The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
  2. pirahna

pirahna Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had our original 996tt windshield replaced with OEM a few months ago, it was about $1200 with OEM glass. Four days later we were driving to lunch and a dump truck crossed over the double yellow line to avoid a bicyclist and threw a huge rock up right into our windshield. We now have a nice star in the corner of our new windshield but it hasn't turned into a real crack yet. :becca
    dlearl476 likes this.
  3. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Waybill, that looks like a good car. Prices have been so wacky lately that I’d hesitate to venture a guess, but I’m thinking mid-$60s. People think it’s still 2014 out there. :lol3
  4. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    CL is a strange place to sell a 930 Turbo. Unusual cars and bikes in CL at below-market pricing always triggers my scam radar.
  5. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    It does appear nice, if I were in the market for one I'd check it out but haven't called to see if it's legit. Think I've had five of them over the years, if you haven't driven one they're a hoot, years ago I drove one from S. Jax to Atlanta in 4 1/2 hours (girlfriend loved it : ) Not bad around town either, long gearing and you can lug it w/the low compression off boost. Two distinct personalities, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide. Handle great (takes a little practice to be proficient), good for long distance, and flattens mountains with ease : )
  6. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    My first thought too but that one is almost in the realm of possibility although 930 values are admittedly all over the map.

Craigslist is a crapshoot buying or selling, when I put my '77 930 on there a couple years ago just for the heck of it I had four calls in an hour, dealers in LA, Miami, SF, and Chicago. Also had a guy call and tell me I was an idiot for asking that much for it. :D Sold it after a couple weeks to a nice broker lady in NJ that sent it to Poland.
    dlearl476 likes this.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I've had wraps on a MiniCooper and it was ok. Did go with the nano-ceramic and did an experiment with Bmw GS motorcycle and am most impressed with the shine. Video all over the internet that looked like a whole lot of work....ended up not hard at all...It looks like the ceramic polish will work best on original paint, 360+ microfiber is important. Some video's on the internet are very helpful.
  8. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks very helpful.....some great advice on the various videos out there...….condition of paint is the critical starting point. Very impressed with final results....beads water like nothing I've ever seen.
  9. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    I had excellent results.
    1) Detail foam wash with Dawn ($2.00)
    2) wipe paint down with Rustoleum Wax and Tar Remover ($3.00)
    3) Wipe Rustoleum off with microfiber rag soaked in Isop Alcohol to remove all old wax and oils on paint
    4) buff
    4) apply Nano-ceramic
    5) Polish

Cayman is so small it can be done in 2 - 3 hours.
    Supposedly lasts 3 to 5 yrs.
    Most nano-ceramic coats are made in S Korea where it was invented. So AliExpress is hard to beat, about 1/4 the price of US suppliers. $95 for US version, verses $20 for AliExpress...saw zero difference in results.
    dlearl476 and slideways like this.
  10. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Porsche 908

[​IMG]
    spezjag, tjzondrz, DogBoy and 4 others like this.
  11. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to 3” of ground clearance, and 2” of suspension travel, I think I’ve done that unintentionally a couple of times in the Beck. :lol3
    waybill likes this.
  12. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Just amazing...P's are a better investment than just about anything. Had a very pristine 1986 Turbo, black, 1K audio system...was stolen in 1998, got on Autotrader and printed 30 ads and met with my insurance company to negotiate a settlement on insurance claim. Took a high average and settled for $29,000.
  13. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill. Just saw Ford vs Ferrari* and wanted he check something for accuracy: When you’re running 200mph side by side on the Daytona banking, you pretty much ALWAYS look over to throw your competitor some stink-eye, amirite? :rofl

*On the whole, a great movie. On a scale of Taledega Nights Days of Thunder to GrandPrix/LeMans, it’s 7/8 of the way to the good.

But in true Hollywood fashion, I think they took some liberties with the finish for dramatic effect. IIRC, Ken was a lap down to Chris due to that brake change.

