1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Naotsugu

Naotsugu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, interesting posts about the injection system. I’m in the same boat as Camionjeep. My Quota 1100 has had work done by a previous owner. Mine has the custom intake, mistral y pipe, and now two brothers exhaust. The mapping is really good. No issues at any rpm range. I downshift at 3500 tho. I try to keep the rpms around 4200. So that means around two lane roads it’s a four speed I’ve got a power commander that used to be on Auto’s bike, but I’m wondering if I really need it? The bike is running well without it.

as far as what side the tang for the center stand is on, I never have my brake on when deploying the center stand. The wheel has to roll backwards a bit so if the brake was on it would be more difficult.

pic of my cheap used exhaust installed.

and a link to hear it running. Any excess vibration noise is from my noisy old top box.

https://youtube.com/shorts/68sU0gIEyp0

Attached Files:

XYooper906 likes this.
  2. camionjeep

camionjeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a nice exhaust note. I think mine is a bit sharper/noisier, but it's hard to compare when I generally only hear mine with a helmet on. The aftermarket exhaust can is pretty abbreviated though. If I can work out how to post a clip of it running, like your clip., I will.
  3. NavIS

NavIS n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello friends. I bought 1100es. A crack was discovered in the pendulum mount. I think from vibrations through the lower subframe. Has anyone faced such a problem? what should I do? Brew with argon and reinforce with an additional metal corner. Thank you. ПРИКЛЮЧИТЬ] 2853669 [/ ПРИКЛЮЧИТЬ] [ПРИКЛЮЧИТЬ] 2853670 [/ ПРИКЛЮЧИТЬ]

Attached Files:

4. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never seen anything like it, I doubt the "vibrations" theory.
    Barring a very violent blow to the swingarm, it's more likely that someone did not grasp the concept of a swingarm on taper
    bearings, and tightened it so forcefully that it broke. I would clean & weld the crack and then keep an eye on it for a while.
    I wouldn't try to reinforce it, as that would only introduce additional welding stresses.
    NavIS likes this.
  5. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    I concur, there's plenty of metal to weld there but it also seems the start of that crack (the backside) could be radiused better to avoid some of the stress concentration. Good luck!
    NavIS likes this.
  6. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the term "brew with argon" for welding.
    Swingarm pivot like shaft drive bmw with the pin threading into the frame so i don't see how it would crack even overtightening the cap nut, seems then the crack would start from the threaded hole underneath the cap nut. Parts fiche shows what looks to be a sealed bearing not tapered.
    Crack is on the weekest part of that section so may be vibration.
    Might be hard to clean with bearing grease all over the back side. I'd die grind out the crack from the front and brew with co2/argon using a mig,concentrating the tack on the outer edge of the crack then moving towards the center. Shouldn't take much.
    NavIS likes this.
  7. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    New to me 2000 Quota.
    Last registered in 2017. So sitting for a long time. Bad fuel. Rough idle but starts right up.

A lot of unaddressed "niggles".

I have done; CCV to small filter (the check valve had some black crap on it so got it all cleaned up, canisterectomy, add another ground wire to voltage regulator.
    Oil and filter change - Luckily I did not see any rusty bits in the oil. It was black and a bit of goo on the bottom of the pan.

Plan on doing;
    New air & fuel filters.
    Lube speedometor cable and 90 degree coupler.
    Change trans, final drive oil
    Change brake fluid.
    TB sync and reset TPS.
    Grease shock linkage, drive shaft splines and steering stem bearings..... I need to figure out if I can get by without the special tool for the steering stem nut???

When I first got it and realized the amount of work that I had to do I was overwhelmed but now that I have made progress it does not seem like much.
    No rim or exhaust cracks yet.......

Anything else I should check or do to keep it in top running condition????
    IMG_5315.JPG
  8. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably already on your list, but new spark plugs and valve clearance check.

Also, test the charging voltage to ensure the alternator and voltage regulator are working properly.

Oh, maybe pull up the fork boots to check the condition of the forks tubes ... make sure no rust or pitting on the chrome tubes.

Bleed brakes (fresh fluid through system), and brake pad check.

