The Really Cheep Bike Challenge <$499

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ADVDucs33, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Back in the early 90s, a coworker said he had a CB900 Custom that he gave up on because he dropped a screw down a spark plug hole. Told him I'd pay him $150 if he had the title for it. Deal done. Got it home, Vetter fariing with some small cracks, torn seat. Pulled the head just enough to grab the screw, torqued the head back down, adjusted the valves. Fired right up on fresh plugs. Balanced the carbs, fixed the fairing, got the seat recovered for $50. Cleaned it up, polished the original paint, rode it a few hundred miles. Sold it a week later, easily for $800.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    Kymco Bet and Win 250cc scooter, $350. Cleaned the carburetor and have been riding it quite often.

Attached Files:

LeMaitre likes this.
  3. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    A friend called me ta-day and asked if I had any interest in a barn find '74 DOHC Honda 450... Absolutely, I'll be right over.

13, 412 miles (maybe) according to the odometer at least, last registered in 2002. All there, plenty of patina and red chrome but I have a thing for vertical twins, well, Any twins especially of the early 70's persuasion. [​IMG]:)

Those bars though. I have a hard time believing that, even as a US variant that the 450 would have come so equipped. The switch gear is wired though the bars so who the Hell would go to that extreme...? They will go.

I will not reveal the price I paid for the 45 however, know that it fits in this thread...

Before in barn find dust and after her first bath in eighteen years... Cleans up well and highlights the issues. All good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Sweet find!! Clean it up, get it back to stock handlebar wise, get it running and it's easily worth $1500 to $2000. Those old early 70s 450 Honda twins are bringing decent money now, in stock or near stock condition. Especially to guys my age, 62, who back in 74 I was just into street bikes and the CB450 twin was a "big" bike.
  5. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    Well if it's fair to consider parts taken from other projects/bikes as no cost, this one would fit. Granted it's not finished. Or near finished. Anywhere near to finished really.

[​IMG]

The only parts I've bought for it are the forks and the seat. It started out with someone calling my bluff about building a hardtail Ducati by giving me a (damaged) narrowcase frame, which made me wonder how far I could get with parts I had sitting around from other project bikes. Yeah.... the narrowcase 250 engine I had sitting around is a stretch but it really was surplus after buying a 350cc for my "real" project.

And that's a slippery slope. Cuz then you add a fender you bought but decided you needed one with a valance. And the sprocket that was the wrong size and yadda yadda yadda...

[​IMG]

So yeah, less than $500 spent on it, but it has benefited from, shall we say, certain privileges due to the crowd it hangs out with. Actually it wouldn't exist if not for those other bikes.

It has sat dormant for years but I really want to get back to it. The initial idea was a counterpoint to the over sized, over powered, over weight, over tired, under braked choppers that were all the rage back in the days of Orange County Choppers, but it took me too long to build. That market imploded before I finished it, and they all moved on to cafe racers. But I still like the concept! (And I already built a narrowcase as a counterpoint to the art project cafe racers, but I had no idea I was doing that when I put it together.)

P.S. Because these things used the engine numbers on the registration, it has a clear title too. The frames had no numbers stamped in them even when new.
    Ozarkroadrunner likes this.
  6. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    IMG_1946.JPG
    1987 Aspencade, drivable, clean title, running rough. Picked up today after seeing it on Craigslist for 10 days listed at $150
  7. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    I got a pile, it’s sitting in TN at my brothers. I can’t cross the border because of Covid. When I can I don’t know what I’ll do, restore or part out. Lots good bits there. D972A799-6D51-4C4F-8554-54ACC5F49B1A.jpeg 1E0C8CE1-BBF0-4B4F-BA7A-0D0FA30AE923.jpeg
    Pezz_gs and Jim K in PA like this.
  8. richarddacat

richarddacat Do enjoy your party

Oddometer:
    Is the trunk off of that bike or is that some fancy upholstery???
  9. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Trunk is on, I believe that is the factory (fancy) upholstery on the passenger seat. The drivers backrest is aftermarket and may be the reason it doesn't match.
    richarddacat likes this.
  10. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    That particular model looks like it would be easy to remove the trunk, not sure, I’ve never seen someone make a F6B out of one. :dunno
  11. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Maybe an F4B. :lol3
    richarddacat likes this.
  12. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    Right :thwak