The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure Supporter

Oddometer:
    the Alpha Romeo of motorbikes.....they knew it was always gonna need heaps of mending so they made fixing them a design feature :imaposer

sorry lads too much tramadol tonight :D
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    MOTHERS DAY

Out on Gus for the 1st time in an age (not counting commuting). Heaps of traffic out for Mothers Day, but surprisingly got an unobstructed run over the Rimutakas. The weather was much clearer over in the Wairarapa, but obviously they’d had a frost or heavy dew.

Lambs fry & black pudding sausage, with caramelised onion on a bed of mashed potato for brunch at Martinborough, washed down with a large latte. No photo’s at eleven – I’d eaten it before I thought about it.

Out via Longbush Rd, then thought about mushrooms, so back up Millars Rd. Just caught the girls at Parkvale packing up, but managed to get away with 2.0kgs of flats & 1.0 kg of button mushrooms. What better gift for Mum than to share the spoils (1/2 each). Edible fungus, rather than more traditional non edible dead plant sexual organs.

Bit of a magical mystery tour to PNth, via Mauriceville, Dreyers Rock Rd, Mangamahoe Central Rd & Mangaoranga Rd, thru to Ekatahuna. Gus was running great, except for the slight leak from the final drive seal. Then out Mangamaire to Pahiatua. Had some cars trying to keep with me there. As if...

[​IMG]

Time with mum, then home via SHI. Massive queues from well before MacKays Crossing thru to Pukerua Bay. Home at 6.15pm to a roast lamb meal. Mushrooms tomorrow night.
    Manakau.KTM, innathyzit and Mark_S like this.
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    where was the photo taken?
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gus looked pretty good when you were heading through Palmy round mid arvo :D
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Millars Rd
    Cheers.

BTW, Igor & Penny De Borst are closer to embarking on another trip thru the Americas. There'll be three of them this time, Igor on the Battle Panda, Penny on her own bike & I assume Igor's brother (?) on another GS. The blog is over here is you want to follow that.
  6. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Odd - I know that road pretty well but I can't pick where you took the photo

looks like your looking west and I thought Millers went north-south

perhaps I need to go and investigate.........
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The first ridge line after you leave Longbush Rd, on the northern side. I've just checked the GPS. I could have tagged the photo too, if I'd had that turned on (I forget to do that). Millars Rd runs Northwest. Look slightly different in google street view - some of the greenery has grown. The photo also makes the 1st bend seem sharper than it is. But pretty pleased with how that shot turned out. Gives a real good feel for the day.
  8. cold comfort

cold comfort Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM looks very familiar. I recall being there at the time in inclement weather on the way to Mavora lakes.
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Ocean Beach - 1st Jul 17

Last minute ride decision to join a Chris Adams organised ride. Met at Caltex Rimutukas at the gentlemanly hour of 10.00am. Ride participants were Chris (DR650), Steve (KLR650), Brent (KLR650), Neil (WR250R), & me, Box’a’bits (R100GS).

I’d been having carb flooding issues on the left carb, but thought I’d sorted it by dropping the float bowl & allowing things to flush through. But no, arrived at Rimutex, & immediately started dribbling. Although thinking about it, maybe Gus was just in lust with the Valkerie we parked next to.

So a laid back theme for the ride

Loads of Lions supporters leaving Wellington, some in Campervans, others sweating off the hangovers on cycles. Busy on the hill, but we managed to cut a path through. A little damp on the road, but no real issues

Coffee & a savory scone at Everest Cafe at Featherston. Nicer sitting outside.

The ride out to Ocean Beach was scenic with moody clouds sitting down over the hills, & no wind. Dropped tyre pressures just before the seal ran out. Joined there by Richard, on his Motard KTM.

[​IMG]

The track at Ocean Beach was rougher than normal – they’ve obviously had some weather over there. Past the Doc Camp the puddles were much higher than normal – we just ploughed thru.

Unfortunately the ride ended before the scree slip – because of a new slip. We could perhaps have gotten thru’ that – but the consequences for getting it wrong were high. We could also have gone along the beach under the slip – but the tide was coming up.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy Steve Mahar

[​IMG]

Chris put up his drone – here’s a link to the footage.

Raw Drone footage of the slip from Chris Adams

The float issue came back to bite me. Most of my tank of gas had disappeared. So while Steve, Chris & Neil decided to re route to the outlet of Lake Onoke, Brent & I decided to call it a day & shoot back to Featherston.

Hit reserve just coming down the first sealed hill after Ocean Beach, but made it back okay. Good job we didn't get further along the track.

I understand Neil & Richard also did the Rimutaka Pylon track on the way back.

Back home, the outlaws had arrived, so that was a good excuse for some garage time. I pulled the left carb, & found a small piece of fuel line rubber (I'd just replaced the fuel lines) lodged above the float needle. So hopefully that issue is now resolved. I have no wish to become the latest BMW suicide bomber on the morning commute....
    Night Falcon, bart-nz, Mark_S and 3 others like this.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAINTENANCE JUL / AUG 17:
    248,267 kms
    Voltage regulator / rectifier:
    I use an Enduralast permanent magnet alternator, in part because that allows a higher charge at lower RPM than the stock Electro Magnet Bosch alternator, useful in the commute, & also on slower trails.

A few weeks ago I noted that my voltage rectifier / regulator ('R/R') was playing up. The charge light was coming on at unexpected times during my commute. When I got time in the workshop, & ran it with a voltmeter, it was over charging the battery (18v at 2500 rpm).

I’ve since replaced the Ducati Energia rectifier / regulator with a Shindengen FH022aa R/R. There’s a write up in the main Airhead forum here. The advantages to me are:
    • Updated mosfet shunts, which run cooler & are more efficient;
    • Charges at a higher rate than the Bosch or the EME Ducati R/R – which is better for the AGM battery
    • It has auto over heat protection. Rather than burn out, like the SCR shunt are wont to do, the system will shut down until it cools – which means it should last.
    The Ducati Energia R/R was slighty smaller than the replacement Shindengan unit. I was able to site that under the relay box near the spine of the frame. With the Shindengan there just wasn’t room there, so I have relocated it on the LHS, between the subframe & main frame, on a stainless plate. Aluminium would have been better as a heat soak, but that was what I had in the workshop. This is connected to the frames using ‘P‘ clamps. It should be better for airflow there too.

[​IMG]

Battery:
    The last battery I had in Gus was a Century PS12180, purchased cheap from Supercheap Blenheim just over 2 years ago at the start of the NIIS. That was to replace a Motobatt 51814 that had died at the beginning of that trip, with a crack in the case.

I’d noted that Century battery was on the way out when attempting to start Gus in the colder mornings. It wasn’t holding full charge, floating at circa 12.5v, so not completely shot, but still not enough to spin Gus over happily. The additional hammering from the dodgy voltage regulator probably didn’t help things. The deciding factors for replacement were underperformance under load (starting) & not holding full charge despite overnight top ups.

I’ve replaced it with a new Motobatt MTBx30U battery. I’ve gone up from a 22ah battery, mainly to give a better reserve, more CCA, but at the expense of weight. Here's a link across to Gus's battery history

Volt meter:
    A downside of the Shindegan R/R is that there in no provision for the charge light. That was effectively a legacy of the Bosch system in any event, but at least it gave some indication that there was charging going on.

I have replaced this with a Sparkbright Eclipse LED Voltmeter. This has been wired into the convenient (but unused) BMW heated grip connector, which supplies switched power & a ground.

I have used the 8mm LED / 12 mm bezel – that fits nicely in the Vapor speedo dash housing (with a small amount of self fusing tape packing). It's the bottom left in this photo.

[​IMG]

I also have the smaller 5mm led / 8mm bezel, which is less obtrusive, & will go on the sidecar.

The voltmeter operates as a 3 colour LED, with some circuit logic behind it. Red flashing is low battery, amber is better, green is good, green & red flashing is overcharging. There is a table for the voltage levels triggering those warnings.

Here's a you tube video of it in operation - from 2.30 mins if you are in a hurry. Pity it's a KLR, which sends all kinds of wrong signals.

The LED has an auto dimming function which operates dependent on ambient light levels. This means that the LED is visible on bright days, & is not too bright in the dark.

Testing gives me confidence that the battery is being charged even when I am trickling thru traffic at low revs, with my headlight on. Next step is to try with the heated grips on.

Heated Grip:
    I was the beneficiary of a donated LHS heated grip. This replaces one whose resister melted its way thru the grip 2 years ago (during the NIIS), & which nearly caused a grip fire on Sutherlands track later that year. Nice to have functioning heated grips again.

Clutch cable:
    Commuting Gus is highlighted a few maintenance issues. One with a the sticky clutch cable. I’ve cleaned & lubed this with CRC 556. I suspect rust was entering / forming at a crushed portion of the cable (where the triples trapped that against the frame). I’ve since re rerouted that, & covered the damaged portion of the cable sheath with heat shrink.

Greasing the pivots & lever also made the clutch much nicer to use.

Swap to 32 mm Carbs:
    I am in the process of swapping Gus's 40mm carbs to 32 mm carbs
    DK Dan, Night Falcon, Zebedee and 2 others like this.
  11. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Will be interesting to see if the 32mm's are more economical.
  12. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My money is on very little change, if any ... :-)

However, I'm sure that Steve will document his findings meticulously for our education ... :beer
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We want proper statistical analysis and graphs to show the gains and losses of the 2 systems:deal
    Zebedee likes this.
  14. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    Are you ok Stephen ? this is starting to get a little bit deep for me.....
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Gus has definitely become like Grandad's axe. There is less & less of the original left. Got a box of parts in, so spent today in the garage.

Swap to 32 mm carbs:

I am in the process of swapping from 40mm to 32mm carbs. This is driven by a couple of factors:
    • My research indicates that the 32 mm carbs have better bottom end flow, which means more low end torque / better carburetion. Given that’s where I use Gus the most, that sounds good to me;
    • I have a set of 32 mm carbs in my spares from the R80 motor (that the sidecar came with);
    • I want the 40mm carbs for the sidecar. With the sidecar, I use a much lower gearing, so the chair is usually revving higher – where the 40mm carbs shine;
    • I have had unresolved issues with Gus’s orginal 40mm carbs - just couldn’t get a reliable idle from them. I suspect an internal blockage / partial blockage in the carb body. Until I can sort that, I’m not inclined to reuse those.
    The inlet stubs just screw into the head. Both the 32mm & 40mm stubs are 36mm at the heads. The 40mm has a taper from the carb. The older stubs for the 40mm carbs were a shit to remove. Eventually I made a tool to use the slots to twist them off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To allow the swap you need (at minimum):
    • 32 mm stubs
    • inlet rubber joiners
    • 32mm carbs
    • Airbox to carb elbows. You can reuse the airbox rubber joiners
    • R80GS throttle cable for 32 mm carbs. The ferrule to nipple length is shorter in the 32 mm carbs, as the carb body is shorter. The 32mm R80 monos cable I had were too short. The R100GS throttle cables for the 40mm carb were at the far end of their adjustment on the 32 mm carbs.
    [​IMG]

Refurbed the carbs o'rings, & replaced the jet needle.

[​IMG]

Photo compares the worn jet needle against a new one.

The 32 mm carb choke disc fuel inlets were blocked, so I have replaced those with some off Gus's 40mm carbs (same fittings). The old discs will need to spend some time soaking to remove the blockages.

Gus is running again. Baseline settings were copied from Gus's 40mm carbs - I figure the throttle bore wouldn't come into play until WFO. However the carbs were running slightly rich - so I've dropped the needles down one clip (to 3rd up from the bottom). They are nicer to balance, & seem less sensitive to this than the 40mm carbs.

Apparently the throttle cam gears are different between the 32 mm & 40 mm carb bikes. Certainly the throttle has a shorter pull to WFO, but I have the full cable pull 'as is', so I'm not too worried about this.

At this stage I haven't modified the carbs to improve wading depth.

Tyres:
    The front TKC80 is scalloping, but not too bad. Ample grip. A good compromise tyre, which works well in dirt or on the seal. This was a 2nd hand tyre, so I have no idea as to the mileage.

The rear Shinko 805 has 6,251 kms on it & still has 5mm tread. Started at 11.00mm tread depth, so say 1,041km/mm. So another 3,123 of life to the end of legality. It should run to 9,374. Officially the best wearing tyre I have used, & cheap. Grips well on the road & gravel, but limited side grip in mud. But I can forgive that.

What's next:
    The 40mm carbs are back on the sidecar tug, & I've swapped in Gus's old battery (the tug's Motobatt 51814 was a bit more shot than Gus's one). It's a reluctant starter with that.

I really should switch the throttle cables across to the nicer 40mm venhills from Gus.

Maybe WoF this week.
    dazzadm likes this.
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    The needles on Basil were actually concave. No wonder he was taking 8 litres per 100km.
    dazzadm and Box'a'bits like this.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Dear Aunt Daisy.

It’s been a while – I mean falling to the middle of page 2 is almost unheard of...But that isn’t what I am writing about. I am concerned about my friend Gus. He just hasn’t been the same since he became aware that he may be going to be relegated to sidecar tug duties.

Setting the scene for you, I am beginning to think he may have have been badly influenced by the former R80 tug. That bit me badly when I was removing the chair. The 2nd degree burn on my leg from the left header is taking a while to heal. Thanks for your concern. I’ll try not to wear shorts in that situation again.

The G/S that has recently come into the garage seems rather bad tempered, & has made a point of making a nuisance of himself, deliberating tripping me on several occassions. He also runs poorly, & has made a mess on the garage floor. I can see he has had an abused life – it may take some time to put him back on the right track.

Possibly having the carcass of an R100RT spread over the garage floor is unsettling everyone. I will need to move that on as soon as possible.

The harmony that was in the garage just a few weeks ago seems to have evaporated entirely, but given the above, I guess I can understand it. My fault. I won’t make the same mistakes again.

Coming back to Gus, since the demise of the sidecar he has been reinstated to commute duties. He does that passably well, most of the time. Just yesterday he lofted his front wheel when a Porsche Cayenne got a little cheeky off the lights. But more typically he has become a bit sullen, & recalcitrant just off idle. And in these hotter summer days he has been ‘pinking’ when I ask for a bit more from him. Today I pulled his plugs to check his health. And well, what I saw appalled me. I am very concerned at what I see. You recall he had some surgery a while ago, with new valves & guides, some help in the ignition dept, & a healthy compression increase. It’s a male thing. He just needed to be a little bit...bigger.

Well, I now fear he may have returned to his old drinking habits.

Are these bottom plugs entirely normal? And what on earth am I to do now.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bottom Left

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bottom Right

Kindest regards, your concerned reader, Box.a.bits
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know how jealous these bikes get when we don't spend enough time with them.

Obviously the little R80 needs a little gentle discipline to get back in control of its self.

As for Gus, he's obviously needs more time with you to feel loved again:-)
  20. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plugs are to cold