The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've already been to Seaview to pick up the truck and the first load of trees, and still nothing's been published.

[​IMG]

After a day on the 640 the 950 feels like a smooth limo.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Aren't you glad you took the 640 though?

What happened to all your photos. They seem to drop off fast...
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Takapari & North Range Rd 11/02/17:

Matt posted on Facebook he was keen on a ride, & to hook up with some of the Wellington riders. We hadn’t caught up since 2012 for the WAR ride, (though we have chatted on Facebook) so I was quite keen to do that. The logistics of that took a bit of doing though. Unfortunately due to timing I didn’t get to invite everyone I should have. And organising those that were invited – well herding cats comes to mind. But it all worked on the day

Met Mark at Waikanae, & Wayne at Shannon. Compulsory Horseman Cafe for pre-ride coffees. That’s definitely changed hands. All the horse ribbons are gone. The really good food has vanished. My cheese scone was really pretty substandard. Time to find a new meet point.

Met with Matt & Cameron at BP Blue Moon at Palmerston North. The plan for the day – Takapari Rd following by a side serving of North Range Rd (after coffee at the Bridge Cafe) – Tasty...

Pretty decent day for it – little wind, not too hot, minimal cloud.

[​IMG]

The ride up to the Ruahine Forest Park from the farm gates seemed more cut up than usual. Takapari Rd itself was more compacted than I’ve seen for a while – less big loose stuff around. The last downhill to the A Frame hut didn’t seem as onerous as normal. But that might be because Gus is working well with the upped compression. Takes a load off the brakes when you can just idle downhill.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Manakau.KTM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bigger challenges come after the A-Frame hut. The 1st downhill is certainly a test of your commitment – even better coming back up. Then the track shoots off to the right.

[​IMG]

There is a culvert / washout there that takes a bit of finesse. Cameron & I both needed a bit of assistance getting a start & traction there.

After that the track smoothes out for a bit until the last decline to the end of the track. Matt was exploring elsewhere (stuck up a muddy dead end), so Cameron was leading by default, & bravely led on a final rutted downhill. He took that section all in his stride. The rest of us looked at the descent & decided discretion was the better part of valour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Panning out to give a sense of scale. Steep. Looking down over Dannevegas territory.

There was an older couple MTB’g the track. We made a bet we’d beat them back to the A-Frame hut. The final result was closer than our egos would feel entirely comfortable with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The (now) uphill to the A-Frame hut had a snotty initial section, which required a bit of team building to traverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride down from there seemed almost anti-climatic. Certainly any issues with loose ascents / descents had been firmly put to bed.

[​IMG]

On the ride back from Takapari Rd towards Ashhurst the guys must have wondered what I was doing - I had a play with the mid range & top end of Gus – I hadn’t done that to date, pending getting carbs dialled in. Very cool.

Cameron left us to it from Ashhurst – other commitments. The rest of us cruised thru the gorge to ‘Beyond the bridge’ for their choice of refreshments.

[​IMG]

Matt bailed then, so that left me, Wayne, & Mark to take on North Range Rd. That seemed to be both drier, & to have deeper 4WD ‘puddles’ than I recall it. Maybe the 4WDs have finally carved thru the old gravel road base. The joke about needing a snorkel seemed a whole lot less funny at one point.

[​IMG]

Home by 6.30pm.

Matt has also dropped a heap of other photos & video that he took over on Facebook.
    moto74, bart-nz, Underground and 2 others like this.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_3960.JPG Awesome Steve, haven't seen Matt since that last epic WAR ride either...... wonder how a Tiger would go on it :D
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    It's always a question of getting the power down. Both times I've been in snotty stuff with Tigers, it's been the gearing / need to rev that's hindered them. No problem once they are rolling.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    yup they don't do 1st gear technical too well.....that desert sand section on the WAR would be fine with the right tire and some herbies..
  8. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    thanks for belatedly getting the ride report up.

North Range Rd was fun although I must have hit a few puddles with a bit too much enthusiasm as when I pulled out to pass a car on a short straight going down the Pahiatua Track all I got was a big bwooaaarrr as the bike drank all the water sloshing around in the airbox. I cleaned all the rest of the muddy water out of it today.

If you lower your pegs how do you get around your boots hitting the ends of the center stand?
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    You get used to the boot thing, and if the centrestand springs are weak you get a wee tap on your heels when you go over a bump too fast.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Wee tip I picked up over on Farcebook.

Replace the duckbill valve at the back of the airbox with a tubeless valve. The issue with the duckbill is that as it gets old, the tension comes off the 'lips', & then it lets unfiltered air & fine dust into the airbox. The Aussie experience is under those circumstances the right cylinder wears out faster than the left.

Take the valve core out, then replace the valve cap. If you need to clear the airbox after drowning, unscrew the cap.
  11. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    Nice, almost makes me wish I was in the North Island....
  12. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After looking at those videos I'm certainly pleased that I didn't try the 950 up there. With its big fat 180 rear trail attack tyre I'd have been polishing the greywacke for sure.

Those 2 old duffers look like they're waiting for the dining room to open.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Here's the other missing video of Matt & Cameron's climb.

Night Falcon likes this.
  14. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff guys. I obviously don't spend enough time on facebook, so missed this ride. No drama. Might go for a ride up there in the next week or two.

You can see that summer hasn't kicked in around here yet. Things are still green.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    That was what I meant about timing & logistics. In hindsight I should have invited you, DazzaDM, & Andy Mac. Apologies that that didn't happen.
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, was thinking I hadn't heard anything about it, but then I don't do Farcebook... Would have enjoyed the outing for sure, but was paddling the kayaks on Taupo.

I have replaced the tyres on the Tenere, and worked out the issue with it's indicators. So almost ready to get it certified. Had another test ride yesterday. Definitely different from the Bemaha. Will have to test it up Takapari....
  17. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Ta. yup saggy centerstand springs are a feature of old beaten airheads....

I blanked off the duckbill hole during the 'tidy up' - I'll replace the blanking bung thingy with the tire valve sometime soon
    probably need to find a set of snorkels for the air cleaner lid - thats prolly how the water got in

Your travel permit will be rejected so don't try heading north

I look particularly shattered in that photo - Its been a while since I've done the 'adventure ride' thing and I'm obviously out of training - was quite knackered the next day

Wot about heading down and spending a day exploring the mungatooks? I haven't been in there for a year or two so am keen for a look - or I'm happy to head back up takapari rd anytime.

Where is this farcebook page with the videos?
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    let us know when ya go Bart.....might see if we can get the lads out for jaunt if ya wants some company?
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm working Dayshifts for a couple of months so should be able to plan a day down your way. Ihaven't been in to the Mangatooks, so would be good.

Once the Tenere is registered, I will be heading to Takapari, no matter what.

Steve, Great ride report. and Great photos.
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  20. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to Stephen Clark's FaceBook page Mark - I had thought he'd posted on Eddie B's (Adventure Riding NZ FB Page) https://www.facebook.com/stephen.clark.52206?fref=ts - watching your groups riding with interest - hoping I might be able to join you all before Winter on my DR