The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should get this moved to the Olds kool thread Steven.
  2. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    with a few more threads like this and Padmei's there might actually be some regular visitors to this neglected corner of the advrider workd

feck I need to get out for a ride :eek1
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    FITTING THE HPN TANK - Part Two
    Lights

The Baja Designs Light receivers are too long for the space between the triple clamps. I had originally thought to have these machined with a 2.5mm groove slot each end to allow the to slide in but Airhead Wrangler suggested a simpler solutions would be to put a 5mm spacer between the triple clamp & bearing (he's done it on his bike).

I needed to look at the steering head bearings in any event because they felt loose. Given how they loosened on the Kiwi ride, I'd hoped these were fresh bearings, that needed tightening as they settled in the grease. No such luck, though some of the grease wasn't old.

Unfortunately it appears the bottom one in particular needs replacement. A couple of those grooves feel quite pronouced. Bother...

I ran a strip of weld around the inside of the bearing cups, & they effectively just dropped out. The main bearing on the bottom triple has been more problematic. I broke & removed the cage, carefully ground the shell down, & finally split it with a cold chisel.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The upside is that I guess I can now put the spacer above the bottom triple clamp, which is a better location anyway. The spacer (5mm alloy cut into a thick 'washer') is a little crude, but will do until I can get something better made up.

Fitting the tank:
    Had a go getting the tank to fit properly, so that there isn't any rub, & with space for a little flex. This meant getting out the hacksaw to remove a portion of the one of the relay bracket. I have seen other bikes with still in place, so this may not alway be necessary. It was a 'peace of mind' thing for me, because it rubbed.

I've moved the heated grip controller further towards the frame (but basically in the same space as before). I also need to make up some 90 degree brackets to secure the Enduralast regulator. Need to get some more alloy plate.

[​IMG]

Modifying the seat:
    [​IMG]

This might be why the seat didn't always latch properly.

Next up was the seat. Needed to take a portion of the front side edges. Decided to take the seat foam off, to ease this process. Cut some triangles off, so that the seat pan matched the contour of the tank.

Unfortunately it still didn't fit properly. In my journey to remedy this I cut some 'relief' holes in the pan to allow for the tank fasteners (which I have since refilled). Shifting the seat securing front 'prong' back a cm was the actual solution to that problem.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably also unnecessary, but I've also shortened the seat pan, where this rides up onto the tank, to help it sit better.

I'll cover the rear side of the relief holes with plastic before I recover the seat, so that these don't end up letting the foam take in water. I'll used plastic that I've cut from the top seaction of the seat pan.

The crappy stuff on the pan is glue. This just peels / rubs off.

[​IMG]

Not 100% satisfied with the seat mod. I should have attacked The front of the seat/tank interface with Mandy's sewing machine, & run a seam & another piece around the front, instead of trying to tuck & gusset this. I may try again. Or not. The seat needs additional height, & I want to take out the cut out between the rider & pillion, so it'll be re-made sometime. And the original vinyl is slippery...
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Bugger me but that looks nasty...:rofl Mock up, none of the electrics tied in, no instruments, no barkbusters, & the seat cover still to be reattached. But starting to take shape. Eventually there'll be a small screen.

[​IMG]
  5. guzzitony

guzzitony Guzton

Oddometer:
    :eek1 getting pretty serious there matey----- gonna put some decent tyres on? :lol3
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup. The front IRC is well munted. :puke1 Knew that when I bought the bike. Still did okay on the Cold Kiwi trip. Got a part worn MT21 to go on as an interim front. I'll likely run the rear until it dies. Just want it up & running now. And Mandy is starting to squeek about the incidental costs.
  7. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    looking good

so have you given any thought as to where the first shakedown ride will be?

I have a black tractor in case you need a tow
  8. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't mind tagging along on that shakedown, myself.
  9. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    if he take too long getting his shit together we'll go on his inaugural ride without him
  10. guzzitony

guzzitony Guzton

Oddometer:

i could bring an extra 40 litres if we need it....:lol3
  11. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    What's our combined range then? :rofl
  12. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I still have mine I could tag along also.

Or maybe just crash the party on a Katoom.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Truth to tell, I'm stuck figuring out a dash for the bike. :becca So any ride out is still a few weeks away. For every issue I fix, two more crop up.

