk to the welder, but I’m thinking welding ti to mild steel will be problematic. (I may just have to make some.)

*I have to remove the tip to clear the clamshell when I open it.

ETA: Shit, I just realized I can weld a couple of washers on either side. Done.
    leavundst, Uke, High Hope and 3 others like this.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Www.coneengineering.com
  17. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    I only needed to put my thinking cap one for a minute. My son the MC mechanic has a drawer full of springs. I’ll just weld a couple of steel washers on each side to hook them into.

But thx for the link. I wish they had 1.5” baffle cores. Gonna call and ask.

Attached Files:

18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.coneeng.com/

Whoops bad link. My bad
  19. High Hope

Oddometer:
    @rwgrif, you’ll fit in just fine. Beautiful cars both, 99% of us are in awe. The other 1%, well, let’s just say you’ll still fit in. :lol3

@dlearl476 , that stinger is fantastic! “Equipment for sports purposes, ya?”
    rwgrif, waybill and dlearl476 like this.
  20. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer: