The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    looks like a different bike than the beaten old dunga that you brought back from the south island

are those the forks from Gus or a different set?
  2. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good. My painter very kindly pulled the 2 small dints out of my 19 litre tank where the usd forks touch. When and if I fit it they will reappear again. Would not worry about it. Just touchs.

Have you thought about the Phil modification to the speedo housing. Much better idea than standard system for getting into that area.

I'm still worried about the power to weight ratio. Those things hanging on the wall, have you thought about dusting them off. May assist.
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's coming together nicely. Not a lot of the old bike left on it.
    From Gus. The front wheel & brake are also from Gus. Gus will get the KTM forks sitting on the wall, & the 18" wheel I swapped in. The KTM forks have a 25mm axles so a stronger set up for the sidecar.
    Yes, the standard system is a bit fiddly for light adjustment isn't it.
    I prefer larger bicycles with motors in them. I find that when they are used properly I get as much exercise as I feel comfortable with. The red one was Miss Box.a.bits (when she was little), & the other one hasn't been touched in 25 years - not since Mrs Box.a.bits realised that Wellington had hills. Probably should sell them.
  4. Left Testicle

Oddometer:
    Electric bikes appear to be everywhere. Seem to move along well. Suppose there will be a heap for sale soon as not being used.

Much more sensible than those things with snow tyres.
  5. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Kia ora my lil friendy. What do I read here??? Gus is to be shunted out the door to make way for the usurper? By jingos By crikey I look away for a few minutes & all the drama of one of those horrid reality shows comes to town.
    Please explain!
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Since you disappeared off the scene I picked up a sidecar - an ex cop R80RT sans fairing & Velorex 562 sidecar. Actually ex Igormortis & then EddieB. I've been bombing around on that for a bit over 2 years. The thread is over here. Heaps of fun. But a recent sojourn down South helped me realise that while it was very good at what it did, it suffered from a lack of ground clearance.

The rationale behind this bike is explained over here.

Gus has been pillaged for parts for this new bike, mainly because those parts are better for a solo. But he will be back in a few months as a sidecar, which will be a bit taller, & a bit more developed than the R80 was.
  7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Ahhh velly intelesting stuff. I have seen a G/S bombing around here the last couple of days & gotta admit they are the real thing. Those pics are bringing back all the hours spent in the lab with Schmidt. I wonder if he's still around or in a pile of boxes in the corner of a shed...
  8. Left Testicle

Oddometer:
    OK whose got a picture of Padders in his pocahontas outfit.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  9. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Tehehe
    Thats been retired for a while now
  10. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Merciless Thread Hijack

so wotcha been up to?
    still on your lifestyle block?
    hankering after bikes again?
  11. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's getting the itch otherwise he wouldn't be back here looking...
    Padmei and Muzz67 like this.
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    So paraphrasing Padders from an earlier discussion:

1. Stuff. Family, running, bicycling, windsurfing;
    2. Yes, but looking to move back towards the coast. Hoping to get involved in some future storm surge incidents;
    3. Definite not. Had a lifetime supply of frustration with Schmiddty. Has moved on. Wonders if the new owner has also compartmentalised him into small boxes.

I caught him in ADVrider because I'm still stalking him. He comes in occasionally to look at projects & the goings on in Shiney Stuff
    Padmei and Mark_S like this.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Talking of frustrations :baldy:baldy:baldy, the rear shock on the G/S is completely stuffed. As in no oil, binding in it's travel... :devildog:devildog:devildogThere may have been very rude words...
  14. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    easily solved - use the money from the tug to buy an ohlins
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 4 spare shocks in various states.... but not for a g/s. If not 1 thing it's another aye? You will get there... maybe with a few more $$ though
  16. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly the G/S shocks were cheaper than the para.

Hello everybody again. Boxa got it right above. Not into bikes anymore but enjoy watching others throw money away on completely irrational rushs of blood to their head purchases :eyes
    Te Hopo and Box'a'bits like this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Padmei. You will come back into the fold. Once it's in the blood it's hard to break the habit:bubba
    Padmei likes this.
  18. Left Testicle

Oddometer:
    And for a mere $1400 he could have one delivered to his door and on his bike. Chicken feed to these coperates working in the capital.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Actually calculated at a mere $1700 based on current exchange rates....enough to cause Mrs Box.a.bits loud switch to activate. I like a quiet life, so we are still mulling that one over.

The proceeds from the Tug sale helped pay back some funds I appropriated for the G/S & RT purchase & collection, so are not available for any additional items.
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is it that the cost of a new shock turns that loud switch on? My experience is that fettling with 2nd hand units wastes as much money in the end as having bought the new unit and the cost of the improvement is worth it in handling, safety and comfort.

I remember puting an ohlins on my old g/s. It made the back end handle so well that the front end flex became so obvious that it was scary:dirtdog. But at least you've already sorted that issue.