The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your right,nice bike.Opening bid $2500,doubt he get any action. Shame,wish they brought more money.Someday will have to sell mine.
  2. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    They are way too cheap. I'm never selling mine!
  3. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Anybody here have a windscreen they're not using? I don't want to hack up the stock one but I want to experiment with some air flow mods.
  4. guzzitony

guzzitony Guzton

Oddometer:
    ex mobile 053.jpg i had a little extension bit that i wasnt convinced was that good so i put some stickon velcro to hold it and adjust it up/down. went for a ride with it in all heights and ended up putting in backpack and it was better. and now i just cut the top inch off. head in the wind but non of the buffeting like youre behind a truck. seats been cut down so i'm really in the bike and i'm about 5'9"
  5. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Windscreen ... i attached this one. Wind goes above the helmet. It´s the lower Q1000, I´m 1,83 m tall. Happy with that,just perfect. Don´t know something similar available i US.

Attached Files:

6. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Dirk, that MRA touring screen is available here and I had thought of something similar. MRA also sells the adjustable spoiler as a generic clamp on item. However I'm very tall, and sitting on a seat with more padding. I never have a prayer of getting wind to go over my head. I'm content to ride in the wind as long as I'm not getting beat up by buffeting. Right now the turbulent air hits me square in the face.

I may end up buying an MRA and modifying it, but what I really want is a stock screen because added height is only going to make things worse for me. I think adding one of these Rifle vents to the stock screen could help. However I don't want to cut my perfect original screen since there are none available now.

https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Accessories/Air-Balance-Windshield-Vent-Kit.aspx
  7. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After my stock screen got broken I bought a taller Gustafune.Actually worked out nice,deflects most air over top my helmet. They have gotten pricey since I bought mine. Now I think there over priced for what you get.
  8. Gravelthinking

Gravelthinking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New rear tire time. I have been running a Shinko 705, but after about 6000 miles, it's ready for replacement. Since I really do mostly pavement with the occasional gravel road, I'm thinking more of a 90% street 10% trail type. Any suggestions?
  9. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    A PO installed one of those on my Quota. I really like it. I'm 5'11" and it works perfectly for me with almost no buffeting.
  10. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    I have 705s on my Q and to be honest they handle darn near as well as Michelins. For the price, I can't justify even looking at any other tire! The last set cost me $100 for the pair.
  11. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    True. That price is why I chose them to begin with, and installation was much easier than the Continental Escapes I had before.
  12. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine had Avons that wore and worked great. I picked up a set of Dunlops at a swap meet cheap. Running them now, see how they work out. Really did like the Avons though.
  13. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    For the group's benefit and my wallet's detriment, I have been working my way through all available voltage regulators for the Q and can now offer anyone in need of a new one this comprehensive guide!

First of all, install a voltmeter, you're gonna need it! This is what I use. All these big ADV bikes deserve heated grips, and this is one of the best setups I've found. Plug and play aside from adapting to your bike's wiring. I tied mine into the front parking light circuit. They work great, get plenty hot, and have a built in voltmeter.

https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Heated-Grips-LCD-Switch/dp/B00NYBZ4CQ

So, onward with regulators:
    • Guzzi OEM: Works OK, high RPM voltage is a bit low (12.8-13.2) until it fails, and then outputs an unhealthy 17V. Keep an eye on this with a dash mounted voltmeter, if you cook your ECU, you are not going to be happy.
    • Euro Motoelectrics: Best voltage output of all options, usually around 13V at idle, over 14V at speed. Unfortunately I've had two of these now, and both had a voltage leak with the bike switched off that will kill your battery. If you buy one, after installing, disconnect your positive battery cable and use a volt ohm meter to check for current draw. If found, send it back. The one I was sent as a replacement had the same problem.
    • $30 eBay special: Battery warning light will be on at idle, max voltage seems to top out around 13.2V. So, it works, but it's annoying, and doesn't seem to charge very well.
    • ElectroSport Industries ESR515: I found a brand new one on ebay for $60 from someone cleaning out their garage. Idle voltage can be a little low, down to 12.5V or so, but it does not turn on the dash light. Full RPM voltage is rock solid at about 13.8-13.9 no matter what load you're putting on the system (within limits of capacity).
    So based on my experience, the EME seems to be the best, if you can get one that isn't defective. But if I had it to do over again, I'd go for the ElectroSport.
    captain jc, Gravelthinking and auto like this.
  14. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After stopping at the local Guzzi dealer for another V85 test ride I went out and found some nice roads in SE Pa. I'm looking hard at V85 travel. It was nice to see that Quota posted earlier IMG_7719[1].JPG bring a above average number. If someone is looking for a sorted Quota shoot me a PM IMG_7720[1].JPG
    Gravelthinking likes this.
  15. Gravelthinking

Oddometer:
    Saw the classified on WildGuzzi. Looks like you went for the V85.
  16. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was a good deal I couldn't pass up. I had the Quota for about 5 years and other than a dead battery it never let me down. Someone will end up with a nice well sorted Quota.
    Gravelthinking likes this.
  17. Naotsugu

Naotsugu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jetpoweredmonkey, I have a PO cut down gustosffen windscreen and a factory windscreen. I’m 6’2” and have kind of the same issue as you. If you want the Gustafson it’s yours. I’ll take a picture later this evening, I’m leaving for work and it’s dark right now.
  18. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer! Mine came with a Gustaffson new in the bag, which I sold - I couldn't stand to look at it. :)

Still not sure what I'm going to do about the airflow. Would still like to find a stock screen. Barring that I'll probably buy an MRA and cut it up.
  19. captain jc

captain jc Earthrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone has rebuilt the rear master cylinder and has a good source for rebuild kits. Mine has a nylon? sleeve that seems to have swelled to where the piston sticks. Of course the sleeve is stuck fast in the cylinder so may need a new m.c .
    Any info or ideas greatly appreciated.

20200815_230656~2.jpg
  20. jetpoweredmonkey

Oddometer:
    13.1 and Gravelthinking like this.