The Question of BMW's Key Policy

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Effendi, Jun 18, 2019.

1. monolithic

monolithic Adventurer

Oddometer:

For those to young to know the kinks, it’s a reference to paranoia.
    CaliDefector and PaulBarton like this.
  2. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You let them make the copy for the purposes of the test drive/ride and then once done you retrieve the copy.

Again, it amazes me how free and easy stupid people are with their personal data. When I am around and about on trash day I see boxes with address labels still stuck on them and invoices still in the sticky on plastic pouch thingy stuck on the box.

I have a shredder in my home office that cost me around $60. Every envelope and piece of paper with any family members name and address on it along with bank / credit card statements are shredded.
    LAFS likes this.
  3. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with official agency's gathering information. Where it does go wrong is when corporates get hold of it and then it get's lost, stolen, or abused. And, that obviously does happen because if it didn't there would be no data related crime would there?

If I wanted the lawsuits I could name a few large corporates where employees had access to data and misused the data for financial gain. Basically using customer account data to make purchases and sell the stuff on via ebay or do several small transactions in, for example a gas station, or corner store. One very enterprising pair made just over a $million - and are now on a State sponsored vacation. But, it is so easy to isolate fraudulent activities to the source once the activity is picked up. The problem is people picking up the $2 and $5 charges on their accounts if they even bother to read their credit card statements.
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look, I’m am not against data privacy. I agree it’s important. I find your ‘trust’ in government to be rather childish as they’re some of the most data abusive of all within these borders, acting with total impunity as to what and how they collect it.

My comment is more about that horse having left the barn long ago. Our ‘government’ (Congress) could give a rats ass about data privacy. They don’t care because they are PAID not to care. DC is lined with lobbyists doling out corporate money to pols. We have the best government money can buy — only you and I can’t afford it.

Until some event of massive scale severely affects data privacy (like maybe the leadership in Congress see their own accounts looted all at one time), not much will be done here. Meanwhile states will sell your data, firms will aggregate it, companies will build profiles on you solely on what you ‘like’ that are more accurate than anyone might dream about, etc etc.

Martin Armstrong made the accurate commentary (paraphrased) that politicians don’t get re-elected for being proactive and keeping bad things from happening. It’s hard to take credit for doing your job. Instead they wait for a crisis to grab headlines in the ‘news cycle’ to promise to get the dirty scoundrels who did whatever. And rarely do they do that, but they get their attention nonetheless.

While it’s good you stand up for your principles, and I actually don’t disagree with them at all, when the government you ‘trust’ won’t join you it ensures that no actions will be taken in agreement with your stance.

So yes, despite your beliefs your data is, and has long been, “in the wind”. Do I agree it should be? Nope. But neither you nor I can “fight City Hall”.

EDIT: I want to add something here. Yesterday I got an email ping from “LinkedIn” asking me if I ‘know’ a person I had exchanged a few emails with in the past. As I’m already aware that having the LinkedIn app on my phone (as well as the evil Facebook — don’t get me started on a Google) will harvest my contacts, it’s never graced my phone. Nor do I use LinkedIn other that to have an entry should others be looking for me. So, how did LinkedIn know to ask me this? Could be they have some tracker in my phone I don’t know about. More likely the other person uses their app so I got ‘harvested’ there.

Recently I found out Google, by my having a throw-away email account (used only when sites require an email) was ‘harvesting’ my eBay purchases. Now there’s not much ‘personal’ stuff there — business & moto books, used tennis balls for my dog, moto parts, musical instrument stuff, etc. Yet google found it of value to track and keep an independent file of everything I have purchased on eBay. And they purposely make that data very hard to delete.

Amazon gets a lot of my business but there’s nothing there I’d care if anyone ever saw. I like Kind Bars, but various auto/moto and music/dvd/book items. BUT.. no Amazon audio device will ever grace my home. I listened to all the ‘recordings’ of my wife & I talking to the TV to request shows or movies. All one-word deals. All deleted.

A recent article in WaPo detailed how many apps use ‘trackers’ on an iPhone even after Apple tells us they try to keep our privacy private. Of course Android with its ties to Google is far far worse.

Facebook is pretty much evil incarnate, selling your data to anyone and everyone.

I’m not even sure what Verizon or AT&T retains and sells.

Sure, we can “wish” for data privacy, but these companies own ‘government’. In today’s digital age it’s hard to avoid them. Even without a Facebook account it’s known their trackers on sites all over the net build profiles on you.

Ever go to one of those ‘spy on your neighbors’ sites? If you hit a few of them and put in your own name (I have) you can find decades of data free about your age, phone numbers, past residences, spouse, children, etc. and each site will offer some different snippets for ‘free’.

There is NO data privacy in this country.

deadflagblues, Effendi, LAFS and 2 others like this.
  5. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are a addressing kind of guy for sure.

Like I said your trash man has more of your information then your drivers license or your registration.

Hell, Google yourself.

The horse left the barn many years ago. You have signed up for something. Put your e-mail somewhere, your address on a entry form you been had already if someone wanted you..

We shred everything with a name or information on it.
    CaliDefector and Effendi like this.
  6. Motorius

Oddometer:
    I go one better than shredding. I keep a PO Box (have for decades) to prevent mailbox theft (had that happen 2x that I know of), and eliminate as much paper statements as possible. Those that need to get tossed get shredded or burned. Not like it matters.
    LAFS and CaliDefector like this.
  7. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do, regularly. Nothing, nowt, nada, nix. Makes me very happy.

I pootle around on a couple of forums, thats it. No faceplate, no twatter, no linkyedin, no instagram, no App's. I'll make chit chat on this and another forum when I am between things but, other than that I talk to people on the phone, or face to face.

