1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like any oil leaking at lunch time...
  2. guzzitony

guzzitony Guzton

Oddometer:
    but bit of bad luck there chap. next time photos are taken lets see some SMILES thou eh , remember, this is fun!
    took my tanker for a bit of a ride the other day after i jump started it (tried pushing 3 times). lots of looong strait roads around here, fortunately some are gravel...........
    strait does get boring after a while thou, no matter how fast you go!

i do have motorbike racing in the streets a few metres away this weekend thou, bonus.
    cheers T
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    While your clearance is 40mm less with the sump, Ours is lifted 20mm higher with the Fork upgrade. Some of the side benifits of better handling.
  4. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Looks like an interesting day lads :clap
  5. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Plenty of changes needed:

some lowered footpegs
    Best thing I did

a back brake that actually reduces the speed of the bike
    Not gonna happen, but it is friggen handy to help get round tight gravelly corners

a throttle that doesn’t take forever to return to idle
    Set your idle at about 800 rpms, or just above cutting out speed.

all pretty minor stuff really
  6. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got some EBC brake shoes with the bent bike. And surprisingly, they work well. The issue is now finding a good compromise between settings for sitting & standing. Lower pegs would assist with this.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    That's the look of exhaustion. The tracks has deteriorated markedly since we last rode through there.
    Cool. Waiting on the photos :wink:
  8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

Oi, I have had an airhead for a year now so know everything:deal

EBC you say?

On another note ,fitted the ezipul throttle springs tonight and first impressions are favourable.
    And on another note, have been riding to work the last week or so because my car crapped out, but I bought some race castor oil for the Benelli to make it smell like a classic race bike (yea yea), but put some in the BMWs tank and it seems to run real real good (and smell cool). Throttle response, tractability improved a lot. Weird.
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    It only took 5 years to find something that worked. I didn't have a back brake for the first few years. They go hard with age. So they never wear out.
  10. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    I went to the brake and clutch place in Martin Square a couple of times to ask about re-lining the shoes with a softer compound. Both times they didn't wanna know. Disappointing. Especially since there were some old-timey vintage car linings sitting there when I asked.
  11. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26189462&postcount=34

Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Bro where did you get the brake resurfaced & shoes made? I got a price for shoes once & it was ridiculous.

Planing for the day when they open up my rear hub for a WOF & find there's not much there
    yeah my drum looked like it had been end milled by psychotic gerbils on P...

I got Bunter at Brake and Clutch in New Plymouth to do it - shoes were sent out over night came back at a bit under 6mm after radiusing - he chucked the wheel in the brake lathe and took the lip off the drum and trued the friction surface up... he reckons its good for another life-time as long as I don't use BMW shoes again!

even with the girly rear sets and dodgy brake rod geometry it bites but is progressive..

$175 including death and taxes all up including the shoes which were $85.00 + (extra thick material)
  12. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    anyone got a spare gs sump and oil pickup they want to sell?

my sump is out of square and the oil pickup is cracked and twisted

I even bent the oil pick-up mounting screws

I hope that I haven’t been sucking air all the way home....

Padmei's paranoia appears justified
  13. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've been riding it like a KLR haven't you.
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Kane at R Twin Works may be able to assist. :D
  15. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Jeeez mate, no point doing things by halves aye? :huh
  16. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I knew I shouldn't have sold Berliner. Sorry mark.

Nutso was there a serviceable front disk on the wrecked bike? Running on 3mm at the mo.

Re lowering the billy (idol get it) I've heard that at low billy(hehe did it again) the oil pump doesn't work as well if at all. Are you sure that the revs aren't hanging due to something else?
  17. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Quote thing won't work

Oil pumps are super efficient and are capable of blowing oil filters apart if the reilef valve is stuck, so at low billys (fuck) they will still pump pretty good pressure and if the oil light doesn't come on then it will be ok. Its quite common for engines to idle as low as 7psi when hot. In saying that, extended low rev idle should be treated with caution.

I also like my idling low cos I hate throttling off and not slowing down especially on tight going. That rear wheel lockup is good, and riding the GS slow on gnarlyness :clapis a lot of fun.

haven't had any major ground clearance issues yet to be fair.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the oil level you had in it after topping it up, I would doubt it very much
  19. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Actually on Odlins Rd I managed to move the klrs fairing across to the left 50mm and jam up the steering so its not me its the track

I also pretzel-led the radiator on the dt230 there as well

Ta - I'll talk to Michael first then Kane

Yup - next time I think 'man ... that was a good hit...' I think I'll stop and check things over

bastard - that was deliberate

I must admit to being a little surprised at how easy it is to destroy important bits although Odlins is probably the knarliest adventure track I know of (excepting cnut hill of course). Come to think of it - I've damaged every bike (4) I've ever ridden there....

Yes, in hindsight - overfilling the sump was probably a good thing as it ensured the two joins (it has an extension to sit the pickup at the bottom of the deep sump) were immersed in oil. the pickup mounting bolts where still good and tight - they were just a bitch to get out because they had bent...

The bike did seem to vibrate a lot riding home but that could just be rampant paranoia setting in....
  20. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This year the Odlin's Rd Award for trying to destroy a perfectly good adventure bike on the first ride, goes to.......