The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    the speedo is the only breakdown I've had with more since new, it made it a year.... ;-)
  2. gscott

gscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    I converted my NA Quota to the European headlight. I needed the fairing frame, dual headlight fairing, and twin headlight unit, and had to modify the wiring. I also installed ADVMonster H4 LED bulbs. The light output is excellent now.

You are going to have a hard time finding those parts. I may have found the last of the fairings and frames. I believe the lights are available. Try Teo Lamers MG in Netherlands and Stein-Dinse in Germany, I think. I bought the headlight fairing from TL via eBay and the rest of the stuff from the Stein-Dinse webshop. They have a good microfiche for the Quota.

Photos of my bike here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38874353@N05/sets/72157662249186522/with/23760989745/
  4. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    im sure many will fit, mine was off a Suzuki ala Greg Benders book
  5. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    What pegs are those you replaced with? they look great
  6. asquaredgray

asquaredgray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the look of the two light setup, too, but ultimately decided it was too much hassle to retrofit the Yamaha two light unit, and too expensive to purchase the euro unit that is made to fit. I went with the unit that comes off the MZ Skorpion (as well as several other bikes). It's a direct fit (just a wiring change). I'm quite happy with it. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. Here's one now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1994-...388512?hash=item1a798c50a0:g:APoAAOSwoutcpnVm
  7. asquaredgray

asquaredgray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yah. I found a moto builder who metal fabs and might be interested. Might cost an arm and a leg, too. We'll see.
  8. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    maybe a local high school, community college metal shop? when I was in it, we did labor free work . making a prototype in cardboard first... ? its beyond my skill set ;-)
    hell make a couple and sell them here, if good design I'll buy one, might help with your expenses
    asquaredgray likes this.
  9. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have to look at mine again,but it looks to be a standard bracket modified to hold two singles. I also have two LEDs from ADV monster.Puts out some serious light at night.
  10. ClintToris

ClintToris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I ended up getting the bike(s)! It came with a "parts" bike that ran when sat and is titled. My buddy threw some cash in on the deal and he's going to try and fix it. I got home late last night so only managed to snap a trailer picture but I'll include some seller photos too. The red bikes been sitting for a bit so it was grumpy on start up, and surged a bit with the high idle engaged. I'm gonna put fresh gas and new plugs in it, hopefully that will get it cleared up. It did include a full service history however and had all of its fluids done 1200 miles ago.

Attached Files:

asquaredgray and Nessman like this.
  11. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a 19" front wheel? Toying with putting one on mine. Fresh gas should help. Good luck with it.
  12. ClintToris

ClintToris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the red one has a 19", it came with receipts for new wheels from buchanan's. They seem to be pretty nice, it does handle very well with the 19" although I'm not sure what it'll be like offroad. The black one still has the 21" on it so whenever it gets running I'd be able to give you an opinion on the two.
    auto likes this.
  13. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
  14. TypeRated

TypeRated Airborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m glad someone bought that bike before I did. Seems like it was listed for months.
    ClintToris likes this.
  15. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quotas are hard sell these days.Told myself "no V85 till I sell the Quota" Guess I won't be getting a V85 anytime soon.For the money their bringing probably one of the best used bike deals out there.
  16. ClintToris

ClintToris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've put some more miles on the Quota and ran a tank of non-ethanol with redline fuel cleaner in it. With that and the new plugs it's been running great and starting right off the bat cold.

However..

I believe my clutch is slipping, it only happens at WOT. I can use all the gears over all (haven't redlined it in 5th) the rev range as long as I use 3/4 or a little more throttle. Is this an adjustment issue or am I going to need to do a new clutch? I can't seem to see any oil leaks that would have contaminated the plates.

I did explore around the trainyard in Tampa, wasn't fenced at all and the workers didn't seem to blink an eye. The regular road turned into gravel and it was a decent bit of fun for me, not so much for my buddy.

Attached Files:

17. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Do you have any free play in the clutch cable?
  18. ClintToris

ClintToris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd say the clutch handle has about 1mm-1.5mm of play. Maybe 2mm max. I just read that 3-4 is best case scenario (not sure if the also applies to the quota?) I honestly didn't know this could cause it until I just googled it hah. I'm gonna adjust it tomorrow and see if it helps, thank you.
  19. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    I can't remember now if there is an adjuster on the transmission (other than the cable adjuster) but I don't think so. If you have free play in the lever and nothing's sticky then it's likely your clutch needs service. How many miles on the bike?
  20. ClintToris

ClintToris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh fair enough, I figured it probably needs to be changed. It has a little over 36,000 on it. I'll still try and adjust it a tad but we'll see. I read that there's a decent amount of specific tools needed for a clutch job on these bikes too.