The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I have standards

I'll find someone else to ride with tomorrow
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tui's moment...:lol3
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Given the issues the night before, & that I'd missed VTNZ closing time Friday, thought I'd run down to Porirua VTNZ early ( they open at 8.00 am) to get the recheck out of the way, before I headed to Mark's. Unfortunately it looked like they already had an hours worth of customers when I got there, so I very quickly gave up on that idea. So I surprised Mark by being far earlier than the agreed 9.00am start. Don't worry Mark, I won't make a habit of it.

We filled at Waikanae Mobil, then headed across the Akatarewa's. I was reflecting that it was the 1st time I'd been up the Akatarewas from the west side since the late 80's.

I'd bought some replacement boots from Tme last week ($50, not bad for some Alpinestar Tech 3's, in good nick). This was to be a test run of sorts for them. Because they are entry level MX boots, they are stiff, with limited ankle articulation. I was interested as to how they would work on Gus. Initially I was finding some issues locating the rear brake.

Unfortunately we came across some 4wds just starting out (obviously intent on to doing some tracks), heading for the summit. Mark, I assume the front 4WD was getting a crash start? Certainly a LOT of diesel smoke. Mark managed to scamper through, but unfortunately I wasn't so lucky, so had to follow these guys up the hill. There are exactly the sort of drivers I have nightmares about. They were effectively racing each other, using the whole of the road, through the narrowest part of the hill road. Fortunately they didn't meet any traffic at inopportune times. You could tell that they'd been past on the slower corners by the diesel smoke screen. They pulled off & parked at the summit.

That allowed Mark & I a relatively quick but unremarkable run down to Upper Hutt. From there over the Rimutakas. Mark got through traffic better than me initially, but I caught up heading down, after he caught the tail of a longer rolling traffic jam.

Beautifully clear still day in the Wairarapa.

Tea, & a bacon & something muffin, & a bowl latte & herb & cheese scone at the Martinborough Village Café. I could have sat there for an age, watching the world go by. The town was busy - apparently there was some sort of brew event on.

This RS special pulled up while I was inside the café. Loads of time & effort in this one. I would have liked to have talked to the owner. Mark said it sounds quite unlike a normal boxer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backroads up the Wairarapa. Mostly sealed roads, but a couple of gravel sections. The earlier gravel stuff all seemed skittery. I got a squirt on the Triumph on a sealed section, but handed it back just at the wrong time (before the tighter corners). Lovely power delivery. Just about double the HP of a stock R100 motor.

Enjoyed Central Road thru to Eketahuna, once that opened up. But nearly had a moment on one bend when the front started to wash out on me. Enjoyed being marginally faster than Mark for once. I swear it was skill not tyres that determined that (Tui's moment ;)).

Late lunch at the Ballance Café. Bacon & egg pie & salad, & pulled pork tacos., & more coffee & tea. Looked like they'd had a very busy day. The place was full of Harleys.

Fiinally got across to the R Twin Works open day about 3.00 in the afternoon. There was a good turnout for the event. The Band the 'Froggs' were loud, but fairly good. Met Dazzadm, & oogled his bike. There was a reasonable crowd of the normal suspects up from Wellington & Kapiti, including Michael (on his new adventure bike), Bill Bieber (on his enduro special), Michael McKeon (R80GS), Norbert (on his R60 sidecar), & Boxer Odyssey (on his special). Also met Dean from Makara for the 1st time - he has a Bumblebee which I hadn't seen around, & another chap whose name momentarily escapes me, who has just moved from Nelson to Havelock North, who has a bumblebee R100GS, & an R80G/S PD.

Anyway, here's some of the camera phone photos I took of the bikes there. Some had already left by the time I got that out (including Dazzadm's GSPD), & Michael McKeon's R80GS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of interesting little snippets of information came up as we talked to people. One of those was that it seems Phil's tank & fairing likely came off Norbert's GSPD. He'd ditched those to build up a more lightweight GS. Norbert had bought the very low mileage bike from someone when Michael was still working at Motorad.

[​IMG]

We left after 5.30. Whilst I'd packed for a overnight / party, I decided a nights sleep in my own bed was sounding pretty good.

