The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah bro ant you fella's down in suit and tie town heard of a bungy cord. Been running one for years. Seat never comes off. Suppose me sitting on it helps as well as why would ya stand up when ya got a perfectly good seat. Fucked if I nose. You felkas sure do some stupid shite
    innathyzit and Manakau.KTM like this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Impressive number of things ticked off the to do list there. Bike looks great!
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    WANDERING AROUND WHANGANUI ADVENTURE RIDE - 25th Aug 2018:
    Decided to leave later on Friday, given the weather was supposed to be poor, & go straight up SH1, rather than my usual ‘find an interesting route & run up some miles pre-event’ strategy. However the weather cooperated most of the way up, so no weather related issues.

By Bulls, I could see a heavy rain band ahead, so decided to stop there, gas up, & find coffee.

Given the work I’d done 2 weeks earlier, decided to put in 10 litres of 91 there, just to see how the G/S would go on that. As it happens, it runs well on 91, with just a smidgeon of pinking at full throttle / lows revs / high load, as you would expect.

‘Coffee on the MOOve Cafe’ for a coffee. Okay coffee, but there seemed to be an issue with using their loo...

Just as I was jumping off the bike, I noted the left pannier moved more than I expected. Turns out the PO’s weld on the frame had broken. Good in some ways, as I had been procrastinating about how I would fix this. But rotten timing. I McGuyvered a short term fix using the Mosko Moto pannier straps & later picked up some camlock straps at Mitre 10 Whanganui to further support this.

As I was working on the bike, a 4WD & trailer passed. In the trailer was a dead cow, just starting to bloat. More on that later.

I’d booked a room at Tamara Lodge backpackers – almost as cheap as tenting, no rain concerns, gear security, & less weight on the bike for the next day. That was $42/night, & when I rocked in they’d upgraded me to a double room, no extra cost. The lodge is an old Edwardian buiding, very nice, with kitchen facilities available. Perfect.

[​IMG]

That night cooked up a roast pork toastie for dinner (leftovers) & then walked down to the Cossie club for a quiet one with Oaters.

Saturday ride assembly was at the Dublin St Shell Service station, 8.30am, with just enough time for a quick coffee & riders briefing before the 9.00am start. I was Tail End Charlie, as we were using the cornerman system.

Out to Bushy Park, & then the wilds at the North Eastern portion of Whanganui. Mostly forestry or bush, very few farms or private dwellings. Huge views off the ridgelines down into some valleys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Night Falcon, Kempy, & ClintNZ. Photo courtesy of Evled

Because the morning run was going so well, at the Apex of the morning loop (Kauarapaoa Scenic Reserve), Phil decided to take us up Rangitatau East Road, on an ‘in & out’ ride as far as the gates to the Jean D'arcy Conservation area. You know that there is limited traffic when there is deer on the road, & a grass strip up the centre line between wheel tracks.

[​IMG]
    The Super Tanker, then DazzaDM on the Tenere, & Phreaky Phil & Dawn Patrol.

Then strangely, I saw the same 4WD & dead cow on trailer from Friday part way up that road. Don’t know what the intent was there.

[​IMG]
    Voltaire & Mrs Voltaire, followed by Rosie!. Photo Courtesy of Evled

[​IMG]
    Rosie, Hobbyhorse & Kiwi Alan. Photo Courtesy of Evled.

[​IMG]
    Oaters & the Super Tanker. Photo courtesy of Evled

[​IMG]
    Turnaround at Jean D'Arcy Conservation Area gates. Photo Courtesy of Dawn Patrol

The return run down Kauarapaoa Rd as it neared the river was a bit greasy in places as a result of what I assume was forestry traffic. Night Falcon took a wee diversion across into the watertable, which I found mildly amusing. I was fairly convinced we’d need a shovel to dig him out, but he seemed to do well himself.

Gas up (for some) at Dublin St SS, then off for lunch at Upokongaro, at the 4Forty4 Cafe on SH4. Mince on toast & a coffee – very nice thank you. Met up with Penny & Igor there.

[​IMG]

Shortly after resuming the ride, turned up Te Rimu Rd to link to the afternoon loop. A few shallow fords across small streams – another minimal use road. That linked into what eventually became Whangaehu Valley Road. I arrived at the end of a wee breakdown part way along that road where someone’s battery terminals had loosened. Easily resolved.

[​IMG]
    Photo Courtesy of Evled. Igor & Penny - Airheads Rule

Riding into heavy showers towards the top end of that loop, including a bit of hail. Being Tail End Charlie meant very short breaks at the regroup stops, & difficulty taking ride photos. Dazzadm peeled off here, to go work nightshift

[​IMG]

The weather then improved as we moved away from the mountain. Evled, Colin, Night Falcon, & Scrambler Paul peeled off at Ongo Rd, to head home.

