The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Enjoyed Newboys build up (spread through a no of sites). You did the right thing negotiating with him directly - otherwise I'd have competed with you for your bike! :wink:. But have to say I'm enjoying this build up process
  2. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm happy to see more of us lavishing some attention on these old bikes. I still have a long list for sure!

Would like a closer look at your HPN/Acerbis tank rear mounting point. My bike is missing the bracket. Do you know if they sell the brackets separately? Although I have thought about getting the mounting point welded to the frame.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Don't know if they are available separately, but wouldn't be too hard to get one made up. Effectively a u-bolt to hold the centre of the frame, & a winged plate over the two downtubes.

[​IMG]

Have a look in my web album. There are a few more photos with it there.
  4. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I think I'll try and get one made.
  5. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Can you guys stop bragging about your big tanks? Some of us are feeling a little inadequate:wink:

Igor mortis feel free to post up some shots of your bike in either airhead thread- it's always goodto spot differences in setups for ideas.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Dropped the sump to replace the leaky gasket & took a couple of photos while I was down there for interests sake.

The 'bits' in the bottom of the sump appear to be non metalic, like gasket material. Generally happy with the fact that there wasn't really any sludge down there..Those four points in the corners are the bolt holes for the bashplate. On the slightly deeper RS's sump there was baffling to stop oil surge. Nothing on the GS.

Looking up into the engine, you can see the filter housing to the left, cam followers mid shot, & oil pick up screen. The dip stick is hanging down just above that. That rough casting going thru the centre is the engine mounting bolt housing

The new sump gasket (not pictured) is coated & bonds with heat. But I have put a very light smear of gasket eliminator on this to help shift the gasket next time I need to drop the sump.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also for Padmei a couple of pictures of the bashplate off the bike.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Big day tomorrow. Expecting the shock down from New Plymouth, and the light in from the States (I can see its been through NZ customs from the UPS track & trace). Got the H4 conversion rings this afternoon. :rayof
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The shock arrived this am. :rayof :wings

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Niiice! What's the part no. on that piece o' gold?
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    46 DRS shock, BM 836 (which is the set up no).

The final shipment arrived this afternoon. Now all I need to do is make them all work together, legally..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Thanks fr the pics of the bash plate. Those new bits look fantastically fancy:clap sigh...:cry

It'll be interesting to see how the Baja is fastened on. Whats the other lite for? Are you gonna swap the baja lite for the other one or something? wait let me guess - the original baja is right angled & the other one is left??
  11. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool!! looking forward to seeing the final product.
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Sell the KLR!. What do you need it for now you've converted to the BMW fold? :bmwrider Then you'll be able to do what I have...After all what you're seeing is an optical illusion. It's not really a BMW - its my KTM 640a!

The pegs on the light frame slot into the receivers that are 'jubilee clipped' to the fork stantions. The receivers are the black rectangular bits on the right side of the photo. They are precurved to match the fork legs. There is an e-clip to hold that in place. Remember this is set up as a race light. All will become clear as I put this together.

The spare light is the H4 conversion. Unfortunately I can't use the 8" race light legally here. It doesn't dip at all!! Its real impressive in the flesh though :wings

No more than I...:wink: As I said earlier, having bought all of this stuff, the challenge is now to make it all work together.

Here's the standard shock painted yellow to look like an Ohlins set up. The frame needs to be ground down to fit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I didn't actually file it down. Too lazy. Angle grinders are much more fun...

Et Voila, the real deal.

[​IMG]
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow impressive work mate.
  14. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff! Would it be possible to run the 8" race light as high beam with a lil supercheap driving light next to it as your dip beam? I spose switching to dip could be a bit scary though...

I've often toyed with the idea of setting up a bigger light on the 640 as the stocker is crap, but I don't really do enough night riding to justify the extra weight.

Cheers
    Clint
  15. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I'm tempted to do a "night light" HID H3 type 4" or so round light.
    Make it removable and it'd be sweet.

For "night light" read "galvanic lucifer" for those that read Neal Stephenson :D
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I was negotiating with someone in the US for a used version of these lights with a 55w HID Hi / Low. But when he eventually got around to pricing discussion, he wanted USD 525 for it (he started at USD 550, & dropped USD25 as a negotiating ploy). :huh

Also, it wouldn't have been e-marked, and then there was an issue re bulb replacement if that ever went south. Finally, HID have a delay before they fire. Imagine switching between Low/ Hi & having a delay in the lights coming on. :eek1

The H4 won't be as cool, but is likely more practical. Don't really want to add another light.

One other issue that's become apparent is that the receivers is 15.5 cm long - but the gap between the triple clamps are 15.0cm. So I either need to machine down a groove to match in the receivers, or maybe space out the triple clamps more (spacer between the bearing & triple).
  17. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    I've got an H4 hi/low HID kit here.
    When it goes onto high a solenoid pulls the bulb back so the arc is where the high beam filament is. No delay.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    No that wasn't what was being offered. He was offering Hi / Low in one bulb, no moving parts. There were separate slimline ballasts etc. Unsure as to how he achieved that (saw photos of all assembled component parts except the bulb), & getting supplies of the bulb would be problematic except thru' him. The thing certainly pushed out some light though, & it was suggested that low could be used all the time & hi fired up as necessary. Then his website said this wasn't recommended :huh

I've got an uprated alternator anyway, so don't need to limit current draw. Can put in some grunty wiring & a relay & use 100+w bulbs.

I considered that if I was building a what is effectively an end goal of a RTW bike, I'd be better to go with components that were more easily available.

And whilst I recognise the individual components were worth a bit, wasn't prepared to pay his asking price.
  19. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed Steve - your 'garage' skills are clearly considerable - nice thread - watching with interest - just don't forget to spend some time with Mandy and your daughter - onya / Carpe Diem S :norton :clap
  20. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    I think my type is called a "bi-xenon".

The sphere is where the arc is and when high is turned on it moves back to the gap in the shield letting light out the bottom as well.

Attached Files: