The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably not. The water gets in thru the air gap in the bell housing. If you pull in the clutch during a deep water crossing (say where you are trying to pick a line thru large boulders) the water gets between the friction plate & the clutch plates, & causes slippage. Once the bike is getting out a wee way, the clutch grabs, & away we go. You can see it in this video when I go thru.

Te Hopo likes this.
  2. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good photos Steve. Is that with your waterproof point and shoot?
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    There is a mix of photos in that report. Some from my waterproof / dust proof / shock proof P&S camera. Others (which are credited) are from Michael Breen. I use an Olympus Tough TG-3. It uses quite a bright F2 lens, in part because the camera is also supposed to be set up for underwater photography.

I'm pretty sure that Michael's camera was a Tough P&S too.
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    CENTRAL PLATEAU WEEKEND 2016 (2/2)
    Sunday 21st Feb:

Out to Whangamomona to do a loop thru the Old Whangamomona Rd & back out thru the Aotuhia Station. The Aotuhia Station portion had been in doubt because of the weather – mainly because of possible flooding over a ford. No issues on the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Michael Breen

Towards the Aotuhia Station end of the old Whanga Rd there has been considerable reconstruction of the road, after a big chunk washed down into the river during winter.

Actually I found the old Whanga Rd to be in pretty good nick overall. There weren’t any sections that I struggled with. There was a misty rain towards the end of the road that was very pleasant – just enough to be cooling.

[​IMG]
    Mark at the 1st Tunnel

[​IMG]
    Sing after me..'It's just a jump to the left. And then a step to the right. Put your hand on your hips. And pull your knees in tight...'

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Photos by Michael Breen

[​IMG]
    Adam Haar (I rode with him out at Ocean Beach a few weeks ago). Photo by Michael Breen

[​IMG]
    Stuart Swan. Photo by Michael Breen.

[​IMG]
    Andy Mac. Photo by Michael Breen.

[​IMG]
    Phil Johnston. Photo by Michael Breen

[​IMG]
    Some dude I was forced to nursemaid the whole way round. Surprised he made it. What a wally. Really spoiled my day. Photo by Michael Breen

[​IMG]
    Lord, what a good looking bike. Photo by Michael Breen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gus was running poorly, in part because of the heat. Prior to the ride I’d been trying to dial in the off-idle better. I had ended up slightly too rich. This was annoying, as the bike didn’t have the engine braking I was used to, & would run on a bit, which made me use the brakes much more heavily than normal. The situation improved when it was cooler.

Mark was a little challenged by some of the muddier sections given he was still on the Anakee 3 rear tyre. Realistically however, while we took longer to get thru these bits, we managed okay. Standing was also an issue for him. Lower pegs will deal to that. And he needs more compliance in the suspension. This was especially noticeable on the rough track after after the boundary from Aotuhia Station. But he has some cartridge inserts to install at some stage that will deal to the front at least.

At the end of the loop, the group met again at the intersection of Kohuratahi Rd & Ohura Rd. Adam was kind enough to lend me his electric pump to reinflate the tyres. Beats a manual pump hands down, but was a little slow.

[​IMG]

Mark & I went back to the pub for some cooling cokes, then had a spirited ride back into Taumaranui.

I’d decided to stay Sunday night – better than riding back to Wellington after a big day riding. Mark agreed, & Phil from Chch was also keen to stick around & ride back with us.

Monday 22nd Feb:
    Mark wasn’t keen on doing any tracks or challenging rides. Instead we rode Hikimutu Rd again, then out at Owhango, & down to Ohakune for coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rush hour at Owhango

Mark then took us over the Whangaehu Valley. This follows the Whangaehu river, which cuts thru some pretty steep hill country. Lots of clay, & the road is cut into this, so it gets a lot of slips & so lots of maintenance.

Burma Hill Road (which is on the first third of that valley) is pretty corrugated at present. Paralever GSs don’t do corrugations (the driveline is comparatively heavy, & the suspension struggles to allow the rear wheel to hook up). Better to just hook it up into a higher gear & drift over it.

Lunch at Hunterville at 'Relish Cafe'. The cafe has just changed hands, & the new management needs to recognise that you need to cater to your customers needs to get return custom. Pity. I think that cafe (which was excellent) is going to sink...

Thru Vinegar Hill Rd, round the back of Asshurst, Levin & then home.

By Shannon, Gus was going much better, but Mark’s bike decided to have carb problems in sympathy. Probably just a blocked jet, but the jet holder was jammed on too tight, so a job for a socket at home. Still allowed him to limp along at 90 ks.