Missed the lasagne leftovers at home by this much
  4. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Moorespeed exhaust?

[​IMG]

The air filter looks like a Moorespeed item too, so I suspect there's probably some other stuff going on that we can't see.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Looks like it. The air filter was definitely Moorespeed (it was branded). :D
  6. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    So how is Kane, haven't seen him at the track for ages?
    He must be finding the supply of old BMW parts is drying up.
    I haven't seen any good parts on TM for ages.
  7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    So what was the event in aid of apart from the get together of fellow bikers? Has he opened a new workshop & shop? It looked like a great do. I would have liked to check out some of the bikes you've shown.
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    He seemed in good form (beers on board) when I finally got over to talk with him (say goodbye). I had a wander thru the workshop, & he has a good supply of parts / frames etc in. I understand that he's also the Siebenrock distributor here. We didn't get to look in the back room (I've been in there one other time), & I'm guessing that there was a heap more stuff there.
    The whole thing was set up as an open day for the workshop to raise profile for his operation, but I think there was also pressure to have a party at his place...
  9. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Was a fun day - thanks
    nice food with the odd bit of motorbiking in between

Riding airheads makes me appreciate what an absolutely brilliant road bike the tiger is

gimme an airhead on the gravel bits though...

btw the reason I stopped before shannon was to extract a bee from inside my helmet
  10. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to go to Kanes yesterday to pick up a few bits but when putting panniers on thursday night found a puddle of oil on my back wheel :eek1 final drive seal leaking :cry
  11. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great event; bikes, band and good times, what more do we need? :clap
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a good day. I got to meet a few new poeple and catch up with old freinds. Nice to finnally get to have a look at GUS. Thanks for letting me know about the day.:D
  13. RTwinWorks

RTwinWorks n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone who made it through to the Open Day, and apologies to those of you Kane forgot to tell.

It was awesome to have a chance to catch up with people socially and to see so many Beamers together.

It sounds like we're going to have to do it all again next year. We promise to be more organised next time!!
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Was supposed to be painting but decided it do a few little jobs on Gus, basically because I really couldn't be bothered with it (painting) today.

Disassembled the centre stand, lubed the pivots, & replaced the springs with fresher numbers. Perhaps it won't try to kill me again (it started to push the side stand down - do you know how hard it is to retract a fully deployed stand in a left hand corner?). The old springs are slightly longer than the new. I'm guessing thats 'cause they're stuffed.

Replaced the clutch pushrod pivot bush & bearing. The bush had some fairly deep scoring. Way past time to replace that, but last time I tried to do that, I couldn't get the bearing to shift. This time I heated & pressed it out in the vice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also swapped the MT21 front round. It's getting quite angled on the braking side.

Mark_S, I was going to come round to supervise progress, but we've got a roast lamb going on the BBQ, so decided that took precedence...
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    OOh I know that feeling, last time it happened to me I was riding a Ducati Sport 750... Almost made it round the corner, but clipped the back of a trailer from a passing car... $$$$ worth of fairing repairs later. Always check the side stand....
  16. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Is it normal for the centrestand to spring down and hit the ground when going over bumps, then spring back up and tap you on the heel as if to say "slow down".
    I find it quite comforting.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually find it's the end of the centre stand hitting my heels as I slide over boulders. Keeps reminding me I don't have enough ground clearance
  18. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3 you can only put it off so long mate.

Admittedly since I've been back the garden hasn't received a lot of attention as I'm still out riding every weekend :clap
  19. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    how many days painting have you actually managed yet?

I'm shattered that you chose roast lamb over my company.
    if the bits turn up I'll be working on it next weekend so you can bring me some roast lamb then
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    I've been painting this house 5 years. Not that it shows. I am a consummate painting procrastinator.
    Actually been fairly solidly at it. But need to erect some scaffolding to get a tricky bit, & am not too enthused about that (it's bloody high).

Bought some curtain material & a sewing machine, so that's next. Maybe this week.

Next weekend I'll be doing Takapari Rd, The 42nd, Fishers Track (maybe - still hate that), & the old Whanga Rd. :D. But I'll think of you. NOT. :D

The lamb & roast veggies were yummy.