The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Race cars didn't have air filters at least in those days. No my 910 didn't have the orig fuel injection it had carbs. The 908 did though, they were pretty similar looking, will see if I can find a photo later.
  2. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    Don't change the bolt.... or modify critical dimensions. No one to prove it is proper to but me!
    dlearl476 likes this.
  3. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don’t think it was a filter, but they had some sort of contraption that sat down on those square bits on the velocity stacks. An air box maybe? Maybe ducting through the body?

34FF531F-512F-499E-BD50-E66DD40E6A14.jpeg 0A9DCFF8-E466-483A-908E-8941F3E7D8C1.jpeg

And I remember some Porsche engine that used the same stacks, minus the flanges, with the fuel injectors and the clear plastic lines.
  4. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Thanks, SST. It’s comforting to know my fastener OCD hasn’t hit rock bottom yet. :lol3
  5. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride today. I saw this at the station where I get my Ethanol Free gas for the Monster. (The guy who owns the station races Hydroplanes)

1652B1A6-5AA1-49D5-8256-ED17C3A8D848.jpeg

$49.99. Might have to get a can for the 968 for its birthday. It’s the only car I’ve ever noticed a performance boost with real high test. I mix 100 octane with 91/93 premium 50/50 and the knock sensors take the day off!
  6. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    So I finally got it to upload. Ran it though iMovie and saved it as a .mov. Have a feeling the issue was whatever format the phone uses (although I've uploaded shorter videos straight from the camera app)

While I was in iMovie, I ran their stabilization processor on it, too. It helped a bit.

Chris, check out the sound in the first bit vs the sound noise in the last 10-15 seconds (without the windscreen in place). It helped a lot, but it's still got a ways to go. If the video were better, I'd be tempted to throw the soundtrack into one of my digital audio apps and clean it up, but it's not really worth it. Next step: figure out another camera mount to get rid of the reflection of the windshield. (Hey, maybe I'll just lose the friggin windshield! Next winter, fer shure).

PS: I wasn't really driving that slow. :lol3 I'm guessing the processing slows the video down 3-5%. That was 35-45 mph.

PSS: @AceE that bit at the end was me coming down the other side of the canyon (North Fork, where Sundance Resort is.) Sorry for the crappy video, but the rock outcropping that did my buddy's bug in was on the left at the very end, right when the Yukon approaches. :cry
    High Hope likes this.
  7. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    I didn't think this one worked, but it was in the bin when I uploaded the phone to iMovie. This was the day Rich and I took our cars up for a little ride. I was using my stereo mic that day, and apparently I turned it down too low (it kept clipping) but you can hear the GTS roar a couple of times after he gets in front of me.

Can't wait for Santa to bring me a GoPro and, hopefully, all these audio/video problems will be behind me.
    High Hope likes this.
  8. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh girl you shine, I’m looking at you from behind:

241BE568-7D35-4F87-A307-787E5DEE43B7.jpeg
    racer187x, Uke, slideways and 3 others like this.
  9. dlearl476

Oddometer:
  10. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    them 968 were supposed to replace the 911 as the high end car but ended up in parallel above the 924 and basically a 944 s3?
  11. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    No. It’s more complicated than that. The 928 was intended to replace the 911.

The 968 was a stop-gap measure because the Boxster took longer to get into production than anticipated. Meanwhile, the contract with Audi to manufacture the 924/944 ran out so Porsche brought production back in house, with a slight facelift and redesigned motor. (Variocam 3.0L)

Interesting trivia: Porsche made 5 (?) Boxster test mules with 968 bodies/mid-engined drivetrains so they could road test in peace. I’d love to see one, but apparently they were all crushed. AFAIK, not even a picture remains.
    waybill likes this.
  12. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    You might as well get the 54 gallon can of this, and give the knock sensors the month off ! :D

[​IMG]
    $670. :nod
  13. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    I have an addictive personality. If I had 55 gals, I’d run it straight all the time. Until my money ran out. Just like the old days. :lol3

5 gal is a perfect compromise. Last time I was in Vegas, I stopped at my old Rebel station that sells racing gas. $94 to fill it up. $50/100 Oct $44/Premium.

The Wills station here has the Sunoco 110, too. I didn’t enquire as to the price. :deal
  14. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    I'm no longer a student of 356 values but found this interesting because there weren't many with sunroofs. And it still has the original interior (including carpet) with the possible exception of the front seats being re-upholstered but even they look original from the photos. Patina that's hard to come by these days, has a Nardi (or LL) with a horn ring too..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/d/edgewater-1964-porsche-356c/6993843388.html
  15. Nico

Nico The Sexiest of Silverbacks.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great starting point for a restoration but man, oh man, all those parts disassembled just makes me anxious. Picking up where two owners ago left off, juat a recipe for frustration and missing parts - parts you don't know are missing until you need them.

That said, this is an even better resto candidate for Mr. @Solaros1 than that orange example a couple weeks ago . :lol3
    waybill likes this.
  16. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Was thinking the same thing, but yeah : )

[​IMG]
    Uke and Nico like this.
  17. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190404_161337629.jpg

That doesn't look too bad but no pictures of the underside. That's a Normal engine, 75 HP judging by the Zenith carbs. I'm in the middle of the restoration of my old Land Rover.
    tjzondrz likes this.
  18. Nico

Nico The Sexiest of Silverbacks.

Oddometer:
    Coming along nicely. From the looks of it, you'll need something to play with by this time next year. :wink wink
  19. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already got that covered - although with the rate of progress I'm making on this 1967 Series IIA 88" its looking like it might take me a little longer than a year because after restoring a couple of Porsches you tend to completely overdo a normal vehicle.

It should look like this when its done - but shinier and better with disc front brakes, a balanced and blueprinted motor, electronic distributor, parabolic springs and much better tires. This is the same truck back in 1976 - I bought it in 1973, sold it in 1978 and tracked it down and bought it back around 1994. It had been through at least 4 - 5 owners in the years between my ownership. I took it apart right after I got it back and its been waiting its turn since then. Every guy has the one car or truck they wish they had never sold - I was lucky enough to get mine back - so I've got to do this one absolutely right.

[​IMG]

And then there is the 1972 OSSA 250 Pioneer that's been in pieces in my basement for thirty years...

Next Project - 1966 109" diesel Series IIA station wagon that I've owned since 1978. Its got over 400,000 miles on it. All of that along with a number of planned upgrades to the Defender 90 Tdi.

Porsches and Land Rovers - the two ends of the automotive spectrum - with an occasional helping of BMW (2002's or E30's) will cover almost anything you need to do with four wheels.

IMG_20190425_141023836.jpg
    Nico, ADVer, dlearl476 and 3 others like this.
  20. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    @waybill That’s a nice 356 assuming the bottom is ok. IDK about pricing it, I haven’t followed project car prices. It might be a bit high: a really nice C is probably worth $65-80. The sunroof on this car adds a lot, so maybe $85-90 tops for a Normal coupe.

@Solaros1 , I was musing about the two ends of the spectrum as I read thru your post. I’d say you’re spot-on, and won’t ever need anything else. :D