The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I put an ohlins on the pd all set up by rt. Was mainly for off road but the difference in handling on road was night and day. Blew me away to be fair.
  2. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Oh, and hey padders
    Padmei likes this.
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    yes Steve we really truly believe you...........

:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    innathyzit likes this.
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Further progress report.
    Brakes swapped across from Gus, but leaving the stock mastercylinder on both bikes. That meant the calliper moved from a 13mm piston mastercylinder to 12 mm, which will suit the 2 pot Nissin brakes better.
    • Popped the calliper pistons out & cleaned those.
    • Also unscrewed the calliper bleed nipple & unclagged that, as it had blocked (mud – no nipple cover).
    • Reused the stainless braided YZ250F brake line, looping upwards to suit the bend in the banjo.
    • The G/S brake fluid was very dark (unsurprising given other finding on this bike), so benefited from a good flush

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Re-purposed the crashbar brackets to hang the horn from, & made some wiring extensions to accommodate the new location. It's not as close to the header as this photo appears to show.

Made up some brackets to hang the front indicators off the forks tops. Possibly a bit light weight, but it's what I had available. The indicators are somewhat hidden by the tombstone fairing, so I may need to rethink these. The indicators are another set of items on loan from Gus. I need to wire in some resistors - the fronts have 10w bulbs & cause the indicators to hyper flash. I had issues with a short, which I remedied.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Discovered some more bodges from the PO.
    • Different sized fuses in the fuse holder. These are supposed to both be 8a ceramic continental items. There was a 5a(?) & a 16a in there.
    • Also noted some more creative welding on the pannier frames.
    I have left the pannier frames in situ for the interim - & mounted one of the Mosko Moto pannier wedges on the left side to allow easy transport of my laptop & gear to work.

MD has generously saved the day with the supply of a stock G/S rear shock. While this is 30+ years old (& possibly showing all of that), it is oil tight, & works. A bit softly sprung & damped. I’d forgotten the elevator ride that the the G/Ss give – rising under increasing throttle, collapsing under a chopped throttle.

Interesting to see the evolution of the G/S Bilstein shock over time. The earlier shock is on the left. The spring top sits hard against the battery...The way the later shock is made gives more room there.

[​IMG]

I have also swapped across the HPN tank. While visually I prefer the smaller tank, the HPN is more practical.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I took the G/S for a test ride Tuesday night – and blew out an exhaust header just around the corner. Good job that didn’t happen on the motorway. So my new left header has been christened with road rash, & we can move on with life...

[​IMG]

And this morning I took the G/S into town for the first commute. More nimble than Gus, & actually feels taller. Better brakes front & rear. The lower gearing also makes a big difference to feel. Haven’t had the bike fast enough to make a call on any turbulence from the tombstone fairing. A little pinking under load from the right side – I’ll need to check for air leaks & maybe rejet in the weekend. Different exhaust, so unsurprising. Very pleased for an initial run. More work to do, but while there will still be minor progress, things will have to slow until more funds come to hand. Still very keen to import a new shock & some pannier frames.

Focus now needs to shift to Gus & the sidecar. That'll start with setting up the new forks & rebuilding the gearboxes.
    Zebedee, Te Hopo and Mark_S like this.
  5. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    put the original tank back on - it looks way way better with it

[​IMG]

gus's tank would make much more sense on a gas guzzling side car tug
    Te Hopo, innathyzit and Phreaky Phil like this.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So when are you going to lengthen the swing arm...?:thumb looking good.

Road rash... did you drop it? :ear
    Te Hopo likes this.
  7. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R100GS Bumblebee tank gives the best of both worlds, still looks good but more distance.

[​IMG]
  8. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    is that the same as the r100r 24L tank?

for nz conditions 24L is plenty
    under 20 is a PITA and over 25 is compensating
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Happy with what I've got at present.

The header slipped out of the exhaust & slid down the road, over the gutter, & into some grass. So extensive road rash. I'd had issues getting the new exhaust to fit nicely. My fault for not checking that I'd tightened the exhaust nuts up again.
    Got one (24 litres), but it's going on Gus. The HPN tank doesn't fit if the sidecar mounts are fitted.
    No, that one was the earlier 26 litre jobbie. The capacity on similar tanks went down to 24 litres when they started fitting flush fuel caps.
    Well I am one stone lighter after the cancer op...
  10. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    If this came ever came up for sale again I'd be very tempted to buy it back.
  11. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Needs a single seat
  12. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I dunno I found the 35 litre tank with my apalling fuel economy only just adequate.
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  13. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    its interesting that, IMHO, the tank change transforms the bike from modified classic to modified mutant (not that a mutant is necessarily a bad thing)

Is that your first one - which for some reason I thought was an 800?

[​IMG]

yebut most sane people get a minimum of 15km/l out of the typical 800-1000 adv bike so 24L = 360k which is a decent range. because you are special you needed 35L to get the same distance.......
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    You'd have to fight for it. They are fetching premium prices now
    I looked, lusted, & decided that was a fight for another day. Expensive by the time you add up all the bits needed
    Practicality rules. Though I am tempted to get a fuel tap spiggot off Boxer Odyssey to make the G/S tank a bit more practical. The current set up only has one tap, which means while you notionally have 19 litres (including reserve), in actuality you miss out on what sits over on the right hand side, so it's even smaller.

Actually, what I need to do for cosmetic purposes is to paint the bike (including the tank). That would bring the thing together a heap more. But ruin it for what I use the bike for.

It was. It was just the fuel tank was from the later 1000cc Bumblebee
    I dream of getting 15 km/litre....I need to follow Phreaky Phil's example & get an Innovate wide band air fuel meter, & set up the carbs properly.
  15. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yup 15 was a good day. 12 was normal. Under 10 with the Mikunis (ran nice though) Did Phil ever sort his Mikunis out? Phil?
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooops. That sucks.

It is nice having it look like a show pony for a few months. But I just ride it and let it gain its patina again naturally:-)
  17. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    we have 3 cars - all of which do better than 11km/l and one of them is 3.5 x the size of an airhead.

I thought your 91 ran fine with the stock bings - certainly snappier than my GSPD.
    be interesting to see if the 91 gets the same 15-16km/l that the 93 got seeing as it has the carbs off of the 93. Higher compression should improve mileage shouldn’t it?

I do have a secret advantage though - a certain gentleman in Raumati does the tuning on my airheads
  18. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gee 15km/l sounds good last two solo rides just about hitting 20km/l
    :jack:rofl:jack
    WR
  19. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes that's the one, as Stephen said it was an 800.

Technically though that was my 2nd G/S, but that was the first one you guys knew me with. This was my first, it was built in the first 6 weeks of production of the G/S so was definately one of the earliest. I still have the rear subframe from this bike tucked away, with the seat lock crossbar reversed for single seat fitment.

[​IMG]

@Whale Rider whats happening with your special build?

@Box'a'bits how much ground clearance was there with the R80 mono, and how much will Gus-hack give you?
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    So that is the one that you should never have sold... Think of all the money you'd have saved not buying subsequent bikes. Is that a yellow spring I see at the back? Solo seat & rack. The second G/S was getting up there in mileage.