The rarest, most unusual bike you've ever OWNED

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Al Goodwin, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Bloodmouse

Bloodmouse hoping to get lost

Oddometer:
    Probably not very rare, but a bit unusual. 1975 Suzuki TC185. The TC models had a dual-range transmission. It was my second motorcycle, my first being a 19?? Suzuki Trail Hopper 50, and my third a Suzuki PE250, 1978 version. This photo isn't of my bike, but mine was identical.

Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
    racr28 likes this.
  2. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    View attachment 862189

You are off by a year, first year in US was 75 which had the Thermos gauge cluster, sales were less than expected and Suzuki thought the looks turned off a lot of people, so they put "conventional" instruments, turn signal and tail light on them.
    As for 5 throttle cables, not really, the "pull" cable split to the oil pump, throttle and "power valve" the return cable went to throttle and valve. I own both a '75 and '76

My '75 in Colorado many moons ago

re5.jpg
    Bloodmouse likes this.
  3. Bloodmouse

Bloodmouse hoping to get lost

Oddometer:
    I've always been a little fascinated with the RE5. I like weird motorcycles anyway.
  4. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    The Honda NT650 Hawk. The rare result of one mans obsession when given the order to produce a midweight bike from manufactured materials already present. He combined an exceptional frame -still exceptional today from its 1988 creation- of extruded aluminum with the addition of a single-sided swing-arm derived from an experimental French endurance racer. This involved developing a large bearing for the rear wheel and the lateral stiffness in one strut to maintain sufficient strength so that it would not break or deform and upset the bikes equilibrium. When first produced it had been used on only one other model and was sensationally revolutionary. Within a decade it had become both a fashion statement copied by other manufacturers, and an easy means to remove the rear tire and adjust the chain without deflection of the tire allowing better handling. The frame was light, strong, and efficient. It is probably the only frame ever manufactured by a major motorcycle firm that could not be bettered by individual craftsmen (Metisse, etc.)

Along with this was a centrally located v-twin engine of 'pent-roof' 3 valves that was unfortunately under-powered but dead reliable. Sadly, Honda missed the boat with this model as if they had allowed a higher capacity engine say of 800cc, already produced for other models as this engine type was a 'norm' installed across the range from off-road to cruiser, they would have engendered or eclipsed the Ducati Monster series produced 4 years or so later. Honda's marketing department dropped the ball!

I had four of these wonderful machines with about a total of 300,000 miles. I never had a mechanical breakdown.

I was immensely enthused when I first saw it in Cycle World in '88 because it was the first decent capacity engine inside a small frame ever produced. 412 pounds vs the ungainly Yamaha 650 of well over 450 or my R80 of 465 with a low seat height for my short inseam. And the handling - marvelous - it is still the most easily maneuverable bike I have ever owned by far. On short winding roads only a professional racer could pass me.

And the looks - beautiful colors set off by a resplendent frame, with a svelte style. It was a perfect bike sadly under-powered but more than acceptable to me. I still want one! WAAAAAAHHH!
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  5. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :snore The RC30 had a single sided swingarm in '87 , a year before the Hawk.
  6. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    "When first produced it had been used on only one other model" - Thank-you for the RC-30 explanation.
    I had a friend who owned one and he insisted I ride it once. I'm just a 'street guy' of ordinary capability and found it uncomfortable and inappropriate for the road ... the seat was a board, the ergonomics torturous, and the first gear took it up I think to 45 ...
    handling was responsive but the stiff suspension beat my wrists up. I was always hoping he would crash again (he had a problem with depth perception and missed corners , once putting it into a barbed wire fence) so that I could get the wheels for my Hawk. It doesn't say much for my character (kinda like most of my posts ...)
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Sorry guys - my 1985 BMW has a single-sided swingarm. Doubt if it was the first production bike so equipped.
    notrivia and JCool like this.
  8. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    Whoops! You are absolutely right!
  9. Tirefriar

Tirefriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rare and unusual seems to describe the rotation in my stable. Below are some of my favorites, some are sold and the Cagiva is currently on the chopping block. I wish I could keep them all but my rule is for them to be ridden on regular basis, otherwise they go:

1984 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport:
    IMG_1630.JPG

Bimota SB8R:
    IMG_1870.JPG

1987 Cagiva Alazzurra 650:

IMG_1166.JPG

1991 Bimota YB10:
    IMG_0097.JPG
  10. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1967 Yamaha U5 Newport with electric start. 614 miles.

[​IMG]
    YamaGeek likes this.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170516_152921.jpg 83' Honda MVX250 two stroke triple
    crk and I.P. Freely like this.
  12. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    upload_2017-6-12_2-47-42.png
    ReconnaissanceMan and zzzak like this.
  13. zzzak

zzzak Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of these, fantastic bike and so much fun to ride.

[​IMG]
  14. zzzak

zzzak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had one of these as well.
  15. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Yamaha MF-1 [​IMG]

Sort of a Honda Cub wannabe. Mine was red with white and had the longer seat. 12 volt electrics and starter/generator, always started. Was a rather uninspiring bike, slower than my Honda C-100.
    Takataka likes this.
  16. MagMan

MagMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda CL 90. Receiving it was probably one of the greatest thrills in my life, I still remember the pinch me I'm numb feeling. I was probably 10. If I ever find one in decent condition I will buy it, don't run across many.

[​IMG]
    YamaGeek likes this.
  17. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There aren't very many of these around especially in my neck of the woods :D

[​IMG]
    texag10 likes this.
  18. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I know somebody that has one of those. They're a V- three.
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170516_153021.jpg IMG_20170516_152913.jpg
    crk likes this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D:DI've always had an affinity for weird bikes, but they were your typical 2 strokes such as RD's and RZ's. I'd say the most unusual was an MZ660 Skorpion race bike that my son and I campaigned with WERA for a couple of seasons. Great bike for a beginner or experts. One of those that I should have hung on to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of my favorite pictures...me on my FZR400, my son on the MZ...the very first time he was on a track during practice his first race weekend. This was a Nashville Superspeedway. He took it just a bit wide:D

[​IMG]