You are bold going for TB synch and TPS reset! Have you read up about that on the Quota? From my reading I've decided to not touch it unless I absolutely have to. :)
  9. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    :confused curious,, :scratch
    how would there be "rusty bits"
    submerged in motor oil?? IDK?
    :lol2Anyway,,, check the clutch for proper operation,, and if you're really energetic,, maybe a driveshaft spline lube..
    Enjoy your new project and ride safe.. Cheers :beer, G.
  10. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder to check the voltage output. I just put another ground wire from the regulator to the engine. Had no idea about the fork tubes - but yea they should be checked and the oil changed. Doing the lazy brake fluid change - suck out and the fluid from the reservoir and put in new. Repeat yearly.
    I am thinking as this bike has been neglected that the TB sync is off. Going to try and figure out a way to attach......something to the adjuster so I can do it with the tank on. Or just take it to a friend who likes to work on old BMW's. ;)

The rusty bits from the CCV frame condenser.....that box with all the hoses in/out of it.
    Driveshaft and swingarm bearings are on the list. The steering stem bearings are what have me a bit concerned as there is a castle nut that requires a special tool......like maybe a punch and hammer but kind of want to avoid going that route. :fpalm

Now I need to wait for the manual petcocks. air and fuel filters before I can put it together and ride it.

Does anyone know if these are the same engines used in the California's???
    I had a 99 Bassa that was my first and most favorite Guzzi.
  11. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of an easy way to eliminate the self retract feature of the side stand? It is getting to be quite annoying to me. :(
  12. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    I can offer you two suggestions, the hard way, and the easy way. Here's the hard way:

http://www.epfguzzi.com/acesory/kiklink.html

That sounded like a lot of work to me, so what I did was remove the special pivot bolt which contacts the spring, and took it to the hardware store. Look in the metric hex bolts section, I don't remember what size it is, but probably M8. Find a normal hex head bolt of the same length and thread as the original, take it home, install it, and then throw the stupid OEM bolt in the trash. If you are not good at the hardware store, just find the right metric nut that threads on the old bolt and use the nut to confirm the threads on the new bolt are the same.

Here is a photo of mine, a little different than yours because I made some foot peg lowering brackets. On your bike there is nothing in the way of removing the pivot bolt.

IMG_4276.JPG
  13. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:

Thank you! :clap

Well I took the easy way. I had a bolt but too long so I cut it down with the hacksaw. Works like it should now. I just wish every mod was that easy and got the exact desired results.
    jetpoweredmonkey likes this.
  14. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any Quota owner also been a BMW R1150GS owner? Wondering how they compare.
  15. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not an owner, but I rode a friend's 1150GS a while back expecting telelever refinement and lighter weight, and was surprised how barge-like it seemed. It wasn't necessarily bad - the driveline was probably more refined, and the weight it has is probably lower, but I guess I was expecting more given the cost differences and the German engineering. I'm quite happy with my Q, it has much more character.

Edit: It occured to me it was actually an 1100gs, should it matter.
    Edit to the Edit: Actually, it was actually a 1150.
  16. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    I rode a buddies 1100GS, it had a little more hp on top but you had to wring its next to find it, sounded like a sewing machine, slightly smoother ... like a sewing machine, I agree with barge like. I rode a 1200gs across France, 2 day ride, more everything, power, barge feel, very nice bike but for me I'll stick with my quota. SCexpat my Q gets rough if it sits, this past year I ve worked like a maniac and barely rode, its running rough, it only gets non ethanol unless unavailable on a trip. I suspect injectors need to be cleaned, ill be doing that soon. im taking most of the summer off and having some fun
  17. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Good to know it is not an isolated thing. I plan on running a can or 2 of Seafoam through it. Hoping to get the manual petcock, fuel and air filter today so I can get it out for a little shake down ride. Of course it is turning cold again next week. :(
  18. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    I have an R1100GS, I like both bikes. The Q has some kind of Italian magic that gives it light, telepathic steering while also not being nervous on the freeway. The BMW is always ultra stable, even in a crosswind, and is my pick for longer distance because it gets better mileage and has a giant comfy Aeroflow screen on it. It handles great too, but doesn't feel as nimble as the Q. I really like the 1100 because like the Quota it is pretty simple, with a cable operated choke and clutch. The BMW has a lot more top end due to the four valve heads, but I like the character of the Guzzi in the low and midrange better. The BMW is a far more developed package, with actual switch mounts for heated grips, power port, integrated tool kit, seats that come off with a key, ABS, all while still being easy to work on.
    HighwayChile likes this.
  19. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    JPM, better review then mine ! it was 15 years ago I rode my friends 1100 GS so im hazy on the memory, im sure you are spot on. yes ive used Seafoam and it helps , like an Italian lady, it does not like to be ignored. I love the simplicity of the Q, I call it my ISM.... Italian Soul Machine
  20. Naotsugu

Naotsugu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took my Quota up to TWO in Suches GA today. Great ride. I did not get any gravel road road action but enjoyed many many twistie curves!

Attached Files: