The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at the official Quota hose, it was something like $75?! Ended up just keeping the old one.

For my back of motor leak fix, seems the biggest leaks for me were the gasket where the crankcase vent hose attached to the motor (inside the bell housing) and the bottom two bolts for the flange (that supports the back of the crank). Those bottom two bolts are threaded all the way thru into the crankcase, so I guess as pressure builds up oil makes it way by the threads somehow.

My cam plug cover was not leaking (but I put JB Weld on it anyway) and it did not look like my flange gasket or rear main seal was leaking but I replaced them anyway. Getting the rear main seal out without pulling the flange seems like it would be very hard. Pulling the flange out mean you can easily get to the rear main seal. I read that it is possible to put the rear main seal in too far, so be careful with that if you replace it.

Good luck!
    Gravelthinking likes this.
  2. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    l-Tampon.jpg

Attached Files:

usedtobefast and Gravelthinking like this.
  3. Gravelthinking

Gravelthinking Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably has a Moto Guzzi part number? :-)
  5. vwhobo

vwhobo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all. FNG here. Heading out tomorrow morning to look at and hopefully purchase a 2000 Quota with 41k miles on the clock. From talking with the owner it sounds like the bike has been well cared for. Pictures of it back that up. This will be our second MG purchase of 2020, the other being a 2009 Stelvio (Italian for expensive headache) which has been waiting for parts literally since the day we brought it home.

So, I hate to be that guy but here goes. Is there anything specific to these bikes that a need to pay special attention to when viewing it tomorrow? What kind of price would be reasonable for this bike in the southeastern USA? This deal popped up on short notice so I haven't had a great deal of time to research it. That, and there's not a lot of info on the interwebz about these bikes anyway. Thanks!

103378563_2960417764075245_4802512544258768009_o.jpg
  6. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like it has a few nice options,sloan exhaust,external oil filter. How much his he asking for it? I'm sure you will be told to look for cracks in the rims.I'm also sure at 41k they have been addressed. I would make sure the shifting is not overly clunky. Looks clean.
    vwhobo likes this.
  7. vwhobo

vwhobo n00b

Oddometer:
    I knew it had the external oil filter but didn't know that's an aftermarket exhaust. Thought it was stock from the factory. Bonus for me.

I did read about the rims cracking around the spoke nipples and I'm told that's not a problem on this bike. As to the price, it starts at sub $3k and I'm hoping to get it closer to $2500. Even if I pay full asking price my gut tells me this is a pretty good deal.

Another question. I found several places to source parts for the above mentioned Stelvio but some of those don't even recognize the Quota. Any thoughts on where the best place(s) are to send my money for Quota parts? Thanks for the info.

ETA: Just looked at a bunch of photos online. I guess the exhaust is aftermarket.
  8. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More exact, muffler is stock. Headers look to be Sloan.Same set up as mine.Nice sound but not overly loud. I would think $2500 would be a good price.It's a shame Quota's don't command a high price.They are a very good bike for the money. Personally I wouldn't say it's high mileage,but I would use the 41k as a bargaining chip. Parts are pretty generic from most MG. Body work is the odd ball and nothing is out there anyway.
    vwhobo likes this.
  9. vwhobo

vwhobo n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, something large and red followed me 225 miles home today. It rides really nice and is in pretty excellent condition. The wife already claimed it as her's...

KIMG0143.JPG
  10. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    Very cool. Make sure the breather isn't draining into the engine. If it were mine I'd pull the oil pan off to take a look. Check the charging voltage, the regulators can go bad and cause an overcharge condition.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_quota_rust_in_the_oil.html

Looks like it has Happy Trail side racks, an improvement from the stock H&B racks, which have poor mounting points and are too flexible.

Great find, have fun!
  11. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
  12. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
  13. Bert Fox

Bert Fox Casual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you posted awhile back. The quota rear gearcase is best done to measure the exact amount out according to Dave Richardson in Guzziology and drain the old oil out and pour the new in. Don't forget to add 2 oz of a good moly friction modifier as per "Guzzi" recommendation.
  14. khristopher

khristopher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's Marc's bike! In Raleigh, yes? That's pictured near my old champagne/blue Quota on forum page 61. Great guy who takes great care of his bikes. Enjoy.
  15. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    I got my old friend out of hibernation this weekend. Nothing wrong with her, except the EME voltage regulator I installed some time back killed the battery. So she got a fresh Yuasa, a $30 ebay regulator, fresh Mobil 1 20W/50 and new filters. I also hooked the factory breather system back up, replacing the catch can I had installed some time back. The can never controlled the oil mist well and it ended up in the airbox. I connected the breather drain lines together with a tee and routed a hose down to the bottom of the engine, and plugged with a bolt. I'll just drain it every so often. After a 100 mile ride this weekend there was no oil in it. For good measure I also installed new high pressure fuel hoses coming out of the pump and to the injectors.

I kind of forgot how much I love this bike. It's like a pair of old jeans, and with a tall saddle and homemade footpeg lowering brackets, fits me like a glove. Not to mention those wiiiide handlebars. I had thought about selling it a while ago, but no - I think she is a lifetime bike. I would be hard pressed to find something else that fits me as well and with so much character!

The cheapo ebay regulator works pretty good, showing 13.5-13.7V at speed, and around 12.4V at idle, which sometimes makes the voltage light on the dash come on. But it does not drain the battery while sitting, so I'm rolling with it.

IMG_2747.JPG
  16. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    Good idea with the tee and the oil "drain" hose. That seat looks really comfortable!
  17. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    One of the most comfy seats I've ever planted my butt on! It's an all day seat for sure.
  18. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    Was it a custom job?
  19. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a local upholstery shop added foam to the original seat and made me a new cover. They only charged me $150 which seemed like a bargain, but they went out of business 6 months later! Darn it. They made a nice job of it.
  20. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer: