The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool trip up to Rt6 Pa on the Quota with my buddy on his GS. Great time but I just test road a V85. My Quota is like a TR6 and the V85 is like a 911. IMG_7656[1].JPG
  2. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like TR6's! Just bought a Quota last weekend!!

I have a V7iii Racer and a Griso and wanted a somewhat older Guzzi to ride around on. Been thinking about a Quota on/off the last year or so ... infrequently shopping for one ... then a couple of good ones popped up.

Cadre Cycle's in Ohio has an awesome one ... 7K miles, Enzo has been thru it and it is well sorted ... and then a CA one about 5 hours away from me. I check out the CA one and bought it.

It has a 19" front wheel, rear has been redone, Mistral cross pipe, fueling is perfect, very clean, 20K miles.

After a 250 mile day it started leaking some oil, gotta sort that out. It is engine oil and either from the sump gasket or weep hole, need to spend some time on that. Also need to check the breather/rust possible setup/issue ... not sure if a previous owner has taken care of that or not.

p1.jpg

IMG_20190807_193939788.jpg
  3. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your wheels are already sorted, it looks good with the 19" front. OK, now I want to ride yours and compare! I'm still not entirely happy with my fueling and would love to feel how it handles with the smaller front wheel.

The Mistral pipe makes it a lot easier to service the gearbox. I wish they had made a nice round bend where it connects to the muffler though, mine has that same ugly welded joint right there and it drives me nuts.
  4. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    yes maybe. Should of went with a 19 front. if my pipe cracks, Im going to a speed shop , there are plenty for dirt track cars here, just have them build a pipe. nice bike BTW !
  5. asquaredgray

asquaredgray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    50838450-1D61-4404-992D-F1E5D2BFF4A5.jpeg CF304915-4C4F-4522-8866-DDDA2BD2F7A6.jpeg 9E74070F-A3F5-4B66-9C49-EA30A686C1FB.jpeg D0D6CF34-F21C-486C-98A0-847C4D0D9B90.jpeg Putting her through her paces recently on the road to Badger Lake in the Mt. Hood Natl Forest. I’m so pleased with the way she handles off highway, even in baby head rocks. Running Avon Trekriders.
  6. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    Wow, great pics! I should go get mine dirty. :-)

I checked my tires date codes ... rear is from 2005, front from 2008 :eek7 :eekers

Ok, just ordered 2 new tires. I went with Avon Trailriders ... which sounds all offroad-ie, but they are a 90% road 10% dirt tire. My plan/thinking is the only dirt will be a dirt road to a camping site. I bought it for the comfortable riding position and to handle the very crappy beat up roads we have in CA.

On the fueling, my first tank was 34 mpg, each tank afterwards has been 38-40 mpg. I learned to not rev the crap out of it after that first ride/day. Seems to run great, smells a bit gas heavy when first starting or riding around slow (like in a congested parking lot to Starbucks), and unfortunately I have no idea how it is set up. I know it does not have a powercommander on it. But not sure of ECU version # or what map is loaded.

Ok, new tires coming. Will look into oil leak. Will look into breather venting thing.

Oh, ~6th ride my speedo stopped working. I then learned all about the bizzaro 90 degree bend speedo cable thingie. Don't understand why they did that, but I got it sorted out and a ziptie in place so it hopefully doesn't just fall apart again.

This thread is an awesome source of info! In my shopping mode I spent way too much time reading through this. :-)
    asquaredgray likes this.
  7. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Dude you need to swing by my place in Sacramento and we'll pull the map out and check out your settings. I am saying this for purely selfish reasons. :)
  8. asquaredgray

asquaredgray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I just went through the “tracking down that darned oil leak” exercise. I had two leaks: the cam position sensor and the front crank seal. Since I got those settled it’s been dry. Next is the large seal on the rear drive. It’s letting a little gear oil past, which dirties up the right side of the real wheel.
    Kt-88 likes this.
  9. asquaredgray

asquaredgray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While everyone is here, has anyone done a custom skid plate / bash guard or know of a source to get one made?
  10. NYTrainer

NYTrainer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine blows some oil through the breather.
    I have thought about changing to the 19" front wheel, as I would like a lower seat height & I am never going anywhere the 21" is needed. Does anyone know if there is another Guzzi model that I could swap front wheels without too much trouble?
  11. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    I've used the reader/writer for my V7III Racer and Griso ... what reader to I need to pull the map? What connector is needed for the Q? Is it the Fiat flat plug (like on the Racer)?
  12. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    OK, trying to wrap my head around this "rust in frame" breather setup that dumps rust in our engines.

So I checked out some parts diagrams ... looks like the 1100 Cali Classic Touring and EV have a very similar "connect the breathers to the frame" design. I wonder if those dump rust in too?
    Then looked at 1200 Sport and Breva 1100 diagrams ... ahh, they have a collector box (that is no longer available).
    Then looked at the Griso's ... they have a "Housing" that AF1 calls a "Blow By Expansion Box" for $68.

Here is a pic of ours ... red circles are where hoses attach to frame, blue circle is hose that hangs down to ground:
    Quota Breather 2.JPG

Oh, wait, they aren't showing a hose here, right? They only show 1 cylinder head hose #34 and it is really two?
    So if I get some sort of "Blow By Expansion Box" (BBEB) that has the ability to connect 4 hoses, will that be OK? Or is the crankcase hose blowing/sucking air and things will get all weird with all 4 of these plugged into a relatively small BBEB?

So a BBEB would have a hose from right cylinder head, hose from left cylinder head, hose from crankcase, and hose to airbox ... find BBEB, hook it up, all good??

Here is a copper one from earlier in this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-quota-thread.215106/page-53#post-35497427 Does this work fine?

Here is an article from thisoldtractor: http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_quota_rust_in_the_oil.html
  13. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    Ok, duh, found you post with all the info: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-quota-thread.215106/page-46#post-34218994

Might be the weekend before I can connect this up and read the map.
  14. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    Would this work as a BBEB? aka "oil catch can"

catcan1.JPG

catcan2.JPG

Run the 2 hoses from the valve covers to one of the "In" ports, run the crankcase hose to the other "In" port, run the out port to the airbox. Use the drain valve to occasional drain junk out.

Would this work??
  15. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Negative. The crankcase hose is much larger than the others.

Next time I have my tank off, I'm going to hook the stock breather tank back up and just plumb both of its drains a simple catch can. I've found that these very small breather cans, small enough to fit under the tank, don't provide adequate air-oil separation.
  16. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is one that I have. Produced by Happy Trails. One made. Their luggage racks and engine guards worked well, but this decreased the ground clearance and made for some weird vibrations.
  17. asquaredgray

asquaredgray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That looks really overwrought and bulky. I’m hoping to find / produce something more like the aluminum skid plate Touratech sells for GSs. https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Aluminum-Skid-Plate-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2006-2013-Oil-Cooled .
    Kt-88 likes this.
  18. ClintToris

ClintToris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody!

I'm about go pick up a red 2000 quota 1100es today. I was reading this thread in preparation and noticed that some people have swapped the quota 1000s headlight fairing over to the 1100.

I really like the looks of this but I can't seem to find anywhere to get a 1000 headlight fairing after a couple googles. Does anyone make these still? Do any of you have one for sale?

Am I stuck refreshing ebay endlessly until one pops up?

I'll make sure to post some pictures of the quota when I get her back home!

Cheers
  19. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
  20. HighwayChile

Oddometer: