The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    So in the aftermath of the Makairo Meader, I've pulled the starter motor to check for damage, & sure enough the starter drive clutch bearing is u/s. Anyone got a valeo starter where the magnets have died that they'd like to contribute? Otherwise a new starter drive complete with bearings is USD25, which is pretty achievable. I've fitted a spare starter in the interim.

[​IMG]

I've checked whether I can fit the kickstart, & realised there might have been a reason this wasn't fitted. Note the crack & also the elongation of the fitting. Would need a new kickstart & cotter pin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone got a spare kick start lever?
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve, I've got a starter motor with U/S magnets. The rest of it is OK. So it's here if you want it.

No kick starter parts though.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Cheers. Sent you a PM.
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    OCEAN BEACH RIDE 10TH FEB:
    Earlier this am Adam posted on Adventure Riding NZ's facebook page that he was in Wellington, & was looking for someone to ride with today. A couple of minutes after that, EddieB posted to suggest I might like to do something about that. Small delay, while I actually got out of bed, showered & downed breakfast. Then another delay as my wife caught me going out the door & demanded the dishwasher be unpacked & the washing hung out to dry. Small details.

Met Adam at the BP Horokiwi. Which wasn’t actually pumping gas today...

Excellent ride over the Rimutakas. No big delays, all the cars we came up on pulled over for us. And I finally got to notice the extra grip the roady tyres afforded me. The road itself had some damp patches from overnight rain.

The police random stop at Featherston was an issue for only one of us. Loads of Police stopping traffic both ways. Breathalyser, licence, and Rego & WoF checks.

Coffee & a scone at Everest Cafe at Featherston. That’s had a major refit since I’ve last been thru there. Definitely worth going to. Nice courtyard area to the side too.

[​IMG]

Adam is over from Sydney, spending some time riding around NZ. Just been down South doing Bannockburn. Has missed doing the roads & tracks around the top of the south, but will do that as he heads back to family at Christchurch later. Might catch up with us again for the Central Plateau ride.

Out to Ocean Beach. Not much traffic, a spotless day, & no wind.

[​IMG]

The streams show some scouring, but limited water about (even in the puddles), & the 4WD traffic over the holiday period has firmed up the sandiest portions of the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final section where you cross the last stream to the gate has changed. There is no capacity to link to the upstream portion on the far bank – that’s been washed away. We headed upstream to the beginning of the walking track instead, & avoided that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My riding in this slower stuff was shit today. My head wasn’t in the right place. Gus wasn’t carburetting well just off idle. And the tyre combo just wasn’t filling me with confidence in the loose pee gravel & sand. Despite all that, I do really enjoy that Ocean Beach vibe & scenery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back across the Rimutakas. Have to say that I was going as fast as I have ever gone thru there. Then just after the summit, on a bend, some muppet in a WRX passes me on the left. I have to say I was super pissed. Never even saw him coming, so I wasn’t aware he was there, & certainly didn’t expect a car to be passing (on the left!!@!) there. That had so many possibilities not to end well. He then proceeded to cut up the traffic in front of me. The good thing was that they slowed him down long enough for me to get his registration number. So I called the cops. Generally I would have said ‘fair enough’, & left it there, but this guy was a danger to everyone on the road. Last seen hightailing it thru Kaitoke.

So a mixed day. Liking the roady tyres on the road. The suspension feels nicely dialed in for the road. They (suspension & tyres) just weren't so confidence inspiring in the Ocean Beach conditions. So I’ve ordered a new (Shinko) rear tyre for the Central Plateau weekend. And I’ve work to do on Gus before that.
    Te Hopo, bart-nz, Zebedee and 3 others like this.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAINTENANCE WIP PRE CENTRAL PLATEAU WEEKEND.
    242,376 kms.

BEAN CAN SERVICING:
    Disassembled the bean can to check for at the potential for this being a contributing factor is the poor idle / just off idle performance. The bean can had been tested as good 1996, but had not been internally checked that I am aware of. The bean can was one of the spares that came from Igor.

The internals had suffered from rust, contamination from the breakdown of the foam seals at the front of the can, & a lot of dirt. I was surprised that it operated in that condition.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The drive side of the can. Driven off the cam. The pin was a tight interference fit, with a 'spring' wound around the cut out, to keep the pin from moving. The pin was an arse to drive out. Between the drive & the can there were 2 steel washers sandwiching a fibre washer.

[​IMG]
    Behind the front cover:

[​IMG]
    That plate has a spherical bushing captured

I have also pulled apart the original bean can from Gus (which had damaged bob weight springs), & installed the hall sensor & the bob weights from the advance retard unit from that unit, i.e. made one good unit from two.

[​IMG]
    The two units in pieces, in approximate disassembly order, from left to right.

[​IMG]
    The mess that is the advance retard unit off the 1st (rusty) bean can

40MM CARBS:
    Cleaned the internals. There was still a bit of oil in the diaphragm housing from the Makairo Track tip over.

Dropped the needle clip down to the third groove counted from the top. This will raises the needle, making the idle & just off idle richer. Running 266 needle jets, but will be packing a no of other jets for the Plateau weekend just in case this isn't the final solution. 1 full turn on the mixture screw (3/4 stock).

BRAKES:
    Fitting new EBC FA185R sintered pads, together with a new stainless pin, to try to improve what Mark Signal termed the 'mahogany' front brake. 4.0mm pad depth. The last set were Premier P126 pads, organic, 1/2 used up at 2.0mm, but also wearing cocked to one side.

[​IMG]

Re the brake pin, this is never a good look. Most of this wear was present at the time I did the fork conversion (was on the 'to replace list'). The new DRC replacement has an exterior hex (rather than the stock internal 'allen') fixing, & is considerably longer to accomodate this.

SUSPENSION:
    Lubed the top spherical bearing on the shock, to stop an annoying squeak.

TYRES:
    Fitting a Shinko 805 rear tyre. 11mm great depth at centre. Chosen based on price, & the fact that Mitas E09 tyres are on backorder. However reviews seem good. Need more grip than the Conti escape will offer for the Central Plateau weekend.

GPS:
    Bought an additional mount for the eTrex 20, so I don't have to keep swapping the existing mount to & from the sidecar.
    Te Hopo, Padmei and innathyzit like this.
  6. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    you mean more grip than a half worn anarchy 3 will provide? --- better make sure I ride with plenty of pushers then

Is the Manakau maniac joining us?
  7. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not looking so good for the Manakau marvel. We have a couple of weddings on this weekend that I could quietly duck out of, without looking like too much of a selfish jerk. The 640 is running sweetly at the moment(for a 640), though the back tyre is toast. However with some other issues looming and scorching hot weather creating mayhem in the nursery at the moment, the chances of me getting away are pretty slim. I'll watch this thread and see if I can manage it last minute.

If I'm grounded then I will look forward to Steve's report.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The coming rain should deal to the nursery issues....
  9. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    well its pissing down here - hopefully you are getting a good dollop as well

I hate this baking hot weather - too hot too ride and too hot to work in my shed - so this rain is a welcome relief
  10. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    well the weather is going to have to improve a whole heap before I put my bottom anywhere near a motorcycle seat......

at least its not hot so I shouldn't grizzle
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Just showers here. The weather is supposed to roll over, & we should be getting better weather (but still showers) in the afternoon...
  12. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Have organized a new rear tyre for the 640 in case I could get away. Am caught up in a family event for Saturday now so no wet arse and soggy gloves for me.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not helping, Wayne.

