1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The Quota thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Nessman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Well I only have a little over 200 miles on mine. Still working on getting the TPS set and have also found another item to try......cleaning the ignition switch. Someone on Guzzitech reported they made significant improvement eliminating the rough spot by cleaning up the ignition switch.
    I really like the riding position, seat and am one of the few that does not notice any buffeting????? 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and the bike fits me like a glove. The suspension really smooths out the crap roads around here too.
    Yea it is high geared like all my previous Guzzi's.
    Luckily I have not had to pick it up off the ground yet so no idea what that is like.
  2. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moved on to a TT from my Quota. When i set my TPS I just cranked the idle out as much as I could. I can remember the exact values ,but tried to go smaller and it got better MPG but bucked and pooped. Pumped it up and I found a sweet spot. Your going to have to experiment and find your quota's sweet spot. As for Guzzidag telling you it's not closed,just unscrew it and try it. Jet powered had a post that worked for me for setting the TPS. It is the only setting you have to work with so experiment and see where it goes
  3. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am thinking just what you said........I need to keep fussing with it until I find what works on my bike. Also optimistic about cleaning the ignition switch. May do nothing but give me hope that I can get it running good. ;)
  4. road2blue

road2blue road2blue

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr. Vintage and Jay PC....I joined the club despite the warnings of how terrible these beasts are. I've had Beemers with buffeting, buzzy bars, bad final drives, torturous saddles, horrible lighting and bad electrics. Old stuff is old stuff. What you told me confirms my impressions from other sources but like a fool I went to look anyway. Low kms with full history, fuel injection sorted, exhaust pipe crack problem sorted, upgraded wheels and fat foot pegs.....but its old technology and the paint ain't perfect. So I took it for a spin..the torque and engine braking reminded me of my old GSPD, the ergonomics will work and every newly purchased bike needs a few farkles anyway....so I bought it knowing I will need to get side deflectors and probably a different wind screen, figure out the lights and get some engine and sump protection. I have logging roads, fire roads, mining roads and ranch roads that I want to explore....maybe another trip into the Arctic. I'm not into single track with a beast like this and I don't need to go 100 mph....but I do need something for hours of pavement and hours of gravel...that won't strand me and won't cause a heart attack if the paint gets a scratch. On my short ride home....it felt good....I think we will be good friends!
    Naotsugu, jay pc and Mr. Vintage like this.
  5. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of happy you're not acting on my say-so, it IS a Guzzi so the basis is sound, I only feel that they've dropped the ball on so many aspects
    they usually get right. With the kind of commitment I don't have anymore (old fart...), I've no doubt you can make into what it might have been,
    as several on this thread seem to have done. The reward can only be correspondingly greater ! More power to you :thumb
  6. Naotsugu

Naotsugu Adventurer

Oddometer:

No experience with BMWs. However, buffeting. I come from naked bikes with no fairing, and cruisers that my first mod was pulling the windshield. I have no complaints with mine. It doesn’t like dirty air from large vehicles, but what bike does?

Quotas ride really light on pavement. Doesn’t feel like a 600# bike at all. BUT. Get it tippy at slow speeds and you can tell it’s a heavyweight.

I have nice seat on mine. It’s comfy even on long rides. The bikes are tall. Lots of owners cut the seats down. That makes them terrible.

Riding position is fine. I can stand up just fine. I’d like some wider pegs but wouldn’t change the position at all.

my Quota has had the ecm tuned previously. I have good power throughput the entire power band, no hiccups, and pulls great. I have custom intake, mistral y pipe, and an old two brothers exhaust can. She sound glorious!

i upgraded the headlight to a Yamaha fzr unit as described at this old tractor. Installed a led bulb. Holy schnikes what a difference. I ride in the dark a lot and now it lights up the roadway.

I have had to replace all the relays. Originals are junk. And ended up doing some major engine breather work but that was due to a PO not riding the bike, not so much a fault of the bike.

Personally I love my Quota. But it is not refined, it has lots of personality that I love, but some would dislike.

where you at? If you’re around ATL let me know and you take the worlds ugliest Quota for a spin.
  7. road2blue

road2blue road2blue

Oddometer:
    I've only had a short couple of rides on it but I agree...good seating position, light on the pavement...it is a FUN bike to ride! "if I am around ATL"....LOL...thanks for the offer...would be fun but we are on opposite sides (diagonally) of the continent and the borders are closed right now. I am in Canada about 3 hours north of Seattle. Maybe once covid settles down and the borders open a road trip would be fun....is there such a thing a s Guzzi Gathering?
  8. Naotsugu

Naotsugu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are Guzzi Gatherings. I think they’re whimsically called Not-A-Rally’s. The Guzzi owners club was good about having meet n greets pre-covid. Here are some pics from March’s gathering here in GA

The guys said the turnout was huge! Practically National level. Lol!

Attached Files:

9. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, i just ran across your request for footpegs. I felt the same issue and went to https://sw-motech.com/Produkte/Ergonomie/Fussrasten/4052572040423.htm
    I don´t know whether it was exactly that model, but i guess it was. Plug and play, noticable wider and many settings. Much safer whe standing, no slipping off.

A small investment that really pays off.