Originally intended to import the Trailtech Vapor with instrument lights (stealth + lights, bottom of page) from trailtech US, but they are quoting ridiculous freight costs, equivalent to the cost of the unit.

Maybe a Kosco from Procycles?

Or an Acewell like Nordie's.

Also, I've bought some indicator off a KTM (got chinese replacements on the back & the BMW indicators on the front were pretty banged up). But where to position the front ones?

Given I am replacing the stock instruments need to fill the hole at the gearbox.

Put the stock tank back on, & actually looks better with the new lights & revised seat. :2cry
  14. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Have you tried looking here in NZ? I know I've seen them on tardme.
  15. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I got my vapor on TradeMe.
  16. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics....?

And don't you dare say that in front of Mandy or you might find the rest of your budget has disappeared.
  17. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    +1

I got mine off TM also (off a guy in west akld) I also got the dash/light surround.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't post when I'm feeling frustrated...:D. Sometimes better just to walk away.

Yes, you are right, Xtreme wholesale is advertising Vapor speedos on TM, & their website shows that they can supply the dash assemblies, so they are getting my business Monday. This deals to the whole dash saga, which was starting to get out of hand (in my mind at least).

Other stuff:
    1. I need to get some ally sheet & make up some brackets for the indicators, voltage regulator, ignition etc.
    2. I can make a temp plug for the gearbox, or just use an old speedo cable (without the core cable) as the breather up to the frame. Simple.

Re cosmetics:
    1. Need to order barkbusters (or similar), just to tidy the front end a little. The handlebars still look too tall, as is;
    2. The reason the old tank looks better is because its painted red...like the rest of the bike. So the new tank will look better when the rest of the bike matches it....:wink: (but not necessarily in the nr furture).

Progress again.

I bought the Baja Light because it looked a neat ready made solution to mounting, & I thought I'd use the bucket to hide the electrics ala all the /7 BMWs. But it means a lot of wiring because the plugs won't fit. Need to ponder this further.
  19. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    changing plugs on the wiring wouldn't be a big issue for a man of your skills!
    I agree sometimes they do get frustrating but have some time out & it'll all fall into place.

I got quoted approx $300 for a vapour with idiot lites etc for the BM. The acewell is such a better looking unit - & round like the headlite - you gotta go with one of those bro:evil

Keep an eye on my thread for developments with my driveshaft....
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Ordered the Vapor & Dash through Xtreme Wholesale (West Akld)....via Trade-me.

Did you see the thread in Olds School re the Acewell. Looks like they have issues? But I think you may mean the Motogadget like Boxer Odesseys?

Prefer the Vapor for cost & reliability. Waiting delivery before starting in on the wiring. Expecting this Monday / early this week.

Umm, too late.....

I've now fitted some Barkbusters (VPS, which give room for the longer levers on the BMW), and also made up a bracket for the KTM indicators. Both those bring various elements of the bike together somewhat, and now give a solid feel to the bike in the cockpit.

Made a blue with the oil cooler lines :shog . They foul the bolt securing the right crashbar mount. I've slightly bent them in towards the engine block to alleviate this now, but will need to be looked at again next oil & filter change.

Need to empty the original tank to see, so that I can see if I can get the dents out easily :pope.

Given Padmei's recent experience with his final drive, thought I'd better check mine & change the oil. I hadn't done that yet. Whew...the oil was nice & honey coloured. Just a little dirt in suspension. Much better than the gearbox oil. :clap

Still haven't looked that the final drive pivots, or lubed the FD driveshaft U-joint spline.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also took the opportunity to check & clean the rear brakes. Greased the pivots on the rear brakes - it seemed apparent this hasn't been done for a while.

Moving forward , had a look at the brake pedal. Took off the plastic cover (single screw at the bottom, two clips at the top). The brake pedal is held on with an e-clip. The cable is held on the pedal with a pin, which then clips back to the cable (Padmei you'll see it if you get into this). The pedal has a bronze bush, with 'divits' to hold grease.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've also run a wire from the pedal to the front engine mount, to keep the pedal from getting bent at any time (common dirt bike mod, and I had that sitting waiting to get fitted to a bike). The pedal is just pressed steel, so prone to bending. And it looks trick anyway...