Clearing here. No showers for the last hr. Looking at the Metservice Rain radar, we may have timed our run perfectly, as the front is heading north...
  14. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    I'm just about to unload out of the truck some dry maples that spent last night in the Otaihanga Boat Club. That will usually mean the end of any rain and me having to water them for ages before I put them back out on the wire. Sounds like you're all good to go.
  15. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Showers and breezy up my way. Looks to be clearing (the rain, not the breezy bit).
  16. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    is a bean can a dizzy?
  17. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Airlish is a language under threat as its native speakers are from a particular demographic that is on the decline. That said I think your translation of 'bean can' is probably correct.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Perfect day, no rain, damp gravel so good grip & no dust. Beaconsfield Valley Rd & Watershed Rd would be the highlights...
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    CENTRAL PLATEAU WEEKEND 2016

Friday 19th Feb:
    After a few weeks of sunny & very hot weather that had browned everything off, it was pretty annoying to find that a southerly front was going to bugger up the planned weekend. I dropped the leaving time back 3 hours to let the worst of it roll over. I didn’t fancy riding in a torrent for the day. And some of the roads I’d planned on riding (North Range & Takapari Rds) weren’t appropriate for the conditions.

The Wellington riding crew (all good keen men) included Andy Mac (KTM 640), GT (TTR250), & Stuart Swan (KTM 990).

[​IMG]

Some others made excuses about work commitments & stayed at home. Seen the Mitre 10 DIY add? You don’t want to be that sort...

As it happens, the delay allowed things to settle. We got no rain at all, & it got quite hot. The gravel roads we rode were all dry on top, but damp under the top layer. So great grip & no dust.

[​IMG]

The highlights were Beaconsfield Valley Rd, Waituna-Tapuae Rd, & later Watershed Rd. You know things will be good when you see 'not suitable for large vehicles' signage.

Saturday 20th Feb:
    The focus of the weekend was a ride in the central Plateau area, organised by Eddie from Adventure Riding NZ. We all met at BP Taumaranui at 8.30am, for a run out to Hikimutu Rd, Kawautahi Rd, Oio Rd, thru to the bottom of Fishers Track, for the first of the more challenging sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fishers Track:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Michael Breen

Lunch at National Park, shared with the (surprisingly) non aggressive wasps.

42nd Traverse:
    Work that has been done on the first portion of the track has made it much easier to access, where rutted clay made riding Gus difficult in the past. But further in the track has been scoured out from recent serious rain, & requires careful line selection. On the rockier or gravel sections, the scouring has made erosion ruts running downhill, with big loose rocks making the track tricky in places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Photos courtesy of Michael Breen

The first stream crossing seemed deeper than usual.

I’m not a fan of going down the rock wall. I’m much happier going up. I think I disappointed Eddie by tripodding that. Getting more cautious as I get older. Coached Stuart to do the same after he struggled there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Photos courtesy of Michael Breen

Got water between the clutch plates again on the second stream crossing. No forward momentum. Perhaps I need a new plate, or an oil proof clutch friction plate. Had that issue at Sutherlands in the winter.

After the second stream crossing, things settled down. But there seemed more muddy portions than I remember from last time.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Michael Breen

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Andy Mac was quite keen to get a few of us up to 10 Man Hut. But I’d not topped up gas at National Park, so the gas situation was looking lower than I’d prefer. There were a few takers. I understand that some of the mud puddles were pretty deep.

At the turn off to 10 Man Hut, there was a hunter with 4 or so pig dogs. He was having issues with his quad, & have to say his dogs didn’t seem keen to get near him.

Mark Signal turned up, coming in from the Owhango end, aiming to meet with us.

Rode out with him. That section was is quite good condition, but the bush lawyer & brambles have started to encroach onto the track, so I was getting wacked & scratched a bit. Normally the 4wds would kill off the shoots & tips & leave the track more open.
    Te Hopo, DK Dan and bart-nz like this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, funny you should mention your clutch not working in water because when I was crossing a few rivers the water was fair shooting out the timing plug hole that had the bung missing. Didn't notice any slippage. Related?
    Combatscoot likes this.