ETA: I’m guessing there were a lot of Becks and Kirkhams used in the making of this movie. Lots of great vintage racers, too. I can’t wait for a dvd to see the “extras”. I want to know how much was real and how much was CGI. A lot of the “action” looked very video-gamey, but that may just be due to watching a digital version of the “print.” I’m going to see it on imax next week, but couldn’t pass up a $5 matinee.
  14. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    And one more FWIW, I had a substitute teacher in 4 or 5 grade whose husband raced Cobras in SoCal SCCA with Ken Miles. Alas, he sold it and hung up his helmet and goggles when she got pregnant with their first kid.
  15. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Not sure, I've only been around 190 at Daytona : )

Uhh, not normally.. Actually something bizarre happened in a historic race at Atlanta once but I think it went back to something a decade earlier. Early 80's first vintage race at Road Atlanta I was driving my RSR with a less powerful backup engine (co-driver blew up the 3 Liter at Sebring, bastard). Brian Redman was just starting to vintage race too and had a '68 Chevron B8 (906, 910 competitor). We eventually pulled away from the rest of the field with Brian leading. I could keep him within a couple hundred yards but on the next to last lap he slowed and pulled left just before the bridge so I passed and he tucked in behind as we came over the hill. The crowd went crazy. Of course he passed me back the next lap just before the checker and everyone went crazy again, the promoters thought it was the best race they'd ever seen and invited Brian and I to have dinner at one of their homes in town. It took me awhile to figure out Brian had staged the whole thing to give everyone a good show..

Fast forward 10 years again at RA, Brian is driving a Lola T70 and I'm in my 910, and again after a few laps we clear the rest of the field with him in front. On one of the last laps he slows coming over turn 9, I don't and we end up side by side at the bottom of the dip (there's really just one line). For some stupid reason I glanced over at him (probably 140mph) and he's looking back with a shit eating grin, son of a bitch he did it again. :D
    fullmonte, SeeRace, k7 and 4 others like this.
  16. dlearl476

Oddometer:

I gotta get his book. As I’ve mentioned before, last time I went to Sebring he was having a book signing in the BMW heritage tent, alongside his 3.0CSL and the V12LM that had won Sebring the first time I went, in 1999. He’s always seemed like a great guy, but the line was too long to wait to tell him I loved him.

Back to the movie:
    In a former life I worked on the scenic crew for a couple of movies. To glaring things stuck out for me:
    1) The movie is circa 1966. Ken’s son Pete is shown in several scenes in his bedroom. He has a box of a scale model of a Lola T70 on his shelf. That’s dunking isn’t it? Isn’t a T70 more of a 917/512 era?
    2) There’s a scene that takes place at the Ford launch of the Mustang. Iirc, the hardtop a Ford exec tells Peter to keep his hands off is a 65 with the chrome scallops in the flank, not a plain-side 64 1/2???
    High Hope and waybill like this.
  17. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about early Mustangs but I'm pretty sure the Lola T70 was around for the movie timeline, about 1966. It was probably still running against 917's and 512's because it was a really good race car. And may have been the chassis the GT40 was built off of, I think Eric Broadley had a hand in that whole deal.

Just saw it tonight, really liked it, so did Molly and she knows movies. Yes there was some fakie stuff particularly the in-car shots, shifting, pedals, etc. but I just put it in perspective of the 60's and it seemed fine. They could've mounted Go-Pros everywhere and made it look modern but I think as a whole it really felt like the 60's.

Couple other observations, race tires don't squeal and they sure as hell don't in the rain but I guess directors think it adds effect or something. The shots of Daytona Speedway looked fairly realistic at first because of the grandstands and pit lane but the buildings in the infield were wrong, the banking wasn't as steep, and the entry and exit from the infield course looked different so I'm guessing they filmed at Ontario Motor Speedway (Calif.) and made it look as close as possible. Plus there were perfectly spaced palm trees around the outside of the track and Daytona doesn't have those that I remember.

There was also stuff they got right that some people wouldn't notice like when a crew member was changing the right front tire/wheel, he was hammering the wheel nut in the wrong direction which is actually correct, a car with centerlocks has opposite threads on the right side of the car. They got the various car sounds pretty close too, when the 427 first cranked it was booming and much deeper. I really liked the crew chief Phil Remington, he let loose some gems that hit the nail on the head. All in all I thought it was great, one of the better car/racing movies I can remember.
    dlearl476 and High Hope like this.
  18. Budman

Budman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the windshield replaced on the Boxter S. The fellow who did it suggested that I replace the windshield cowl. He said it would not be too difficult. So I called Suncoast and ordered the cowl and the mud flaps for the rear. The cowl wasnt too bad to replace. Getting it off was a booger but putting the new one on was much more simple.
    Now the mud flaps were a different story. You cant do that stuff without it being on a lift. I called my mechanic and he will install them tomorrow. There just isnt any room underneath that thing!
    waybill likes this.
  19. SKT

SKT Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Every time I'd glance in the rearview I'd think jeez that looks a lot like a 908 or 910 back there..

[​IMG]

then I'd wake up : )

[​IMG]

it needs a little work, hopefully won't be too bad..

[​IMG]
    jimmex, slideways, norther and 4 others like this.