Amazing amount of commute traffic coming out of Wellington.

Pretty pleased to be home. My feet were cooking in the Alpinestars, making for a very special brew, given they had been wet since the 42nd. Stinky...
  5. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Has Marks still got the forks set up for when the bike was a PD? If so then that is probarbly the issue with his front end.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Hadn't thought of that, but probably, yes.

1228 Kms for the ride. 243,551 Kms total.

Tyres & other changes:
    Shinko 805 - Found this good & grippy on road & gravel. But lacked off road side grip when Gus was threatening to slide into ruts on the 42nd. Wore from 11mm to 8mm during the 1228kms we rode.

MT21 front tyre - Part worn. This has worn badly over the 1000 kms, due mostly to limited engine braking over the trip. Noticed the turn in & handling weren't as good as the TKC80, but was much better in the more off roady spectrum.

Front brakes (EBC Sintered Pads) - were initially much better than the organic Premiers, but seem to have lost the bite they initially enjoyed. Still a good improvement
  7. msmckeon

msmckeon Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer:
    My recommended go to in this area is Sugar Plum on SH1 north of Marton.
  8. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    I was in that traffic when you guys went past. Wasn't expecting a wave though. I had the windows closed and the air con on so I missed the pong from your boots.

It has become quite an issue at peak times now, mainly because of the construction at the Raumati end of the expressway. Will be a relief when the damn thing opens.
  9. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    thanks for the write up, hats off for getting those big girls thru a wet 42nd
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Nope, I went up the right rut, & made it thru okay. Eddie's left foot peg dug in, hence the photos.

Sorry I didn't make it thru Taihape. I knew you were working Fri - Sun.

Eddie has given me the frankenstein starter that was originally in the sidecar tug when he got it. The frankenstein starter is a bodge up of Enduralast / Valeo BMW / Valeo Peugeot parts that Igor worked up. It wasn't working when Eddie got the R80, so he replaced it with the Enduralast starter that's now in Gus. So I may be able to scavenge the part from the Frankenstein spare. It remains to be seen.

If I can't do that, then there is another excuse for a ride...

I'm quite keen to get the Valeo back up & running - it spins the motor faster than the Enduralast, & it fired better with it.
  12. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Freakin awesome again Steve! I'm reading this from Royston hospital after getting some hardware removed from my leg. You got any use for some titanium bits n pieces for the super tanker mate?
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  13. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    The forks are as God intended them to be on a GSPD. Are you referring to the spring spacers or summit else?

Forks work fine on road and gravel but are shit on washboard and rough surfaces - I felt like someone had been jackhammering my shoulders and arms.

Will definitely try next time I'm in the area cuase I always seem to end up in that area....
    I've never even noticed the place when I've gone past

Its surprising just how badly rooted the traffic flows are becoming. Took an hour and a half to get home from Wellywood the other week at 7.30pm. fooking road works.

I'm surprised you couldn't smell his socks - I could smell them and I was riding ahead of him.

I didn't - I only joined the ride on Saturday arvo.

So are you otherwise recovered from your mountain bike incident?

Really happy with how the front of the bike looks - slightly old skool roady airhead

[​IMG]

just got to sort out the back end, and the brakes, and the suspension and.... and...
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Yup mostly shoulder still plays up a tad but then it always has.

Titanium hardware going cheep hardly used.........
    image.jpeg
    bart-nz likes this.
  15. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    Where's the broken bit off that weird looking thing?
  16. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Was talkin bout the spacers and preload. The forks are set up for a lot more weight up front than you now have, and they just added an extra spacer to cope. Check your preload on the spring, its real easy on these. Start with 10mm and experiment from there. I think mine has about 35-40mm static sag with me sitting on it. Thats with 1.0kg/mm racetech springs.
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Dunno how Racetech rate their fork springs. Seems off compared to measured spring rates elsewhere. Stock is about 0.48kg/mm.
  18. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Not sure but I used the racetech chart with my weight etc and with about 15mm preload they are awesome. Tested in anger for the first time on the dusty, and I was very glad I had them fitted. Nicer on the road too. They are lineal rate.
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    hopefully not in my foot.....no it was custom fitted when they put it in. see the craftsman like fashion the additional loop link has been busted off with.....only the best will suffice in HB don't ya know bro :bubba
  20. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    dr's make some of the most expensive windchimes you'll ever see out of that stuff