The rarest, most unusual bike you've ever OWNED

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Al Goodwin, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say its main issue was that it was fugly. Holy crap! Pun intended.
  2. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Spanish trials bike. Maybe not so rare and unusual elsewhere, but pretty rare and unusual in the U.S.

[​IMG]
  3. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    90 HP , 550 lbs. , a Ninja 650 would leave it for dead. :lol3
  4. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Yeah but lets be fair. It was an early 80's, mildly tuned, shaft drive, air cooled, 4 cylinder 600.
  5. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    650 and turbog.
  6. joebar

joebar R.I.P. Richard & Fabrizio

Oddometer:
  7. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's actually one of those turbo-beasts for sale in my city. I would be seriously interrested if the price was something else than $5000!!!
  8. zedXmick

zedXmick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not in 1982
  9. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any 1000 would. The early turbo bikes were a joke. The XN85 too. The best was probably the Kaw TC1000 and it was earlier.
  10. zedXmick

zedXmick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well this thread is titled your rarest-most-unusal-bike you've ever owned... Being an original owner back in the day....Turbo bikes were even rare back in the 80's.....factory turbo bikes were unusual....I did the 83turbo mod to up the boost from 7lbs to 12lbs on my 82. My brother bought a 1985 FJ1100 brand new.....and we had many ,many,many high speed runs from 120mph to top speeds....we would even change bikes and the turbo on full boost would keep even with the FJ1100 every time.....I'd say that a 650cc machine keeping dead even with an 1100cc machine in real world riding ,was mission accomplished. IMHO 80's turbos were indeed fun bikes....no joke.
  11. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend had a Seca turbo that he bought wrecked and created maybe one of the original street fighters. Took off the damaged fairings, standard handle bars, some kind of headlamp. I remember the bike being fast, for the time, and handing poorly.
  12. maicojoe

maicojoe n00b

Oddometer:
    1982 BPR Yamaha TT250 with 330cc engine kit IMG_0066.JPG
  13. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    I was at a bike meet recently and checking out one of these things parked there, in beautiful condition too.
    Some young know-it-all made some smart arse comment about how effing slow it was, only "x" amount of horsepower and so on.

Someone in the crowd asked him what he rode, He replies all smug like "I got an R1 Yammie".

Same person replies " and are there 15 people standing around YOUR bike and talking about it?"

That shut him up real quick........:imaposer
    zedXmick and bomose like this.
  14. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki two-stroke triple.

I had it for a short time, after my road-rash incident. The chassis was so wonky, I got rid of it - at a loss. Didn't help that I was gun-shy from the wipeout.

THAT was my SUPREME BLUNDER. I could probably live a year on the profit I'd make if I sold it today, even not running. But in those days I was a semi-n00b and the Internet didn't exist, and I found I didn't have the nerve to ride. Or the support from the Boss Lady...
  15. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
    Not really that exotic but it was for me
  16. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Ouch
  17. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I think the Ariel Square Four may be the best sounding bike of all.

[​IMG]
    OGOBRacing and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  18. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Years ago I put an ad on CL for "old Honda CB's, any condition". Guy called me up and said he had an old CB750 chopper for sale. I figured it'd be your typical hackjob of long tubes stuck in a stock frame and a hideous King & Queen seat. But he said the paint was shiny, it ran good and he was asking $1,000 and it was titled in his name. Figured it was worth a ride out to see it at least.

Turned out to be a '72 CB750K engine (with a Dyna electronic ignition)in a GME plunger frame with sandcast fork lowers, sandcast front caliper and hubs and unicorn gauge mount. :lol3 I did nothing to freshen up it's looks other than sending the levers to a buddy for engraving ( tattoo artist) and a fresh pair of penta grips. It had a 21" front and a 16" Harley drop center rim outback. PO had the rusty pipes blasted and ceramic coated. Clean as a pin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^ It had forwards AND mids :clap

[​IMG]

PO was a truck driver and found it for sale in Florida, thought it looked cool, threw it in the trailer and brought it to VA home for his wife who hated it. It sat in his garage for 25 years until I bought it. I gave the guy $800, tossed on fresh rubber, went through the carbs/brakes, fresh chain and new wiring. Rode it all summer and had a blast. You can strap a TON of shit to those old tall sissy bars. Starter sprag was noisy, so I just kicked started it. Never gave a second of trouble and ate highway miles better than you would ever believe. Had to sell it next spring to pay taxes :( Fucking miss that bike but the current owner will NOT sell. He has my number, though...

I did clear about $2500 on that bike tho :thumb
    crk, L84dinr and spokester like this.
  19. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll play.

Honda CX650e, never sold in the US. I bought one of these brand new, and a short time later was laid off and had to sell. My memory of this bike was 'colored' on how good this bike really was. At the time though, it was pretty good!

Also had an Daytona Special for a while. Have ridden an RZ500 and thought it was bonkers, until I rode a buddies RG500 Gamma. I'm still looking for one.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would LOVE to own a 500 or 650E. Beautiful bikes!

Charles.