I know several people with similar backgrounds to mine who got all excited about linkyedin a few years ago and if you look at our profiles now you will see they have been cut back to name only. We all know each other, or know someone who knows someone so we telephone and/or email. Every time I attend a defence equipemnt exhibition and meet people I am inundated with company rep's trying to connect with me over my empty linkyedin account.
    LAFS likes this.
  8. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the best Govt that money can buy, I've met some congressmen and a couple of retired senators all holding their hands out for money. However, the Global data Protection Regulation is coming to the US and they will need to comply, or just like banking experienced after 2008 the rest of the world will tell America to go swivel.

The nature of govt data management, or rather lack of data management, comes from the unwillingness of agency's to share anything, and the empire building attitude of civil servants.

Maybe @Motorius one day we can chat about what I used to do for a living over a cup of coffee during a ride.

I do not have app's of any description on my phone, much to the annoyance of a few people. I can point you at a little something put together by a former member of the NSA technical staff which will help anyone who does not want their present collection of App's sharing information from their phone with 52 'corporates' including some based in China and Russia. The App is notionally free and ask's for a donation of what you think it is worth to you: ===> https://disconnect.me/index.html#pwyw
  9. Motorius

Oddometer:
    Hah! That app is ‘not currently available in your store or region’.

But of course!

We can only hope what you say is coming will come, but I won’t hold my breath.

10. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I share the OP's concerns about protecting his privacy, the sad reality is that we really have very little of it anymore... much of it due to our own willingness to give it away.

It used to be that we treasured our privacy, and had a fear of "big brother" knowing our personal habits & details. Yet today we freely give it away in so many ways. We had a fear of them watching us with cameras, prying into our daily lives... and now we actually PAY to buy devices which bring them right into our homes.

- Wanna chance at winning a free motorcycle? Here, give us your name, address, SSN, telephone number... oh, and fill out this brief survey for "marketing purposes". Tell us about where you shop, what you buy, how many people in your household, how old are you, how many kids, etc, etc, etc.

- Wanna get cash back for everything you buy online? Here, sign up on our site , register the websites your shop at for things everyday, and we'll automatically send you rebates on those purchases. Signing up is easy, just give us all your personal details... (so we can then sell that info & your buying habits to others, so they'll also know all about you, and market to you accordingly).

- Interested in your family tree? Just ask us for our kit, spit on this little stick to give us a DNA sample, and we'll know ALL about you. Oh, and dont read that small print that says we may actually sell this info to companies who may also be interested in this info, or provide it to law enforcement if necessary.

- Wanna make things more convenient around the house? Wanna feel like you're in an episode of Star Trek, and all you have to do is ask your computer for information? Just turn on Siri on your Apple devices... or purchase Google Assistant or "Alexa". We'll listen to every single thing you say & do, and store that info for future use.​

I have to admit that I laughed my ass off when I read the news story a few months ago about the guy who got convicted of murder... and the star witness at the trial was his Amazon "Alexa" device that recorded the entire event, and was played in court.

Oh well, your mileage may vary...
  11. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer on the App. I just had a look and it is available to me. Sadly, having now revisited the site they must have raised their market awareness as they are now charging an annual fee rather than free'ish.

I take mine black.

GDPR is coming, the big boy's with international footprints are already preparing for it. But, for many it is already too late, the upside being for the younger citizen with no footprint it will be useful.
  12. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Love the BMW CEO’s surname.....poor bastard...:lol3
    Effendi likes this.
  13. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    At our dealership, photo ID and registration or no key fob for you. Held on file for 5 years per BMW instructions.
    monolithic likes this.
  14. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Equifax=ADP=TurboTax=TheWorkNumber

Lets see- They know how much you get paid, when you get paid, how much I pay in taxes, how many deductions I have, my charitable donations, my other income sources, how much you owe and how good you are paying your bills. All of those companies share info... My employer gives away my privacy by using the "workplace number" for employment verification. I don't need to enter my W2 info into turbotax, it auto populates from ADP.. I have zero choice in how my employer shares my personal information.

Its pointless to worry about it...
    LAFS, scottdc and Gezerbike like this.
  15. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    You should ride more and worry less :1drink
    Gezerbike likes this.
  16. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well just came back from the dealer without ordering a fob. Why you may ask? 365.00 is why! I asked him if he was serious.

So I ordered another plastic key since I do have one fob.

Had to make copies of my registration and license. They keep them for 5 years.

You know that is totally ridiculous for a key fob from anyone!
  17. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    FOB for my VW was $ 284
  18. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basic "supply & demand" theory. They have all the supply, with no competitors... and we have the demand. As such, they can charge whatever they want.
  19. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are crazy expensive for some reason. I can't imagine fobs cost that much for cars... or maybe they do?

I got 1 fob with my new '15 GSA and 1 plastic key. The fob seems super flimsy so I wanted a solid key, like the non keyless bikes have. After getting info from this site I gave my dealer the product number, they said ok and would mail me the key when it was ready. Gave them my visa# to pay for it when it was ready. To my surprised I get a new fob and a invoice for $300 (give or take, but around that mark) and not the $15 simple key I wanted for panniers and Nav lock. Found out that BMW Canada will not sell a key for a keyless bike, only the fob. They gave me the fob for half price because of their mistake, I took it knowing I would never get another fob for that price. I like BMW and understand it is a premium product, but still it does not feel right when they charge a premium for something that is not a premium product, just a regular fob and key.
    LAFS likes this.
  20. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes as said supply and demand.

It is just insane cost wise! 365 bucks for a fob is crazy.

I bought the bike with 2 key fobs and a plastic key. I then bought a steel key to use on the GPS and bags to save the fob. So I have a fob, a steel key, and the plastic key. I did order a new plastic key for 67 bucks. I just will never take the chance I dont have a spare electronic key at home to be run or sent to me when and if I need it.