The Ramblings of a Uralogist- A cross country ADVenture on three wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by madeouttaglass, Apr 11, 2012.

1. patiodadio

patiodadio Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Was she in the sidecar when this pic was taken ? If she was, she is one heck of a gal !

2. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what kind of oil and lubricants you used? Did you use Synthetic or Dino? Do they make tires that last longer for the URAL? Now that it has broke in, and you adjusted everything, (valves?) does it get good fuel mileage and run stronger?

Alot of the pics you took out west are the same ones that my wife and I took on her first motorcycle trip in her life. (55yrs at the time) I had been to most of the same places before so I took her to them because I was familiar with the roads. I always love to read posts that documents their travels and places they went to!

I read all of it in one sitting. Beautifully written! Thank-you for all the time you had to put into your story!!
  3. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, and lower Arizona
    I'm glad you enjoyed the trip Scooter Addict. I've also read many ride reports and figured writing a few would be my way of giving back. It's also nice to look back and relive some of a ride.
    When I stopped at Ural headquarters they told me to use cheap dino oil and change it often. The machine only had a few hundred KMs on it, so it wasn't broken in yet. They had no concerns about the amount of weight that we were going to haul for so many miles and they were right. A few years later I still have not had a single issue with it, and that rig has seen some real off road abuse since that trip.
    Power has stayed the same since about mid trip. The last 4.5 gallons of fuel got me 195 KMs before I ran out (yesterday about 150 feet from the gas station.:D)
    As I recently wrote in my "Escape From NY" RR, that trip started an avalanche of changes in my life. It opened the door to cross country travel, introduced me to California's "Lost Coast", and now has me moving there later this month. I'm not a person who moves around (Lived in 4 houses in my entire life.) and would have never dreamed that such a thing would come of things. I can honestly say that ADVRider and Pashnit.com changed my life.
  4. JCZ

JCZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moving to the Lost Coast....where he'll never have to lift another shovel full of snow ever again! :clap
    madeouttaglass likes this.
  5. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  6. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go

Oddometer:
    Hello Tom, just felt like re reading this ride report again, because today I also became a Ural owner, got a real good deal on a 2016 Taiga Gear Up. Last year was pretty tough on the Tenere (climbing on and off of it) so I decided to look around and buy one of these, I hope it treats me as good as yours had! Merry Christmas-Pete
  7. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Frohlichte Weinachten to you, the hounds, and Sue too.
    I sure didn't ever picture you on a sidecar rig. Be careful. I told you before that they are the most unforgiving vehicles I've ever owned. Tons of fun and a great way to break the ice with other riders though. I just rode the Desert Rat up to Arcata to bring a neighbor to pick up an FJR for him. Looks like I'm a pretty good salesman for the bikes I ride.
    Please take some time practicing, especially tight right turns. FWIW- I picture the sidecar tire on the white line while making those right turns at speed. It takes your mind off of oncoming traffic and gives you the right kind of target fixation.
  8. panzer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good tip, I remembered you referring to Soviet Steeds so I've been picking up a lot of tips there too. I believe this will work out fine, it will keep me in dual sport mode and slow me down to smell the pines.
  9. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally enjoyed reading of your trip. I just bought a 04 Troyka with about 13,000KM's. Riding this thing is a blast. I now realize it is not about top speed or great gas mileage, but enjoying the trip. So far I have been just tooling around the neighborhood, but this spring I have some plans for some longer trips. My wife has ridden in the chair and she enjoys it, better than the back of the Moto Guzzi.
  10. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
  11. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles did you guys go on the average day?
  12. panzer

Oddometer:
    How are you holding out with all the rain out there? -p/k
  13. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep coming back to this thread every time I question taking a Ural on too-far of a distance. I really want to get one, and this adventure surely doesn't hurt ;)
  14. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Do it. That ride eventually changed everything in my life- for the better.
    Life is short. My brother Panzer, who posted above you, bought one and enjoyed it before cancer took him six months ago.
    Life is sometimes far too short to wait until later.
    Wayward Gypsy likes this.
  15. Bobbrecken

Bobbrecken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am glad to see you had no trouble with the rig. I looked at buying a Gear Up several years ago but couldn’t justify the primitive technology and price. I talked to a guy heading for Alaska on one and he had a cam failure in his first year. The dealer here gave up on them after a couple of years.
  16. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I recently received an email from the man who bought it from me three years ago. He said it had been under a tarp for a few months ( too much rain in the PNW), and it started right up. His twin daughters have been growing up with it and were excited to go for a ride. I am first in line if he ever sells it. That machine was great.
  17. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Ancient thread bump

That's some of my local scenery, My wife grew up in Klamath, CA not more than 800 feet from the entrance to Trees of Mystery.

Did you know there's a road/trail headed south off the river bank paved road, inland up the Klamath river there, that takes you up to a crest at 1000' feet altitude and then drops you down inside Trees of Mystery's park? My wife and I hiked that route, not knowing we'd end up inside their park. Neither did the owners notice and we walked out their front entrance. :evil This was back in 1982.

Very nice ride report BTW.