Sun strike became an issue from here, especially on shaded corners.

Final regroup at Fordell, then everyone disbursed to their overnight accommodation.

14 of us had a very convivial dinner at the Whanganui Cossie Club. I can recommend the Lamb Shanks.

Slightly sluggish out of bed Sunday, then the long cruise home. Coffee with Oaters at Bulls. I’d decided to main road it home, & visit mum & dad on the way. That was partially driven by concerns regarding my pannier frames again. On Monday I’ll start to figure out how to fix that.

Pleased with the way the G/S behaved this ride, though it was a bit thirsty on oil again.
    Mark_S, dazzadm, Phreaky Phil and 7 others like this.
  4. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know a grinder will fix most of the problems with those pannier frames. Weld on some new lugs and attach it properly...:thumb
    Nice ride report. I thought about calling in last night but jobs at home had got away on me and I ran out of time. Today heading out via the Rimutakas. Hopefully the weather behaves....
  5. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    What happened to the puffy cow on the trailer?
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That wasnt the same cow we passed twice on the morning section was it? Looked like it was getting past dog tucker to me...
  7. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dhorse :dukegirl :puke1
    Muzz67 likes this.
  8. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Nice RR
    thanks
  9. brfoster

brfoster Baile Atha Cliath

Oddometer:
    @Box'a'bits, just found this photo that you posted years ago.

I have been thinking about getting a 2 into 2 Keihan exhaust system for my R100GS. I was just wondering what your impressions were.

Would love to get some real life experience before spending the money. TIA
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @brfoster, don't do it.

I found the exhaust system had a strange fit on the R100GS & looked not so great. The rear exhausts would never line up at the rear. The 'H' pipe meant that ground clearance disappeared. The exhaust has to do a kink out at the right rear to miss the paralever. You lose the centre stand, or have to have one custom made. My impression was that this system was built for the G/S (because of the popularity of the Dakar bikes), was attractive to the spam can brigade because you didn't need to work around the exhaust, & was then (poorly) adapted for the GS.

Admittedly I was also having carburettor issues at the same time which also coloured my thinking. That turned out to have nothing to do with the exhausts (choke leak).

I've since ended up with a second set on another (wrecked) bike. Ironic.

I've used the headers (which was the bit I was originally buying the pipes for) in a custom exhaust system. Note that these are 38mm all the way thru', not necked down from 38mm to 36mm at the headers, like the stock system. So unable to work with the stock collector or other 'Y' pipes without an adapter being made.
  11. brfoster

Oddometer:
    @Box'a'bits, thanks very much for your thorough appraisal.

On my R100GS, I currently have a set of the 38mm Keihan headers and Keihan Y-pipe. This is fitted to an aftermarket s/s muffler via a custom connector piece. I have been looking for an alternative exhaust system because the aftermarket s/s muffler is just far too loud above 5-6000rpm to be ridden without fear of being pulled up.

Based on your comments, I don't think I will be parting with my money any time soon.

I will probabaly return to the standard BMW muffler which I have had gutted and rebuilt with new s/s internals.

BTW, what is the "spam can brigade"?

And what did you mean by ".....because you didn't need to work around the exhaust"?

Thanks again for your advice.
    Cheers,
    Brian

P1060010 (500x375).jpg

PS. I also have a 1984 R80G/S shedfind that needs a lot of work. Do you have any experience with the 2-into-2 system on an R80G/S?
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @brfoster , one other option to your stainless can is to look for an OEM can off another bike brand. Often these have few miles on them as the owner switched to something that was a bit more open. I used an SV1000 can, which is quiet, a bit heavy, but was only $50. Just make sure:
    1. It doesn't have a catalytic converter in it (or arrange for that to be removed) - heat & weight;
    2. It has mechanical baffles, rather than being a straight thru (& usually repackable) pipe
  14. brfoster

Oddometer:
  15. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If box a bits is worried about aesthetic's you gotta agree that is serious ugly bad off the Richter scale type ugly.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    We talkin Harley prototype Adventure bike ugly or worse? :yikes
  17. brfoster

Oddometer:
    @Box'a'bits, do you have any of the "H" pieces left. Or any of the mufflers?

I would be interested in buying them if the price is reasonable. I have another project in mind where I may be able to modify them to suit.

TIA.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Nothing is an ugly as that Pan American Harley. That has really set new low standards.
    @brfoster - Yes, I do. I'll need to dig them out & PM you once I can show you what they look like..

Jake (ADV950) modified a pair for his HPN Replica. They worked well on that.

[​IMG]
    brfoster and dazzadm like this.
  19. brfoster

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Box'a'bits. That's exactly what I had in mind for my twin-shock bike.

Interesting looking rear subframe on that bike. Custom-built I assume?
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is a highly customised bike. Worth a read of his build thread. Unfortunately he ended up selling it - he has back issues & couldn't ride it.