The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, Matt's post was here. He posted in the Adventure Riding NZ Facebook page. I linked all of the video across into the ride report. Matt had additional photos.

In addition, there are further photos I took but did not post over here
  2. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    TAIHAPE & BACKCOUNTRY - 25th Feb 17
    Forgot my camera this ride, so all photos are from my or Manakau.KTM's cellphones.

First time on the new McKays Crossing to Peka Peka expressway. Very nice. 18kms of four lane smooth flowing loveliness. Only a partial run going up, but coming home I did the whole thing. Created a totally different impression of the Kapiti dunes & wetlands. Can’t wait for Transmission Gully to be completed.

Took the Waikanae off ramp to pick up MarkS. Because he needed gas, we went into the township, & then used what was SH1 to head north. Eerie. No traffic. I wonder how the Waikanae retailers will fare with the loss of passing trade. I guess they’ll still get the train commuters.

Met Manakau.KTM at Manakau (strange that), & rode on to Asshurst (still prefer Bart's spelling). Stopped at the Fusion Cafe, where we were to meet DazzaDM. Needs a veranda for street appeal. Lovely potato top pie, but the coffee wasn’t great. Why is it unusual to get top food & coffee in the one place?

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Manakau.KTM

DazzaDM arrived just as we were finishing up

[​IMG]
    The beginning of Zig Zag Rd. DazzaDM & ManakauKTM

Out via Zig Zag / Finnis / Ridge Rds. Ridge Rd had just had some work done. High crown, soft sand / silt & gravel piled into the middle of the road, & no clear wheel tracks to follow. It was also getting hot. Not really condusive to enjoyable riding (or reliable steering for that matter). But would have been great on the sidecar, where traction isn't a requirement. Met a huge truck & trailer unit with a bulldozer on the back that took up the whole road, fortunately in a good place. But by just after half way thru, we flagged it, & bailed through London Ford Rd. Seal thru to Pembertons Corner, then out to SH1 & Mangaweka.

[​IMG]
    DazzaDM. Photo Courtesy of Manakau.KTM

[​IMG]
    MarkS. Photo Courtesy of Manakau.KTM

[​IMG]
    Box.a.bits. Photo Courtesy of Manakau.KTM

[​IMG]
    MarkS, looking much happier now that nasty Ridge Rd gravel is behind him

We stopped at Papa Cliff Cafe in Mangaweka for more coffee & lunch. For me, that was a vension burger, MarkS a bacon & egg burger. Good coffee. Recommended.

[​IMG]
    Manakau.KTM (I'm sure it didn't taste that bad...) & DazzaDM in the Papa Cliff Cafe, Mangaweka. Recommended stop.

[​IMG]
    MarkS stowing his foldaway heavy trailer

DazzaDM took us out Te Kapua Rd, then up a non-maintained clay road Wairepu East Rd thru to Tiraukawa Rd. I should imagine that track would be near impassable in winter. In summer it’s dried rock solid, which meant some ruts grabbed the front wheel, & where stock had been, it’d pugged up

[​IMG]
    Wairepu Rd East. Photo Courtesy of Manakau.KTM

Then up to Ngahuinga Rd, & through private farm tracks across to Ridge Rd, exiting nr the Microwave Tower.

[​IMG]
    DazzaDM & Manakau.KTM. MarkS is playing Wilson again & is (ir)responsible for the extra appendages.

There were 2 more technical portions in there – coming out of a gully, climbing up over seeping clay papa rock. Fortunately (after the lead rider had a couple of attempts at that, giving a great display of sideways riding skills), we found the safer right side line, which had more traction.

[​IMG]
    DazzaDM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then another jump over a front wheel swallowing rut. I saw Manakau.KTM lose (rear) traction climbing out that. Totally did my head in, so I tried to walk the bike across, which was absolutely the wrong move. Adventure riding is a confidence trick. I totally felt like a gumby rider right about then.

Must say that the view from the intersection of Ridge Rd / Pukenaua Rd is hugely panoramic (no photo unfortunately).

DazzaDM very kindly took us back to his home at the abbatoir for a Lemon Lime & Bitters. He’s put a shit load of work into that building. It’ll be spectacular when it’s finished.

[​IMG]

It was after 5.30pm by the time we left Taihape. Rode Mangaweka / Rangiwhia / Kimbolton on the way home, riding into the setting sun, trying to avoid SH1, & the expected traffic volumes (& diversions) from the Air Tattoo at Ohakea.

On the long straights after Kimbolton a small bug splatted on my visor right between my eyes. I momentarily felt sorry for it, & turned my head so it would be blown off. Instead, it was dragged in a horizontal line right across my sight lines, very slowly being disembowelled. I imagined the tiny insect screams. I eventually lost sight of it but have no reason not to believe it finally was discarded from the helmet somewhere around my left ear, about 10 kms after the initial incident.

Some time later a bigger bug, maybe a blowfly, made a proper job of it right in the middle of the visor. Splat. No movement from that one.

Just outside Shannon, heading for the twin passing lanes, & MarkS was passing a Ute. There was an explosion of plastic around Mark. I thought someone had thrown something at him, maybe annoyed at his passing. However a wee way up the road he did the Aussie haka, & discovered his credit cards & cash had exited the scene. So we backtracked. Very luckily Wayne found the first card, which lead to further discoveries on the other side of the road, including $50 he’d 'forgotten' he had. There was no finders fee, which was very disappointing...

Home at around 8.30, just after dark. Given the 7.30am start, a long day. 549 kms. A dusty bike smelling vaguely of cowshit.

Maintenance:
    Still haven’t got the jetting quite right. Previously the left side has been good & the right side rich. That seems to have swapped sides now. Maybe I need to buy new jets. I’m thinking one needle jet is more worn than the other, & I’ve swapped them around after the last jetting trial.
  3. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Instead of getting on with GST I decided to procrastinate and go for a ride down the new expressway. Bloody awesome. Lots of people out using the amenity parts, walking, cycling and even some on horses.
  4. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Well you cant turn right around and head back home - we don't need your sort sightseeing around these parts

oh and thanks for helping me find my lost bits and pieces
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes, I can imagine losing your bits & pieces on the road would be uncomfortable. And then getting your mates to help find them just feels.... somehow wrong.
    Zebedee likes this.
  6. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    I don't care how many people handle my bits and pieces as long as I get them back intact at the end
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    2017-02-26 23.01.06.png 2017-02-26 23.00.14.png 2017-02-26 23.02.21.png Great ride report Steve. It was nice to be out riding again. I thought I should help out with some photos....
    Obviously they show what a great day it was.
    20170225_150633.jpg
    By this time of the day, the temperature was pretty hot and some shade was required.
    Box'a'bits and Manakau.KTM like this.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soon after, I caught marks playing wilson again... 2017-02-26 23.03.42.png
    A bit silly of marks to throw his bits all over the road like that. But good to hear you made it home alright.
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work lads. There was lots of riding going on this weekend...I had to pass on two offers in the Bay as I had a pressing engagement in Auckward with the Bride......I hate motorway traffic!!!!
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Given the equation N+1 = the ideal number of motorcycle, & that both of my BMWs have 200k+ kms on the engines, I thought the garage was over due for a new motorcycle. I have the nod from Mrs Box'a'bits. So I'm having (a brand new) one delivered Tuesday. Quite a lot of excitement in the Box'a'bits household really...

Thanks to the Team at Motorad for your help with this...

Mr Bell, you need not add your tuppence here....:nono
    Zebedee and igormortis like this.
  11. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    An ORANGE one ??
  13. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    And a name change to the thread?
  14. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    new scooter?
  15. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    betcha its for Catherine
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Mark, you just take all the fun out of this.... Where all the wild guessing. Where's the 'I think you should get...'.

Yes, every human member in this family now has a motorcycle (some even have multiples). I guess the cat will be lining up next.

Black Vespa LX125ie due for delivery early next week. Miss Box'a'bits is very excited. Needs to do something about getting her licence now though. Mr Box'a'bits is feeling a bit of burn in his wallet...
    Underground and young1 like this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I thought you'd at least get a bmw scooter... you know the one with safety bars...
    :toney You realise miss Boxabits will be expected to come on some of these rides on it too...
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    On 11" front & 10" rear wheels, I believe it will be somewhat compromised in anything beyond 'smooth' city & motorway streets.

I thought BMW stopped making motorcycles after 1996?

The new one is air cooled if that's any comfort....
    dazzadm likes this.
  19. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something like this?

[​IMG]
    dazzadm and Night Falcon like this.
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Almost exactly like that - but black...with smooth tyres & without the frame bracing & other modifications...and a different engine. And different bodywork.

Other than that, entirely Dakar ready. :D
    globalt38, Zebedee and Manakau.KTM like this.