1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    looks like a good trip mate, was great to see you and Mandy.
    Thanks for sharing it all with us :clap
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wed 4th Feb:
    Was an off the bike day given the storm that rolled through overnight, & also the fact that the big day yesterday had inflamed my tendonitis so much I struggled to pull the clutch in. And it was time to deal with the toxic pile of socks & jocks.

So we walked into Cromwell for lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then rode out to old Cromwell for coffee & a poke around & another coffee. Showers & fine periods all day.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably should have gone to the dinner that night, but didn't (unsocialable bastards unite!).

Thurs 5th Feb:
    Today was the only planned & official ride we managed all week. Up Mt Difficulty to the celltowers, giving sweeping 360 degree views down over Cromwell, & the Gibbstown valley. We volunteered to be tail end charlie, given Mandy was on the back again today, & we were always going to be the slowest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following that, we did a bit of track work thru the forestry around the back of the Highlands Motorsport Park to the Café attached to that. That's run to a very high standard. Good coffee & cake.

But going back to the forestry track, Shrek managed to get things a bit crossed up there. He was going thru a water logged rut, which hid a diagonal tree root. That flipped the rear end out sidewise, the front hit & climbed a strainer post, & the bike ended up most of the way over a fence. Certainly spectacular from the rear view. The bike was a little difficult to get down due to the front wheel being impaled on a warratah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a bit of time wasting doing tracks around the lake, during which someone managed to break a toe on a hidden rock.

[​IMG]

The day ended with a ride into the Bendigo ruins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch & coffee with Jeff & Jo again at Fusee Rouge in Cromwell (we were pimping for the café).

Then home to get tidied up for the prizegiving night at the pub. Got Mandy a nice new pair of summer weight Neo gloves. Jo got a cruiser leather bag.

Coffees back in the campervan at the Bannockburn site, then eventually home after 10, in the rain.

Fri 6th Feb:
    Packed up the tent & the bike (guess who gets to do that). The weather for the day was an improvement over Thurs.

[​IMG]

Bypassed the Wings Over Wanaka airfield. Didn't know we'd have time. But we did stop in Wanaka for coffee, fries (for me) & Cake (Mandy). That place has developed since we were there last...

The trip through that area stired some memories from the late 80's when I rode thru there with Mandy, my elder brother (in a support car), & a few friends on other sports bikes. We came from the Haast side, which was all very good seal. As we hit the crest, the road turned to gravel. Very exciting on 16" wheels, & probably very entertaining for the tourists that were stopped on the crest. At that stage the top of Haast Pass to the turn off to Wanaka (past Lake Hawea) was still gravel. That same trip we sat on the Lake Wanaka side & waited while the MoW guys blasted rocks to widen the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lake Hawea

[​IMG]
    Fantail Falls, Haast Pass

We stopped at Haast for some whitebait fritters (to meet Mandy's trip requirements). That business is for sale if you fancy doing something like that.

[​IMG]
    Curly Tree Whitebait Co, Haast

Mandy could tell I was getting tired just short of Fox Glacier, when I cocked up a corner coming off a one lane bridge. Had to have a couple bites at it. For a time, I thought we were going to over shoot it.

Stopped for the night at Fox Glacier, at the Top 10 Holiday Park. Took a lodge room, which had external & internal entrances, & hallways to the loo & to a huge communal kitchen. Not a hell of a lot of cheap dining places at Fox Glacier. We ended up having seafood chowder at the pub.

Sat 7th Feb:
    The aim of the day was to get back to Nelson, to set us up for the final leg to the ferry Sunday.

[​IMG]

Stopped at Hokitika for lunch, from the New World. Had a Hawaian Loaf & a yummy chocolate twist on the beach, washed down with coffee from the New World. Better than café food.

Went back to the New World to use the loo. Was waiting ages, & was starting to be concerned what kind of smell I'd need to deal with, when this older chinese lady rocks up & barges past. I told her 'after me, you'll be first', but she just marched up to the door, banged on it, it opened & out peered 4 or 5 other chinese women. They all laughed at me, & she slipped in. What the hell were they all doing in there. I gave up.

[​IMG]
    Road / Rail bridge, north side, north of Hokitika

There was a van crash in the Buller Gorge. Looked like he'd lost it in gravel & took out a tree. Not bad. But all emergency crews there.

Made Nelson, stayed at Tahuna Holiday park again. Had fish & chips on the waterfront.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Guess what - she fed the seagulls.

Sun 8th Feb:
    Slept in, the alarm didn't go off. Woke about an hour later than expected. Had a mad rush to get things packed up & breakfast dealt with, but ended up leaving at the time we'd orginally planned.

Caught another bike going thru the Whangamoas. What's up with that? I didn't think anyone was as slow as we were fully ladden...

Coffee & cake at Pelorus Bridge. No Wekas this time, but we did chat with a guy with a Monster, & did briefly catch up with Peter Tiebbs & his wife (BMWOR), who were also aiming to catch the same ferry.

Loads of traffic on Queen Charlotte Dr, some of which was courteous, but most of which wasn't.

