The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike makes a similar noise to the one in the video from time to time, mostly when it is struggling to idle too low when cold. My theory has always been that the timing chain rattles around when it is idling too slow, thus the noise - I recall Greg Bender replacing his on his Quota due to a similar sound and it not making any difference. I don't worry about it, and try not to lug the engine. Yes the gearbox is clunky but don't expect smooth once shimmed - I shimmed the trans in my Eldo and it went from ca-chunk to just a clunk. :1drink It's pretty easy to do so if I ever pull the Q's gearbox I'll likely do the same.
  2. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I detect a trend towards adjusting one's perception of the noise, rather than the source of it. I'm not a total stranger to it,
    I started riding with earplugs a couple of years ago, they're the best tuning aid ever, now can't ride without them.
    There's still the suspicion that mechanical noise is a source/consequence of worn parts, but maybe not here...
    +1 with Jeff about the gearbox. Still, there's a satisfaction to tweaking it "from ca-chunk to just a clunk", right ?
    Maybe I can use this confinement to fine-tune my personality...:D
  3. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Quota is my only experience with "older" Moto Guzzi's. My other two are both 2017s, a Griso and a V7 iii Racer.

My Quota makes a bunch of different noises that are a bit concerning! :) The "normal" clutch in rattle is there and loud. I have put a new clutch in and pretty much the same level of noise (I had the engine out for oil leaks and figured might as well do the clutch at the same time, didn't do it just because of the noise level). Then the "normal" clicking and clattering when started and running. And then the gearbox clunk during shifts. And some sort of driveline noise that is louder when cold and almost gone after riding (warming up?) for ~5-10 minutes.

I am thinking of tracking down an experience Guzzi person to take mine for a short ride and see if it is all just normal noises or not.

That video all sounds "normal" to me. :)
  4. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, just detected surprised that thread. maybe i should put my Q into that.
    Bought from a buddy who did make a couple mods, i gave the final finish last year. Sure, i didn´t need the Q urgently, but it has been so unique, couldn´t resist. I ´m familar with big block Guzzis since 1994, now 5 in the shed. none of them for sale.

Attached Files:

Mr. Vintage and auto like this.
  5. Naotsugu

Naotsugu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the blacked out rims.
  6. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that colour at all.

The aluminium rim got cracked - as usual. Fitted a jackal rim, 140 tire on it - happy.
  7. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it's too late to take it back...
    A couple of m... mods ?
    That looks so good, you've just about ruined it for me. :knary
  8. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the motor in it? Or just a carb conversion
  9. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motor is stock Norge 1200, just carb fitted, LeMans airbox with K&N. Runs great :ricky what else ....
    other mods .... KTM fork/wheel/breaks LC8, Wilbers rear shock, 2nd gas tank 5 litres, homemade 2 in 2 exhaust ... many minor items more which i cannot recall.
    All modifications agreed by authority, what usually creates more headake than simple work does:hair
  10. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found another pic. I like symmetry alot. My both legs are (nearly) same length, arms as well. On each side one arranged - from stock.
    Why to run a single exhaust pipe when two cylinders?
    The panniers are closer to the bike than usual, all gives a harmonic look.

Maybe someone manages to turn the pic once counterclockwise, i cannot.

Greets Dirk
    20190801_191706.jpg
  11. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Wow that's the most modded quota Ive seen, well done !!!
  12. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    used to be fast, try this shop, Klaus was the original importer of Wilbers before TP, he lists a lower price then you posted. also he says he can re build some shocks that aren't meant to be re built. I bought a Wilburs from him ages ago before Ted was selling them, he was very good to deal with https://www.wilbersusa.com
  13. Gravelthinking

Gravelthinking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, had some charging issues this past week. Went on a ride, and about a mile in I noticed that my dash mounted voltmeter was registering 12.1. Turned around, got home, and checked the battery. Battery tested good. I just replaced the regulator last year, so I'm hoping I don't have one of the bad batch of them that seem to be going around. Went to take a good look at all of the connections coming from the regulator, and they all seemed to be in great shape. Then I took a good look at the two yellow wires coming from the alternator and saw that the insulation was completely dried out, cracked, and peeling in the area between the wire heat shielding and the connector. I cut back to good wire and replaced the connectors. Bike charges at a steady 14.1 again. Crisis averted.
    Kt-88, HighwayChile and XYooper906 like this.
  14. Blueboarhound

Blueboarhound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's information on the Stelvio Rally (June 4-7, 2020) in Elk Park, NC over on the Southeast Regional section of the forum.

Quota's are welcome as well !
  15. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    Went on an eight hour ride yesterday. When I got back, I put the Quota on its side stand. Five minutes later, when I got on the bike, a friend noticed several drops of oil immediately came dripping down. I traced the source (finally) and it's the bell housing weep hole. Positive that it's engine oil.
  16. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ So what is the procedure on the Quota ? Pull the engine out of the front ?
    It seems like marginally less work than pulling the gearbox out of a Tonti, but I could be wrong, not having done the former yet.
  17. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    Search this thread for posts from jetpoweredmonkey , he put up some good pics. Basically secure the front wheel in a stand, rear wheel on ground, pull frame rails off and motor out, bike still sitting on 2 wheels, transmission as-is.

I've done this twice. Not exactly hard, but time consuming (for me) ... I took ~6 hours to pull it apart.
  18. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    Not sure how Guzzi knowledgeable you are ... but ... there is one hope for this ... the crankcase vent pipe exits the top of the bell housing, metal tube, and it connects to a rubber hose just on top of the motor/bell housing ... sometime that hose/pipe connection leaks and oil dribbles down the pipe into the bell housing and drips out the bottom. Hopefully that's your issue! And to be clear, that hose/tube connection is outside the bell housing and not so hard to reach ... so kind of easy to check.

If not, the back of the engine has several potential leak points ... lots of info available on and ways to address ... but let me (us) know if you can't find that info.
    Gravelthinking likes this.
  19. usedtobefast

Oddometer:
    Did my first Quota oil change yesterday. Whew, 18 bolts, pulling the oil pan (sump). The good news, the inside of the sump was super clean, pristine, no sludge or rust goop, shockingly spotless! And the old gasket was super easy to remove, no sticking areas.

I assume everyone wonders (while they are laying on their backs pulling out 18 bolts) why the heck Moto Guzzi designed it this way ... I think it is to weed out the guys that will not be willing to work on their Moto Guzzi's. :-) If you can't pull off the oil pan for an oil change then move on, but a Honda or Suzuki or something. :-)
    Gravelthinking likes this.
  20. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    I've checked the check valve and the breather hose, the check valve is in great shape, the breather hose, not so. Down where the breather hose attaches to the crankcase vent pipe, the hose is in pretty good shape, but there are cracks further up. I do have a hose on back order. I might just get some oil resistant hose from a nearby parts store and test to see if that solves anything. Fairly easy to do, try, and test. If the leak persists then it may be an issue within the bell housing besides the vent hose.