The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, Tony's bike started as a R80 monolever (not G/S), and has been converted to a full 1000. He's had it dyno'd at 47 BHP at the rear wheel (comparable to my RS). Lots of torque. More mods than you can shake a stick at. 40l non HPN tank. Amal carbs (seriously!!). Its got a DR front end on it, and extended swingarm & driveshaft. He had it on TM for about $12.5k earlier in the year (only semi serious - he was looking at swapping to a Guzzi Quota). He's seriously quick in the gravel. Mark_S was complaining 'cause he wasn't king of the heap this ride...

[​IMG]

Yes rallys can be about standing round sinking piss & bullshitting. There are organised events (which I largely ignore). A large part of the rally is the getting there. I go to catch up with some friends, & to oogle other peoples bikes.

[​IMG]

Gus won't stay red for long. I'm not a big fan either. I don't need to worry about originality with him....But if I had a nice ghey gravel express PD - I'd probably leave it in factory trim. So thats why I don't have one, if you understand what I mean.. :wink:

Likely heading towards Basic colours (white, blue frame), or maybe bumblebee black & yellow with a view towards easy repair.

Steve
  2. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Got delivery of two couriers packages today. :clap :clap :clap One contained brake calipers from a Tardme auction.

[​IMG][​IMG]

But the other was more unexpected. A mystery box from Germany, I wonder what that could be!!

[​IMG]

The really great thing - It was way early - wasn't supposed to be manufactured until mid Sept & delivery late Sept. And even better - I haven't got stung for GST or other tarrifs for any of the deliveries YET.

[​IMG]

Kewl.... Looks like some quality time in the Man Cave this weekend

Steve
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Niiice. Is the tank plastic or metal- can't tell from the pics.

The adaptors should be made up next week so you can play with the brakes.
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    43l HPN Nylon tank. Hence the Supertanker label. :ricky Paintable. Ordered via Touratech. Surprisingly affordable given where the Euro/NZD rate has been.

Thanks for putting in the effort re the adaptors. Appreciate it...:nod
  5. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    43 friggin litres :eek1 So the 28L on the 640Adv that most people consider wildly excessive for NZ obviously wasn't nearly enough to satisfy your big tank fetish :lol3 That will look damn cool.

Usually if customs are gunna charge ya GST they'll want the cash before they release the package.

Cheers
    Clint
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    At the moment, only getting 35 mpg (US), so might need all of that. :wink:

I've had one of these tanks before...The tank sits in a pannier type arrangement, over the cylinders. Not likely to fill more than 30 litres, as a full tank is a little hard on the suspension. The result is more gas, but also the fuel sits lower than the original tank & central, so you don't notice the increase in weight. The tanks nylon, so better than the metal original in terms of 'crash resistance'. Also acts as a sort of fairing for the lower body. And looks way cooler.

If/when I paint it I'll leave a line running down the tank, so I've an inbuilt fuel gauge. :thumb

Its super cool :wingsto just be able to ignore the fuel stations for the day....

Need to get it mounted quickly - Mandy is eyeing it up for her emergency water supply (in case of earthquake).:rofl :rofl

Yes, GST is usually charged before you can take delivery. I seem to have missed this for all of the deliveries made this time around. No doubt they'll hit me on the next time I want to import stuff. :lol3

Steve
  7. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    I'm real happy that you're recieving all these goodies for your BMW but where the hell is my susp linkage bolt???? :rofl
  8. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will they use all the fuel ? or do you get stuck with 10 Lt's sloshing around the bottom of the tank. Its a nice looking tank.
  9. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You had better hope its not with my BMW order, they tell me that the boat arrives in Melbourne 20/10/10 :eek1
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    KTM.....Backorder....:dogThe meaning is the same. Why the hell do you think I decided to sell the bike to you...:wink: .

Shit Dude, you don't mean to say your actually using (rather than just looking at) it??. As I said in that other forum, best to just park it. Would it get a WoF? Really don't think its safe in its current state. :rofl

KTM got into the financial crapper with the GFC, & I don't think they've kept their spares up. But real happy for you to start chasing Josh at AFC on my behalf - I don't think that'll change anything though. I've just sent another chaser e-mail now....

Thanks Mitch. No they are really good if mounted properly. You can scavenge all the gas. I understand that may not have been the case on the R1100GS tanks.

You need to abandon those new fandangled GSA's & go back to airheads. Huge aftermarket parts supplies, all over the world. No issues...:rayof
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    After impuning KTM Parts supply, just got off the phone with Josh at AFC, who tells me they had a delivery of backordered parts today, & that the linkage is in that shipment. I've asked him to send directly to you...:D. I've also sent you an e-mail.
  12. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    go on
    fess up
    you told me you've had the linkage since you sold the bike and you just wanted to fuck with whatever his name is

cheers

the krl wannabe-er
  13. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I've said for the past 20 years. But in those 20 years I've never come around to painting the tank so I've always got an easy to see gas guage.

Thanks for the thread.
  14. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way the tank sits you're able to use up nearly all the last bits of gas. I've gone 450 miles (a repeated trip from Abq to Denver) w/out filling up.
  15. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Steve. I am patient really I am. Was just giving you some stick.

I have always been XTC on here. Used to be xtc on kb until I dared to reply to a thread from a guy wanting to know where to get a trike made up. Got infracted and told in no uncertain terms by Joni that spank wants nothing to do with trikes on his site what so ever. I called her a dick :eek1 And that was the end of xtc on kb. :rofl

Oh by the way..... I'm coming down on thursday the 16th of this month (next week). Catching the ferry at 8pm. If I'm in wellington way too early (may not be likely as I'm riding an SR250) can I chill at yours for an hour or 2? You can show me your lovely BMW and I'll promise not to poke fun at it ok?
  16. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Far Canal .I thought the PD tanks were big.Will you be able to keep the fairing.i think not
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yep, be pleased to see you. I was just giving you shit back. I'm really not that sensitive...:cry

Care to take a small wager on it? I can if I want to modify things, ie add in about 7 cms into the roo bars, and chop the fairing.

[​IMG]

I've put up a thread in Old School, looking for people that have done this before.

But may also look at dropping that & putting in an 8" race light ala Baja Designs. You can get an H4 conversion for that. One big advantage of that is that its easy to mount. And can come with mounts for an electronic speedo. My preference is for the Acewell 3100 series at present

Or I've got a spare R100 headlight shell lying round here. The issue with both is it opens a whole new can of works with indicators, speedos, tachos etc. Still debating that.
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Is that meant to be Baja designs? You mean a big round ring thing with a headlite inside it like a XR 250 Baja ?

Do you really want to keep the fairing? They do look a lot stauncher without them but the wind protection is a big bonus.
    Shit it's gonna look goodmate well done.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of cost in modifying whats there. But I'm considering my options at present, because I don't want to start chopping things up if I later change my mind.

I might actually have to go an interim route first, using stuff I already have here, pending getting some more money together, ie cycle speedo, R100 Headlight, existing indicators with interim bracketry to fit. Really want the big tank on sooner rather than later..
    [​IMG]

Think something like this would be pretty achievable.

Going the other Baja Designs or rally light route would be spendy, but I may be able to flog off the existing fairing & instruments (which is why I was so surprised you'd attacked yours). And yes to a cool factor that would be off the scale, :bubba but at the expense of practical weather protection.

BTW the KTM proceeds are all gone now, so the spendometer will be dropping dramatically. :lol3
  20. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    won't the lack of wind/weather protection be a big negative?