Saw Jatz just before Picton, but we were already running short on time, so didn't stop. Tried to get lunch in Picton, but traffic was a nightmare, & didn't find the bakery, so gave up.

Got a reasonable position on the ferry, so sat back with some music on the earbuds, & vegged out. There was a moderate swell on, so Mandy didn't enjoy things quite so much once we were out of the Sounds. Google Maps is good for tracking where you are mid channel...

There'd been a Hot Rod festival somewhere down south. There were loads on the ferry with us.

[​IMG]

Home to find the weeds had grown considerably in the 2 weeks we'd been away, Grandma had blown up the microwave, & Katherine was out. Given we'd come home to celebrate her birthday....:dunno

HOME. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

Just over 3200 kms for the trip.

Maintenance 14/02/15:
    236,078 Kms. Changed the engine oil, & have changed the rear brake shoes. These were down to 2.00. New EBC ones show 4.5mm. so with the current wear in the drum, I can only use 2.5mm of the shoes. The old shoes were sticking, as the pivot was turned too far to allow the springs to positively retract the shoes after activation. Due for a WoF.
  3. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Triad underground gambling den? :hmmmmm
  4. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

In the early eighties Sarah and I were on this machine and had to wait beside a culvert for two hours on that road. I seem to remember an awful lot of gravel in that neck of the woods then. We had only just missed the 'GO' sign so had to sit in the hot sun and wait. I don't think that people would put up with that now.
  5. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Steve. A good way to get through a boring night shift.
  6. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Steve 😄

Thanks for posting them
  7. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Well, didn't I just leave town before I'd seen the country!

I will be asking your route advice before too long, Steve.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Coming home? Extended tour on the way?
  9. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Touring home was one of the plans. But the practicalities of saving in London don't really lend themselves to that option.

We're thinking of coming home for a bit to save for the next part of the world. We can still call it RTW, right?
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The issue we found was that the cost of getting from NZ to anywhere killed that option. It was cheaper to use the UK as a base, because the cost of getting anywhere was low compared to coming from NZ.

We lived really cheap in London (as in real ghetto rat hole holiday bedsits, but in a good area), which meant we could tour longer. But then that was 25 years ago, so things no doubt have changed.

Don't do winter to winter. Enjoy another summer over there.

Where next?
  11. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Summer to summer is the current thinking. We're gonna try some small trips while we're still here, but at the moment we need to squeeze them into small gaps in the rat race.

Next big trip would probably be the Americas, North to South, with 2 bikes. Some gentle summer touring here in the meantime. Then we have New Zealand to train in for the next one!
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    After some needling from Mark, I decided to have a look at the throttle assembly.

The throttle cam chain looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The slightly better one off the bent bike

The throttle tube & gears look like this.

[​IMG]
    This is just off idle

[​IMG]
    Whereas the gear teeth should look like this

Fair to say it's pretty poked, albeit that I've become used to it. I thought I'd be able to do a swap from the bent bike, but that also had issues, just not as severe. I've done a mix & match of the best parts from both bikes. But I guess I also need to order parts.

While I'm at things, I'm also going to do the steering head bearings, as they need attention.
  13. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Its gratifying to know that needling you provides for more than just my own pleasure.

parting shot...

your throttle reminded me of those old push bike twist grip gear changes - except those were relatively smooth

I bet the one on Igor's 'parts' bike will be useful for 'testing' purposes
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Das ist verboten, nicht von mir besessen
    I'll just have to suck it up & get in new parts.
  15. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I'm going to get a new chain wheel thingy as well
    you are welcome to my old one as it is a lot better than yours
  16. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came to a halt one day up near otaki one day due to mine flogging out on the black bike. I ended up doing from there back to home at 60km/h cause any more throttle and the gear would slip completely.
  17. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    Apparently BMW thought their geared set up was better than the conventional drum set up....
    Keeping the cable pull straight VS, a gear set, a chain and a cover...
    Replacing a worn set makes the throttle much smoother.
    From memory you end up with a new throttle body and grip.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's well worth replacing them with new ones. Makes it so much smoother and less stressful on the wrist. It made a vast improvement on mine when I did it. I also replaced the throttle lock screw on mine which had worn the throttle body as well, which helped reduce loading on the wrist at wide open throttle settings.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Doh! We are on the slippery slope. The 1st orange (house electrical) connector block has made it's way onto Gus. :huh

After I'd finished tidying up after doing the steering head bearings, I toddled down to get a WoF. Noticed the front brake light wasn't working, so failed on that. No issues, usually just the connector has sprung. Pull the tank off, nope not that. Okay, zoom home, pull the switch. Looks stuffed. Bugger.

Okay I'll steal one off the bent bike. That also doesn't work. Shit.

Oh, & look, the stock connector block has given up the ghost.

No connectors or appropriately sized heat shrink tube in the workshop. No surprises there - the day is getting better.

Okay, time to do a bodge.

The shame....
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    And ORANGE to boot, I've got some black connector if you need it...:evil